WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default Backpacking the Black Forest Trail

https://endlessmountains.wordpress.c...-forest-trail/

https://www.flickr.com/photos/492395...57682778970736

We backpacked a section of the beautiful Black Forest Trail a few weeks ago. We did a 20ish mile loop incorporating the BFT and side trails. This is a wonderful backpacking trail featuring many views, streams, some falls, and great campsites. The rugged trail goes in and out of gorges and glen along the Pine Creek Gorge. The weather and views were awesome. The creeks were running well, so there were plenty of cascades and waterfalls. The Pine Creek Gorge area is very scenic and we all had a great time.

Journal Entries

Nice pictures. If I didn't have so much good hiking nearby, I'd add this to my list.

Interesting how flat the horizon looks in many of your pictures, even though it isn't flat. Kind of like the PA elevation profile for the AT.

That's the difference between a dissected high plateau, and mountains.

Why is the BFT seemingly more popular than other nearby trails? (I was asked that once, and never quite managed a pithy answer.)

Beautiful, best time to hike the east, before leaf-out, people out and bug out.

Quote Originally Posted by ki0eh View Post
    That's the difference between a dissected high plateau, and mountains.

Why is the BFT seemingly more popular than other nearby trails? (I was asked that once, and never quite managed a pithy answer.)

I think because it is a loop with great scenery and many shortcut options. No other loop trail has the number of the BFTs scenic features, none comes close to the number of views. Comes down to the route and what that route offers. CKT could be much more popular if it took advantage of the stunning drainages in the area, and add some views. STS completely avoids the impressive meadow vistas in the Hammersley. The OLP maximizes the scenery of its route, and it's popular. The MST in Pine Creek rivals the BFT for scenery and is a high quality route, but it's linear. We should take the lessons of the BFT and apply to other trails, but of course there are limits to what trail care and volunteers can do.

I think jmitchell summed it up well. The CKT is also in need of some trail maintenance to cut back the over growth but otherwise a trail I enjoyed hiking last year. I would also like to add the 36 mile Gerard loop trail at Oil Creek State park in Western Pa is a great trail too. Several nice vistas, lots of oil history along the trail and some nice shelters to stay at.

Great pictures! I took my daughter on her first overnight on the BFT last weekend and am heading back out onto it in May. I saw my first rattlesnake and bear on the BFT.

This a really interesting and challenging area. I did the full loop with some friends April 6-9 and we had crappy weather that went from rain to sleet/snow to brilliant sunshine... wow, was that welcome! Highly suggest doing it counter-clockwise from Slate Run so that the northern half gets you warmed up for the southern half.

Some pics.

Quote Originally Posted by jmitchell View Post
    We should take the lessons of the BFT and apply to other trails, but of course there are limits to what trail care and volunteers can do.

... not to mention what land managers will do. I dare say there would be no way the Ravenshorn would be allowed to be on a trail if laid out today, and that's a shame.

++ New Posts ++