WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default Deep Creek Loop Hike

I'm looking at the map and trying to come up with a 4 day loop and wanted your opinions. Start at Deep Creek and hike the Noland Divide Trail to the Pole Creek Trail and camp at #57 (would like your opinion on this site -- looks like there are several sites within a mile of this one). Looks like about 12 miles on day 1. Day 2 would include hiking south on the Deep Creek Trail, to the Loop trail, and then north on the Sunkota Trail, and then south on the Martins Gap trail to campsite #46. Day 2 mileage around 10 miles. Day 3 would start by reversing back up Martins Gap Trail to the Benton MacKaye Trail to the Thomas Divide Trail to the Deeplow Gap Trail to campsite #51 (about 11.7 miles). That leaves 4 or 5 miles on day 4 back to vehicle at Deep Creek.
    I know this is a lot of back and forth in order to make a loop hike, but the area looks interesting. Any thoughts?

Journal Entries

One of these days I'd like to explore some loops on that side of the Smokies. The 1931 map is fascinating, and shows where all the old roads, trails, and structures were. At one time a road followed the creek all the way to Bryson Place, now CS 57. I googled for a bit of history, and apparently there's a bronze plaque there somewhere that was placed in 1931.

Maybe when you get done with your trip, you could let us know how it went, and post some pictures?

Images

I don't think the plaque is still at 57...

i have never ever been able to find it in the times I've been down there...

57 is aimed at horse campers---but I have never seen evidence of that when I stayed there..

there was a picnic table there from what I recall...

also---I really dug 46 and 51 when I stayed there---but that's when they were freshly open and a virgin campsite..

some people don't like them...

you might have to walk a little to get water.....

also---if you can make it to noland divide---there's a really nice overlook that most people don't tend to think of...

The plaque is still at 57, but it is not really at the campsite, it is off trail on the right a little further down Deep Creek trail. 57 is an okay site, but right at the junction of two trails. The picnic table is pretty much not there anymore (but that is true of almost all of the campsites on Deep Creek). There is probably not a lot of traffic through there, so being right on the trail is not that big of a deal, except maybe on weekends when I imagine there is a good bit of horse traffic around there. We stayed at 55 last year and I was not impressed (poorly maintained and there were trees growing into the bear cables), 56 looked like a much nicer site. We also stayed at 46 a few years back. It is a big site with a couple of nice tent locations. We had a group of 7 and it worked well for us for two nights. We chose it over the one on Deeplow because it had more room. That area can be very buggy, so be prepared for that. When we scouted a week earlier to decide which campsite we would use, the flies and gnats were so bad that we even had to eat lunch with our bug nets over our heads. We had more than one person ask if they could buy them on the spot! The next week when we did the overnight, there was no problem. Pole Road does have some creek crossings that will be tricky if there are any good rains before or during your hike.

image.jpgThis is the plaque near CS 57. Photo was taken last May or June.

I've hiked those trails many times. In my opinion Day 1 would be very taxing. Noland Divide would be a big climb, assumedly when your pack is the heaviest. And the last time I hiked Pole Creek it was littered with blow downs and multiple (12+?) stream crossings. I was exhausted after completing that trail. I wouldn't want to do it after 7.8 miles up Noland Divide.

Another option would be to start at the bottom of Thomas Divide trail and make the gradual climb to Newton Bald (cs 52). I like that campsite a lot. Day 2 take Mingus Creek to Deep plow Gap to Indian Creek to CS 46. Day 3 take Indian Creek to MArtin's Gap to Deep Creek to Pole Creek to Noland Creek to cs 61 (another nice site in my opinion). Day 4 back up to Noland Divide and then DOWN to deep creek. And I think you'd enjoy cs 52 and 61 over 57 and 51 if campsites are important to you.

Another cs opinion...I much prefer 46 over 51 in terms of campsites in that area.

Sorry just recalled the start of Thomas Divide trail would require 3/4 mile (?) road walk from Deep Creek to reach the TD trailhead. Takes a little shine off the route but still worth the effort in my opinion.

