WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default Hightop area trail conditions

I believe there was a storm that went through the area of Shenandoah National Park a few weeks ago, and there was much trail damage. I will have the opportunity to hike just a bit right after Christmas. I am hoping to hike just a few miles on either side of Hightop Mountain. If you know whether that area is fairly clear, or a real mess, could you please share? I'd really love to pick up a few miles if I could. Thanks. Pringles

Images

The AT is now cleared from Swift Run Gap to Simmons Gap. High Top is about 2 1/2 miles South of Swift Run Gap. Currently Skyline Drive is closed from Swift Run Gap South to Rockfish Gap. Shenandoah National Park web site says " Initial estimates indicate 100 down trees per mile. Once the road is cleared of down trees, crews will still need to assess overhanging limbs and chip trees that have been dragged to the shoulder." Although I know they have been working and are making progress. I recommend checking out their website and/or calling as you get closer to your date. https://www.nps.gov/shen/planyourvisit/alerts.htm. They also have a twitter account where you can get updates: @ShenandoahNPS. I volunteer with PATC and do trail maintenance. The Park in the South District and AT and side trails was hit very hard by the ice storm last month and it is going to continue to take a lot of work to clear the AT all the way South to Rock Fish Gap.

Furlough
    "Too often I would hear men boast of the miles covered that day, rarely of what they had seen." Louis L’Amour

Thank you for all the information Furlough. It sounds much worse than I had thought. I will call the park as I get closer to heading east.

++ New Posts ++