Red face PCTers in Yosemite

Hi, I was just wondering at what point do most PCT thru hikers reach Yosemite area? Northbound or southbound? Is it around July or June? Thanks!! ))))

Early to mid-July

Images

In normal years, late June. This year will be early July due to snow. There will be a few in late June but not many. In 2011, I hit Yosemite on June 26th and there was less than a dozen hikers ahead of me at that point.
    enemy of unnecessary but innovative trail invention gadgetry

I'd say the window will be wider this year. The permit system put in place has many starting later this year and has people more spread out. I'd expect to see significant numbers through out most of July.

Sobos should be passing through in September. I've often run into them in the 2nd and 3rd weeks near Yosemite. Though some faster hikers may come through before labor Day.

Hikers reach Kennedy Meadows South on average by June 15. From there it's about 10 days to Mammoth and another to Donahue Pass and Yosemite. That's with normal snow levels. This year is anything but normal!

I saw a FB post from someone who went over Forrester already only to bounce out at Kearsarge Pass after miles of snow only trail. My friend Danger, 4 timer, is there now giving it a try. I'll know in a week if he thinks it's worth the effort.

My source at Lee Vining who works for CalTrans clearing Tioga Pass each year says that the road into Yosemite may not be open until late June due to major avalanches and rock slides. The last time the Sierra had over 200% of normal snowfall on April 1 was 1983 and the road didn't open until June 29. Which means Tuolumne Meadows won't be open until late.

++ New Posts ++