Question Plus-sized hiking apparel

We are planning a section hike this summer and I have NOTHING synthetic in my closet so I'm starting from scratch. I'm struggling to find plus-sized synthetics. I wear a 20 or 22 in pants and 2x or 3x tops. I'd like to find a few things to wear/pack while staying in budget but at this point, I'm having trouble finding anything at all. Any tips? Where do you plus-sized hikers buy your clothing? TIA.

I get almost all of my clothes from thrift stores.

Old Navy Plus Size and JcPenny plus size activewear have been a god send for me for moisture wicking tops and pants.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

PFG (professional fishing gear) at Dicks sporting goods, bass pro shop and sports academy come in larger sizes, tend to run big ,are meant to keep you cool, have sun protection, and are quick dry. I like em.

my local Wally World and target have very inexpensive active/ fitness wear which isn't as good as the really pricy stuff but is fine for starting out. They have excellent sales if you keep at it.

Best of luck!

Hi there!
    Columbia actually has a fantastic selection of Plus Sized clothing for hiking. REI (online only) also has many selections.

I've recently lost quite a bit of weight but have a few pieces left over that would probably fit you. I'm happy to mail them if you are interested (maybe you could PayPal me the postage?).

Ross has some cheap stuff. It's not the brand, it's the fabric content that matters. Nylon, polyester, polypropylene, and wool are all excellent wicking fabrics and you can find them by just checking the label.

I ordered some capris plus size from Columbia. On sale for 19.99. They are very comfortable and cool

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thank you, everyone! I'll look into the places I haven't checked out already and see what I can find. I am also a big fan of thrift stores and Wal-Mart! I'm not picky, just can't always find my size. I had forgotten about Old Navy's active wear! And Hiking Mama, I'll be in touch about your kind offer!

You might also look at some men's clothing. I find that t-shirts are t-shirts for example, and lots of times the men's stuff is cheaper and sturdier.

-FA

I found decent stuff at Field and Stream of all places. My thoughts when passing the store were, "Hey, I see fat people fish all the time! Maybe they have something!" And they certainly did! So happy I tried them. I also use active wear pieces but I just love the actual hiking pants I was able to find there! Fit is so important. I loathe the men's clothing as it's just too ill fitting for me. When hiking it's so important to minimize the chafing!

Check Columbia and walmart for synethic tops and cut off a pair of Lularoe for hiking capri. They will help with thigh chaffing. Both are light weight and airy. Go for a good wool sock "farm to feet" or "Darn tough" They have support and cushion when you need it.

++ New Posts ++