WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default Setting up a HG Winter Palace tarp on the ground

I have at least one backpacking trip in my future that is with other people and predominantly above tree-line in the Wind River Range and have been informed that for groups that it really isn't conducive to hanging, maybe okay solo. I would prefer to be able to take my HG CF Winter Palace tarp for the weight savings over my Duplex tent BUT I have absolutely no idea how to erect this tarp on the ground without a CRL and trees. I do use hiking poles but am not sure how to go about using them for setting up the WP on the ground.

Any advice or recommendations would be very helpful.

Journal Entries
    Images

I'll post up a few pics in a little bit
    Hiking the AT is “pointless.” What life is not “pointless”? Is it not pointless to work paycheck to paycheck just to conform?.....I want to make my life less ordinary. AWOL

Journal Entries
    Images

Stake all four corners down so your sides are somewhat taught. They don't need much length.

I use stingers and make a loop a little less then 6ft. That get staked out about 2ft past where the tarps RL tie will be.

Then I wrap my extended trekking pole as many times as it takes to not be to tight or loose.

Then repeat on the the opposite side.

And its done my side ties are only about a foot of cord. Use some trees and pitch it then mentally measure the corner distance.

Hiking the AT is “pointless.” What life is not “pointless”? Is it not pointless to work paycheck to paycheck just to conform?.....I want to make my life less ordinary. AWOL

Attach the first 3 guy lines. One in the middle off the plastic eyelett. One on each side, second from the end. I say second because the first one will be the door.

That's a cool choice for the Winds. The Winter Palace has a plastic eyelet in the middle of each side. You can put your pole upside down and wedge the pole tip into(onto) the eyelet. I'm saying onto because it isn't large enough to let any of my pole tips through but it is good enough to hold.

Now stake the three guylines and raise your hiking pole. The height of the pole and the length of your guylines will need to be adjusted ...

Keep the tension on and grab the second middle end to plant your second hiking pole through it, stake the middle guy line and then the other two (again on the second eyelet from the edge). At this point the tarp should be standing, looking like crap ;-). Adjusting the pole height to be the same on both poles as well as to the height so that the doors can be 'reasonably' closed.

Attach the guy lines for the remaining eyletts, stake them, attach the guy lines for the closed doors - I use the tiny short bungees you can buy at Walmart.

Well that is how I would probably do it. The only caveat is that I have always used mine with a hammock and never on the ground. I have, however practiced pitching it on the ground with hiking poles and with CF poles from ZPacks.
    Let me go

yeah, someone posted pics before I pressed post. :-) My description is really lousy. The photos are so much better ;-)
    Let me go

Thanks guys. I was just wondering, AfterParty, how well the doors close with that setup and whether you had tried it that way with precipitation.

If I had a Duplex, I would take it! But because I don't, I purchased ZPack Tent Pole Cups: http://zpacks.com/accessories/pole_c...ole_cups.shtml

I have only used them for Porch Mode Purposes and not gone to the ground as of yet. However, I feel that this is an easy lightweight solution and one that I will tests before my future thru hike. I want the option to "Tent" on Balds and in the yards of certain Trail Towns or Hostels. I use Tyvik as a groundsheet under my hammock currently, and occassionally carry a Thermarest Z-Lite Pad to make going to the ground as easy ass possible.
    "gbolt" on the Trail

I am Third

We are here to help one another along life's journey. Keep the Faith!

YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCik...NPHW7vu3vhRBGA

Journal Entries
    Images

I have a grizz beak on one end and it closes up around the trekking pole close to the ground. I have not yet been in the rain yet. But I'm not worried about it. It will offer me the same coverage as it would have in my hammock. And its done well in the wind and we got lots of it here. My pitch stays consistent I mean. I would assume the wp would be very similar with extra tie outs and doors. This is just how I figured out the most effiecnt way to pitch it. My rigged up HMG bathtub floor and 2QZQ beak stay always attached and the RL tie outs never have to change. I sold all my hammock things but didn't see the point in buying a different tarp and selling the one I already had. Its pretty much a 1 lb with stakes frankinshelter.

Quote Originally Posted by AfterParty View Post
    I have a grizz beak on one end and it closes up around the trekking pole close to the ground. I have not yet been in the rain yet. But I'm not worried about it. It will offer me the same coverage as it would have in my hammock. And its done well in the wind and we got lots of it here. My pitch stays consistent I mean. I would assume the wp would be very similar with extra tie outs and doors. This is just how I figured out the most effiecnt way to pitch it. My rigged up HMG bathtub floor and 2QZQ beak stay always attached and the RL tie outs never have to change. I sold all my hammock things but didn't see the point in buying a different tarp and selling the one I already had. Its pretty much a 1 lb with stakes frankinshelter.
    Didn't you just move to hammocks?

BTW, my dad was born and raised in Norton. Small world

Journal Entries
    Images

I did last fall. I just decided it is one or the other and hammock stuff sells easy and has its limitations. And some places hammocks are much harder or impossible to use.

Quote Originally Posted by DuneElliot View Post
    Thanks guys. I was just wondering, AfterParty, how well the doors close with that setup and whether you had tried it that way with precipitation.
    Yes I had it that way in at least two absolute deluge downpours that lasted all night
    the doors closed completely and my hammock with the quilts were dry. I also used it in the winter with the doors closed the hammock is warmer.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Let me go

++ New Posts ++