Default Tent footprint; yay or nay?

I have a Big Agnes Copper Spur UL HV 1. I've used it and I love it. I've never used the footprint you can buy separately. I generally consider them extra weight and hassle. But on something as long as the PCT is it worth it? I could also conceivably use just the footprint and the fly to make a lighter shelter.....although since I would have the body of the tent with me I guess I don't see myself doing that. What do you guys and gals do?

I have the copper spur ul1 and used the footprint. It came included with the tent I bought from a guy on craigslist. I would never shell out the extra cash to buy a footprint if it wasnt included. I started the AT with it but switched the tent out for another shelter because I had condensation problems at the foot area. If you value the bottom of your tent being waterproof I would suggest going with some sort of protection from the rocks especially if you are going the entire length of pct. loSilnyn is abrasion resistant but not abrasion proof and will eventually start leaking unless you are extremely careful about tentsite selection and removing rocks. I would suggest you check out window insulation film called polycryo. It is extremely light, cheap, and somewhat durable. Its what many ultralight thru hikers are currently using. You can buy from gossamer gear but it is more affordable just to purchase at your local hardwear store or on amazon. And just throw another sheet in a priority mail bounce box so if you need to replace it you can down the trail

Some days, it's not worth chewing through the restraints.

long before you actually wear out the floor of your tent, you're probably going to get the urge to buy a new one anyhow

Depends on the ground - soft muddy eastern trails nay, hard prickly western trails yea. But a sheet of 3mil plastic works just as well as a footprint.

GAME 06

Absolutely you want some kind of footprint - mine is tyvek - on the PCT.

Why? Because on probably half the nights, or maybe a lot more than that, you will be Cowboy camping. That is not using any kind of shelter at all. You lay out your footprint, blow up your mattress (or roll out your pad), throw your sleeping bag on it and go to sleep (your cowboy hat, unless you forgot to bring it, goes over your face). When the weather is right as it often is on the PCT this is the way to camp. You lay there looking at the stars before you go to sleep and packing up at 0500 is a snap.

If you use a pad I suppose there would be no need, but most everyone seems to be using the air mattresses these days and they need protection from puncture.

I tent virtually every night and have not used a footprint for several years. I use reasonable care in selecting a campsite and after setting up and laying out my pad I do a quick feel to see if there is anything significant under the pad/tent. I remove as needed.
    Lonehiker (MRT '22)

Garlic
    Images

The silnylon floor on my Contrail survived the PCT, the CDT, the AZT and others without a footprint. After over 8000 trail miles, and 5000 more on an extended bicycle tour, the guylines attached to the canopy and the zipper finally wore out. The silnylon floor was still pristine. From my data, I'd say a footprint is absolutely not needed. Henry Shires' website mentions this, too, saying they virtually never see a tent come back for floor repair.

The nights I didn't pitch my shelter, I used it as a dropcloth and slept right on it.

I really don't understand why people carry them. When it's wet, it's one more wet thing to deal with.

++ New Posts ++