WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default Quilt temp for SoBo section

Looking to do another LASH picking up where I left off on the border of CT and MA, heading south to Harper's Ferry in a proposed 30 day span.

Is a 40* quilt going to be warm enough in June? Here's my gear: https://lighterpack.com/r/fjxn6c

Thanks!

Journal Entries

I believe you will be ok.
    Blackheart

You will be fine.
    Trail Miles: 4,980.5
    AT Map 1: Complete 2013-2021
    Sheltowee Trace: Complete 2020-2023
    Pinhoti Trail: Complete 2023-2024
    Foothills Trail: 47.9
    AT Map 2: 279.4
    BMT: 52.7
    CDT: 85.4

The comfort level of a quilt is quite different than a sleeping bag with the same temperature rating. Without going through rating numbers as others have already done on this site, I’ll just relay my own experience.

Ive found that no matter how tightly I tuck the edges of my quilt around me when I retire for the night, moving around in my sleep results in cool/cold air getting in.

I’ve tried a 40* quilt, was uncomfortable through the night, then went to a 30*. On a 50* night, I was still a little too cool, so I finally settled on a 20* which covers most all three season nights. Now I take it on all my outings.

The message here is to try one in your backyard before heading out. You can always exchange your quilt for a different rating if you need to.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

But as I hike I tend to get slightly dehydrated, which causes me to sleep colder than usual. That’s a factor you won’t see in the backyard.

Quote Originally Posted by Deacon View Post
    The comfort level of a quilt is quite different than a sleeping bag with the same temperature rating. Without going through rating numbers as others have already done on this site, I’ll just relay my own experience.

Ive found that no matter how tightly I tuck the edges of my quilt around me when I retire for the night, moving around in my sleep results in cool/cold air getting in.

I’ve tried a 40* quilt, was uncomfortable through the night, then went to a 30*. On a 50* night, I was still a little too cool, so I finally settled on a 20* which covers most all three season nights. Now I take it on all my outings.

The message here is to try one in your backyard before heading out. You can always exchange your quilt for a different rating if you need to.

Quote Originally Posted by Deacon View Post

Both are good points, I would suggest this now after reading his posts rather then just stating "you should be good to go". Research and R&D never hurt...
    Trail Miles: 4,980.5
    AT Map 1: Complete 2013-2021
    Sheltowee Trace: Complete 2020-2023
    Pinhoti Trail: Complete 2023-2024
    Foothills Trail: 47.9
    AT Map 2: 279.4
    BMT: 52.7
    CDT: 85.4

++ New Posts ++