WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    PCT, Sheltowee, Pinhoti, LT , BMT, AT, SHT, CDT, TRT 10-K's Avatar

I'm a continuous footpath hiker more than an official route hiker. I'm going to start at Waterton Canyon because that's where I want to start. I'll start at the beginnning and walk all the way to the end and that to me is a thru hike.

Quote Originally Posted by colorado_rob View Post
    Waterton canyon is actually pretty cool, especially in the morning hours. That being said, the Roxborough Park approach is by far the best, with Indian creek being my least favorite. check out the Roxborough alternative, spectacular.

Edit: Oh yeah, just as with Waterton, dogs are not allowed in Roxborough. Stupid, I know, but those are the rules. Indian Creek is the dog-start way.
    Not to sidetrack post.....if flying into DIA on Sunday afternoon where would you recommend one stay to start at ICTH with a dog following morning, assume I would take transportation you described on sticky to Littleton Mineral ave station then uber/cab to maybe Castle Rock hotel? Uber or cab to TH in AM....what miles are in the burned out area as trying to avoid mid day....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Images

Quote Originally Posted by saltysack View Post
    Not to sidetrack post.....if flying into DIA on Sunday afternoon where would you recommend one stay to start at ICTH with a dog following morning, assume I would take transportation you described on sticky to Littleton Mineral ave station then uber/cab to maybe Castle Rock hotel? Uber or cab to TH in AM....what miles are in the burned out area as trying to avoid mid day....

I can answer the last part easily... Let's see, section 1 (starting at ICTH) is mostly forested, but I haven't been over to ICTH in a while... Anyway, the "normal" section 1 is about 17 miles, there are some nice campsites just a mile or two into section 2 still in trees before burn, but bone dry, so gather water at river (section 1/2 junction). So 18-19 will get you to a decent camp just into section 2. It goes up about 1200-1500 right off the bat (section 2 that is), so you would have that climb carrying your night's water. The next water is a couple miles into section 3, OR you can get water at the fire station near the end of 2.

Anyway, starting soon after this camp just into 2 is a few miles of burn area, treeless, hot, but should be in the morning for you. Then you're in a nice forest for a few miles, then back into burn for a few miles before the end of section 2.

So, basically, assuming you make it to near the end of 1 or just into 2 the first night, you'll hit the major burns in the morning.

Your first question: I personally would suggest staying in Denver area the first night and Ubering all the way to ICTH the next morning, vs. two ubers, and Castle Rock is kinda out of the way. There is a total flea-bag right along Santa Fe walking distance from Light Rail (earlier stop, like Oxford station, but check this). Maybe they allow dogs, I can't see any reason they wouldn't. Then you get up, finish train ride to Littleton Mineral, arrange you Uber.

Or stay in downtown Denver, there is a hostel, again, maybe they allow dogs.

Or, check in with CT trail angels, and ask around for their availability. Including myself.... I took about maybe 12-15 different folks to various trailheads over a couple years, if I'm around I could help. It is a pretty long ride to the ICTH, but not horrible. Are you going in September? I cannot remember.... I will be gone most of that month starting the Tuesday after labor day. I am around that Monday.

Images

Woops, forgot to mention flea bag hotel name, Essex House, very near light rail station along santa fe, which is the highway to Sedalia and ICTH the next day.

Btw, I'll be in and out of service next 5 days, if you have questions, response might be delayed.

Quote Originally Posted by colorado_rob View Post
    Woops, forgot to mention flea bag hotel name, Essex House, very near light rail station along santa fe, which is the highway to Sedalia and ICTH the next day.

Btw, I'll be in and out of service next 5 days, if you have questions, response might be delayed.
    I'll pass on the S$&? Bag hotels....newer la Quinta not bad and allow pups I see one lil both west of Littleton....

Quote Originally Posted by Mags View Post
    I think the fact that the CTF lists the alternate starting points themselves on their website means these points are "official"..whatever that term means FWIW.
    Your logic is flawed. The fact that they mention alternative starting points/trails simply means that they are cognizant, to their credit, of some users particular needs i.e. people hiking with dogs, or those wanting less road walking, or any number of additional reasons. The designation of the CT's route is comprised primarily with MOUs with the USFS and with informal agreements with a couple of other agencies (Denver Water Board(?) and the BLM). I could be missing an entity but the point remains valid.

I think if you actually read my posts you will find that in no way am I discrediting anyone as to where they begin their trek of the CT. Nor have I implied that they haven't completed, for certificate purposes, the trail. Simply giving the OP a perspective to consider when choosing his starting point.
    Lonehiker (MRT '22)

Getting out as much as I can..which is never enough. :) Mags's Avatar

A good day to you Mr. Holyoak!

Rob and I went with "official" vs OFFICAL.

But you and I obviously disagree for reasons that are pointless to get into.
    Last edited by Mags; 04-26-2017 at 19:18.
    Paul "Mags" Magnanti
    http://pmags.com
    Twitter: @pmagsco
    Facebook: pmagsblog

The true harvest of my life is intangible...a little stardust caught,a portion of the rainbow I have clutched -Thoreau

Don't get me wrong, not doing Waterton does grate on me for those reasons. I'm torn between wanting to do "the route" and wanting to walk trail from the beginning vs. road. I recall one year Waterton being closed and folks were routed onto the Indian Creek Trail. But as long as it's opened, yeah it's something I have to think about.

I have the ability to be out in Colorado for about a month staying with a friend and co-worker. I might just plan on hiking the alternates as a lead up to my section hike and at least have a look. That said, I could hike the road and then know what it's about and then not have to start at Waterton at all, having already hiked it. Then again, I could bring my MTB, which I'm likely to do anyway, and bike it. Though that wouldn't count as hiking....decisions!

It's more about what I want to recognize as a continuous or of-icial hike other than the times when I want to be officially recognized by the official recognizers... who I recognize as official... which oh so thank you Baby Buddha I've gotten over.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
++ New Posts ++