WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default Check out Oldest and Youngest on the AT! Ellie and Gray Beard together

Alex: What does Connecticut have to offer us?
    Melman: Lyme Disease.
    Alex: Thank you, Melman.

Journal Entries

That is really cool. You just don't know who you will meet on the trail.
    Blackheart

oh my goodness. are they thru-hiking with that baby? I don't even know what to say.

Yes, they have a web site www.ellieontheat.com, but it hasn't been updated lately. Sacajawea carried her son using a baby board, as shown on the back side of the old dollar coin, half way across the country during the Lewis and Clark expedition. Her son went on to become a concert violinist, mostly performing in Europe, including for Beethoven.

So the baby isn't hiking it? I don't think that counts.

My money would be on a bet that the kid in that carrier is miserable.

Quote Originally Posted by rtfi View Post
    Yes, they have a web site www.ellieontheat.com, but it hasn't been updated lately. Sacajawea carried her son using a baby board, as shown on the back side of the old dollar coin, half way across the country during the Lewis and Clark expedition. Her son went on to become a concert violinist, mostly performing in Europe, including for Beethoven.
    Now that's just a Sack a ja wee wee!
    "gbolt" on the Trail

I am Third

We are here to help one another along life's journey. Keep the Faith!

YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCik...NPHW7vu3vhRBGA

Quote Originally Posted by egilbe View Post
    So the baby isn't hiking it? I don't think that counts.
    just ridin'

Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by rtfi View Post
    Reliable historical information about Sacagawea is very limited.
    "Though I have lost the intimacy with the seasons since my hike, I retain the sense of perfect order, of graceful succession and surrender, and of the bold brilliance of fall leaves as they yield to death." - David Brill

Quote Originally Posted by -Rush- View Post
    Reliable historical information about Sacagawea is very limited.
    So are Ellie's thoughts...
    When you get to those unexpected situations in life where it’s difficult to figure something out, just ask yourself, “What would MacGyver do?”
    See ya!
    Rickles McPickles

The pictures I have seen make it look like Ellie is happy. If they are hiking about 8 hours a day, she does have to ride in the holder for those 8 hours, but the rest of the time she out and about.

The drawing of Sacajawea for the back of the old dollar coin was based on a modern Shoshone woman, as there are no photos or even drawings of Sacajawea. There is only a brief description of her in the written logs of the Lewis and Clark expedition, but that is it. "Sacajawea" means "bird woman" so it is theorized she was either petite or beautiful, or both, and that is why she was given this name. She must have been a tough lady, and has always been an inspirational person for me. She was a great long distance hiker!

And of course, so predictable, this cool post about youngest and oldest hiker veers off into multiple subjects wholly unrelated to the original post. In short order I expect that we'll be discussing guns, LNT, bear bags, water treatment, wild speculation about the Quirin family's parenting techniques, breast feeding and God only knows what else.

There should be a "White Blaze" rule sort of like hiking the AT; just follow the white blaze (original post) and you won't get lost. Instead, some people, mostly repeat offenders, see a deer trail or even an old part of the trail and take off down that path and miles later they realize they're going the wrong way or maybe they never realize they left the trail (threads original subject matter) but they just keep on going because their ego tells them they can't possibly be wrong.

Kudos to Gray Beard and the Quirin family!!

Quote Originally Posted by Majortrauma View Post
    And of course, so predictable, this cool post about youngest and oldest hiker veers off into multiple subjects wholly unrelated to the original post. In short order I expect that we'll be discussing guns, LNT, bear bags, water treatment, wild speculation about the Quirin family's parenting techniques, breast feeding and God only knows what else.

There should be a "White Blaze" rule sort of like hiking the AT; just follow the white blaze (original post) and you won't get lost. Instead, some people, mostly repeat offenders, see a deer trail or even an old part of the trail and take off down that path and miles later they realize they're going the wrong way or maybe they never realize they left the trail (threads original subject matter) but they just keep on going because their ego tells them they can't possibly be wrong.

Kudos to Gray Beard and the Quirin family!!
    Yeah digression is the destined path of most forum threads. I'm with you good for them for taking their child! Hopefully some ideas and memories will stick.

Images

Alas, thread drift is a part of forum life, it ain't going to stop, so why add to thread drift by discussing, er, thread drift? Still, it is annoying, but again, here to stay.

I sure don't understand the comment saying that the kid must be miserable. My kids couldn't get enough of being outdoors, even as 1 year olds, they loved it. My shoulders STILL ache from carrying those little guys. Being outside is our "natural state", is it not? We only build in the alternative by our societal "norms".

Yeah, fantastic pic of those folks. I do wonder about the validity of saying that guy is the oldest. Is he?

Journal Entries

I said earlier this was really cool, now I see the expression on Ellie's face and believe she is thinking "Now why is Santa Claus on the AT?"
    Blackheart

Yeah, thread drift is terrible because in real life our conversations always stay 100% on topic.
    "It goes to show you never can tell." - Charles Edward Anderson Berry

++ New Posts ++