Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Results 21 to 34 of 34
  1. #21

    Default

    I used a ~6x8 tarp for many years in all sorts of weather. A handful of times I wished it was longer. Recently changed to a ~6.5x9 for more coverage. Smaller sizes are easier to fit in marginal campsites which is one reason why I moved away​ from 8x10 size a long time ago.

  2. #22

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by AfterParty View Post
    I have a hood cord to tighten around your head, I just loop one side over the tarp and around the other toggle thingy an tighten one side. My snug pack didn't have anything for this porpose but since the sides are sewn I found the corner if you will tied on a shock cord loop and that gets hooked to the base corners and I'm amazed at how well it worked. It took me a minute to figure out. Because my poncho isn't really poncho like. Now I'm even more glad its the one I got though. I can throw that thing up in 20 seconds and not get up! Its not perfect and I have saved enough weight that will still be in a mss gortex bivy. It will do plenty to stop a howling wind the other end has a beak. I use as my head end so unless I need the poncho up. I got a great view.




    Thanks much!!

    I am going to play with my setup soon because the ZP poncho opens all the way up and should have some flexibility with the tie outs. Maybe angle it over the ridge line past the trekking pole because it has a grosgrain loop in the middle (shoulder area). Well, you don't know until you set it up and do some hands-on tests with different ideas.

    But I always luv-luv-luv it when stuff does double duty.

  3. #23
    Registered User
    Join Date
    04-06-2014
    Location
    Johnson City, TN
    Posts
    82

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by AfterParty View Post
    I have a hood cord to tighten around your head, I just loop one side over the tarp and around the other toggle thingy an tighten one side. My snug pack didn't have anything for this porpose but since the sides are sewn I found the corner if you will tied on a shock cord loop and that gets hooked to the base corners and I'm amazed at how well it worked. It took me a minute to figure out. Because my poncho isn't really poncho like. Now I'm even more glad its the one I got though. I can throw that thing up in 20 seconds and not get up! Its not perfect and I have saved enough weight that will still be in a mss gortex bivy. It will do plenty to stop a howling wind the other end has a beak. I use as my head end so unless I need the poncho up. I got a great view.
    .
    .
    .
    .
    Hmmm... I've just been using an oversized groundsheet. I roll the extra up close to the opening (pitched as a mid) and If splashing/weird wind gets to be a problem I just unfurl the extra and cover up. That or just tie it off to the top of the pole sorta like you did with the poncho.

  4. #24
    Registered User
    Join Date
    06-02-2011
    Location
    Neptune Beach, Fl
    Age
    44
    Posts
    6,011

    Default

    I love my new duomid but think I'd like to get a smaller, lighter option to pair with my Borah cuben bivy as the duomid is a mansion for me and the lil jrt....what size for me and sometimes lil pup? Ron has been great to deal with so likely buy again from him....Solo grace or something else worth considering??? Thoughts....


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  5. #25

    Join Date
    05-05-2011
    Location
    state of confusion
    Posts
    9,869
    Journal Entries
    1

    Default

    A shaped tarp provides better storm protection at lower wt than a flat tarp
    At increased cost, and reduced flexibility

  6. #26
    Registered User
    Join Date
    06-02-2011
    Location
    Neptune Beach, Fl
    Age
    44
    Posts
    6,011

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by MuddyWaters View Post
    A shaped tarp provides better storm protection at lower wt than a flat tarp
    At increased cost, and reduced flexibility
    Examples? Hexamid?


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  7. #27

    Default

    I have the Hex solo with the door flaps, .51 cuben. Only seen moderate rain with wind once thus far and it worked well with my clone of the ZP Splash bivy. I had the Pocket Tarp before and it didn't have quite enough coverage if the wind changed directions, as it always seems to do. I use this if the bugs aren't too bad and I don't have my pooch with me. The bathtub floor of the bivy is 1.0 cuben and the bivy weighs 6.4 oz with Momentum 90 and center zip on top.

    Hexamid solo plus Bivy_SMALL.jpg
    UL, because nobody ever asks "How can I make my pack heavier?"

  8. #28
    Registered User
    Join Date
    06-02-2011
    Location
    Neptune Beach, Fl
    Age
    44
    Posts
    6,011

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by cmoulder View Post
    I have the Hex solo with the door flaps, .51 cuben. Only seen moderate rain with wind once thus far and it worked well with my clone of the ZP Splash bivy. I had the Pocket Tarp before and it didn't have quite enough coverage if the wind changed directions, as it always seems to do. I use this if the bugs aren't too bad and I don't have my pooch with me. The bathtub floor of the bivy is 1.0 cuben and the bivy weighs 6.4 oz with Momentum 90 and center zip on top.