GSMNP 900 Miler
    Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by stir crazy View Post
    I'm looking at the map and trying to come up with a 4 day loop and wanted your opinions. Start at Deep Creek and hike the Noland Divide Trail to the Pole Creek Trail and camp at #57 (would like your opinion on this site -- looks like there are several sites within a mile of this one). Looks like about 12 miles on day 1. Day 2 would include hiking south on the Deep Creek Trail, to the Loop trail, and then north on the Sunkota Trail, and then south on the Martins Gap trail to campsite #46. Day 2 mileage around 10 miles. Day 3 would start by reversing back up Martins Gap Trail to the Benton MacKaye Trail to the Thomas Divide Trail to the Deeplow Gap Trail to campsite #51 (about 11.7 miles). That leaves 4 or 5 miles on day 4 back to vehicle at Deep Creek.
    I know this is a lot of back and forth in order to make a loop hike, but the area looks interesting. Any thoughts?
    I just finished up a crazy loop last weekend in this area... just to finish hiking all the trails in that section of the park.
    {My "loop" was walk the road to Thomas Divide Trail to Deep Low Gap to #51. Then Indian Creek back to Thomas Divide to Stone Pile Gap to Sunkota Ridge to Martins Gap to Deep Creek to Loop Trail to Indian Creek Trail to Deep Creek Horse Trail to Junkey Wank Falls trail, down the road to Noland Divide and back to Junkey Wank Falls via the Horse Trail.}

Except for Deep Creek itself, I don't really recall seeing much of anything of interest in this area (except for the rattle snake and later, deer in the campsite).

But if you do a loop that includes Noland Divide Trail, there's a cool overlook on a tiny side trail about 3.5 miles from the trail head in Deep Creek.
    The road walk from Deep Creek parking lot (the one near Junky Wank Falls) is less than a half mile, so it's no big deal to use to complete a loop.

Otherwise, the only thing in the general area I recall seeing that was really cool was a waterfall On Deep Low Gap trail heading towards Cooper Creek Trail.

So if you want a 4 day loop in the area, I would start from New Found Gap Road (441) at the Mingus Creek trail head. Camp the first night at Newton Bald campsite (#52, former bald, so no views, but I've always liked the campsite). 2nd day, hike down into the Deep Creek area and up to Noland Divide trail and spend the 2nd night on the other side of the divide at #61. Third day, hike Noland Divide to Deep Creek and either camp in the Deep Creek campground or #60 (closest back country campsite). Last day, hike any of the trails that will get you back to the Thomas Divide/Deep Low Gap 4 way intersection and take Deep Low Gap back to finish the loop. You can include the "wet" side trial of Cooper Creek if you're looking to mark all the trails off your back country trail map.

A few years ago I did a similar crazy loop to what HooKooDooKoo did. I really liked the nice views from Noland Divide Trail looking South. And the falls on Deelplow Gap were pretty great too. I was supposed to spend my 3rd night at Newton Bald, but some bad weather was coming in and I had plenty of daylight left so I went ahead and wrapped up the trip early. 53 miles in 3 days was pretty hardcore for me. Honestly was not my favorite section of the park since many of the trails were roadbeds and some were marked for mountain bike use.

GSMNP 900 Miler
    Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by madgoat View Post
    ...Honestly was not my favorite section of the park since many of the trails were roadbeds and some were marked for mountain bike use.
    Indian Creek Motor Trail, Thomas Divide Trail south of the Indian Creek Motor Trail, Indian Creek Trail south of Deep Low Gap, and Deep Creek south of Loop Trail are the only trails I recall being old roadbeds. Others are likely old railroad beds, but those tend to be much narrower than old roadbeds.

The only trail in the area bicycles are allowed on is Deep Creek Trial south of Loop Trail. However, I saw signs along some of those other 'old roadbed' trails that a few people are illegally riding their bikes on some of these trails as well. The only other trails in the entire park bicycles are allowed are Gatlinburg Trail and Oconaluftee River Trail. Bicycles are permitted on most public roadways in the park (including dirt roads like Parsons Branch Road), however
    However, due to steep terrain, narrow road surfaces, and heavy automobile traffic, many park roads are not well suited for safe and enjoyable bicycle riding.
    The obvious exception is Cades Cove Loop Road... especially when they seasonally close Cades Cove to vehicle traffic on Wednesday and Saturday mornings.

++ New Posts ++