    Hexamid solo plus Bivy_SMALL.jpg
    Thx...I've got the cuben Borah bivi in reg/wide @ 5oz...only used in Co for few nights, so far so good but looking for lighter tarp to pair with it for trips with or with out the 20lb pup....love the cuben duomid but more wt and room for me/dog if weather forecast isn't calling for lots of rain....plan to do a few winter FT hikes with and without pup where would be useful.....


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  9. #29
    Registered User
    Join Date
    06-02-2011
    Location
    Neptune Beach, Fl
    Age
    44
    Posts
    6,011

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by cmoulder View Post
    I have the Hex solo with the door flaps, .51 cuben. Only seen moderate rain with wind once thus far and it worked well with my clone of the ZP Splash bivy. I had the Pocket Tarp before and it didn't have quite enough coverage if the wind changed directions, as it always seems to do. I use this if the bugs aren't too bad and I don't have my pooch with me. The bathtub floor of the bivy is 1.0 cuben and the bivy weighs 6.4 oz with Momentum 90 and center zip on top.

    Hexamid solo plus Bivy_SMALL.jpg
    How much coverage on other side of bivi and pole you have w doors closed?


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  10. #30

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by saltysack View Post
    How much coverage on other side of bivi and pole you have w doors closed?


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Hard to say because I've not put a measuring tape to it. However in the photo the tarp is pitched with about 6" ground clearance and IMO there's enough overhang that it'd take a fairly strong blow for rain splash to become a problem. With the doors secured, there is plenty of room on that door/pole side for gear storage and cooking, which I have done in the rain — no problem. Also, it can be pitched with the trekking pole canted over quite a bit so that it frees up space quite nicely.
    UL, because nobody ever asks "How can I make my pack heavier?"

  11. #31
    Registered User Cadenza's Avatar
    Join Date
    05-11-2012
    Location
    Tellico Plains, TN
    Posts
    291
    Images
    29

    Default

    I have several tarps.
    It's nearly impossible to say which is "best" because it depends on the situation.
    UGQ Winter Dream for cold weather hammock, UGQ Hanger 12 for Summer, HG cuben for fast and light, Go-light "Cave" for minimalist with a partner, etc.

    But if I could only have one,....it would be the 10 x 10 SQUARE tarp.

    There is a reason Japanese origami starts with a square piece of paper.
    The versatility and wide range of pitching options is unmatched by rectangles, hex, and cat cuts.

  12. #32

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Land_Shark View Post
    Rain,rain and a little more rain? 10 x 12 is what i carry. This allows for dry area to yard sale every night/day without water interference. The curious question i have been asking hikers this year is how do you setup in the wet and keep your survival gear dry? Answer: large tarp (light weight) packed on outside of bag set up first. So many on trail this year are missing this idea. This is why they are wet and everything they own is also. Etowah tarp 10 X 12 , 14 OZ

    Wish th I could find polycro in that size. Until then just a little smaller but so much lighter.

  13. #33
    Registered User
    Join Date
    03-16-2015
    Location
    Chaumont,Ny
    Posts
    958

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by cmoulder View Post
    Hard to say because I've not put a measuring tape to it. However in the photo the tarp is pitched with about 6" ground clearance and IMO there's enough overhang that it'd take a fairly strong blow for rain splash to become a problem. With the doors secured, there is plenty of room on that door/pole side for gear storage and cooking, which I have done in the rain — no problem. Also, it can be pitched with the trekking pole canted over quite a bit so that it frees up space quite nicely.

    Yes enough space even pined to the ground in bad weather mode. I don’t open the foot box on my quilt. If I do it ends up outside the tarp and damp from dew. Im 5’10”. Wish they still made a Deschutes in Cubanfiber

    thom

  14. #34

    Default

    Not a "tarp" exactly, but the Tarptent Notch is on sale right now for $256, and you can order it without an interior. The fly weighs about 16 oz, and would be large enough for you AND your gear to stay dry in a rain shower.
    I love mine, and if I didn't have a thing against bugs, I'd have ordered it that way (sans interior)

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
++ New Posts ++

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •