Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 52
  1. #1
    Registered User
    Join Date
    03-13-2005
    Location
    Damascus
    Age
    57
    Posts
    6,392
    Images
    53

    Default Damascus Ordinance

    No more tenting for hostels here in Damascus except for Trail Days

  2. #2
    Registered User
    Join Date
    11-20-2002
    Location
    Damascus, Virginia
    Age
    58
    Posts
    30,805

    Default

    well that's crock. what genius came up with that?

  3. #3

    Default

    Doesn't sound like a very friendly gesture from the friendliest trail town on the AT.
    Appalachian Trail Shuttle Drivers List
    Ron Brown GA Shuttle Driver Atlanta to Fontana Dam:# (706) 669-0919
    Trail Miles: 2730
    AT Completion Miles: 1192.7

  4. #4
    Registered User
    Join Date
    08-08-2012
    Location
    Taghkanic, New York, United States
    Posts
    2,507
    Journal Entries
    11

    Default

    What I recall from Damascus was the number of signs prohibiting things.

  5. #5
    Registered User
    Join Date
    03-13-2005
    Location
    Damascus
    Age
    57
    Posts
    6,392
    Images
    53

    Default

    I don't know how this is going to fly, the more I think about this the more it upsets me. I have complied with everything that was required of me to operate this place. I'll never forget when I went to get the license for Crazy Larry's and I had someone opposing it, I had to show parking, I had to do this and I had to do that. And then I finally got called to the zoning board and they told me they were going to wait for those who opposed me. No one showed and they gave me the license and planned on giving me the license whether the people showed up or not.

    At the same time I will not get too upset about it because I understand what they are doing. I see tenting coming back but there will be rules in place and enforced. The old administration never bothered with it, the new administration is taking care of business. Besides the ordinance has been on the books for quite awhile. IMHO the new administration is working hard for a change, change that this town so desperately needs. Times are changing and we are seeing attractions spring up around us here and luring some of our tourism in different directions. So yes change is needed.

    The hikers are a part of the economy here and this ordinance is unfortunate for them as well. But if I were to guess what group of folks brings in the most money here I would say the Creeper Trail folks do and I have been lucky enough to be able to get some of that crowd staying with me.

    The friendliest town on the trail are actually the folks who live here and welcome the hikers, some bring hikers into their homes and it is unfortunate with this ordinance they may suffer as well. Our leaders here are as friendly as well but they have to do their jobs as they see fit, and they look at this community as a whole. I support that for the time being.

    This ordinance may sink me and that is not cool. But I am optimistic as well, this ordinance may just be the best thing that ever happened with my business, with all of the hostels. Time and if the ordinance is left in effect will tell.

  6. #6

    Default

    Sounds like a great time to build a motel in Damascus!
    Appalachian Trail Shuttle Drivers List
    Ron Brown GA Shuttle Driver Atlanta to Fontana Dam:# (706) 669-0919
    Trail Miles: 2730
    AT Completion Miles: 1192.7

  7. #7

    Default

    I'm not sure how this would effect a private home but the ordinance itself isn't posted here. Local ordinances are there the real restrictions to freedom lie. Necessary? Maybe at times. There are necessary evils and yes any restriction to freedom for me is an evil at some level but again, some are necessary. If more people viewed them as bad we'd be slower to enact them, as we should be, even when necessary.

  8. #8
    Greenlight's Avatar
    Join Date
    02-18-2016
    Location
    Shelbyville, IN
    Age
    52
    Posts
    585
    Journal Entries
    1
    Images
    1

    Default

    Take out a small loan, put up 10 foot privacy fencing around the tenting area. On the fence, put signs that say, "THIS AREA IS NOT PART OF THE HOSTEL." Problem solved. :P


    Quote Originally Posted by Crazy Larry #1 View Post
    No more tenting for hostels here in Damascus except for Trail Days
    Hiking is the best teacher, it grades on a curve.
    AT miles: 105 / Total miles: 603.65
    - all past age 50
    Author of "Human Scale Happiness"
    Sometimes I blog at http://jimgarlits.com


  9. #9
    PCT, Sheltowee, Pinhoti, LT , BMT, AT, SHT, CDT 560 miles 10-K's Avatar
    Join Date
    10-30-2007
    Location
    Erwin, TN
    Age
    56
    Posts
    8,429

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Gambit McCrae View Post
    Sounds like a great time to build a motel in Damascus!
    This is a mystery I've pondered many times.

  10. #10
    Registered User
    Join Date
    11-20-2002
    Location
    Damascus, Virginia
    Age
    58
    Posts
    30,805

    Default

    there's nowhere in town to build a motel plus if there was one there would be no business Nov.-march

  11. #11

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Lone Wolf View Post
    there's nowhere in town to build a motel plus if there was one there would be no business Nov.-march
    "The Turkey Christmas Tree Easter Hiker Motel" - - Has a good ring to it.
    Appalachian Trail Shuttle Drivers List
    Ron Brown GA Shuttle Driver Atlanta to Fontana Dam:# (706) 669-0919
    Trail Miles: 2730
    AT Completion Miles: 1192.7

  12. #12

    Default

    I zeroed at Woodchuck's, and remember thinking "wow, it's right in the middle of a quiet little neighborhood." I was careful to walk in the street, and not across anyone's lawn. Woodchuck made a point of mentioning to a few guests that 10:00 pm was quiet time. Both nights I stayed it was surprisingly quiet in the evening.

    I spent all too many years in a noisy apartment building, and my peace of mind varied greatly based on who my next door neighbor was. I'd imagine with different crowds of people in every night, the neighbors must hate the place, never knowing if they're going to be be woken up from sleep by some clown yelling from his tent to his buddy at the campfire.

  13. #13
    Registered User
    Join Date
    10-17-2007
    Location
    Michigan
    Age
    58
    Posts
    4,334

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Gambit McCrae View Post
    "The Turkey Christmas Tree Easter Hiker Motel" - - Has a good ring to it.
    Ever see the movie "Holiday Inn"?

  14. #14
    Registered User BuckeyeBill's Avatar
    Join Date
    12-18-2012
    Location
    Dark Side of the Moon
    Age
    57
    Posts
    994
    Journal Entries
    6

    Default

    I have often heard it said that the only way to get rid of a bad law/ordinance is to enforce it. At the shop I put up a 10' cyclone fence with privacy slats to hide the "non-running, non-registered vehicles I had parked there.
    Blackheart

  15. #15
    Registered User
    Join Date
    01-09-2008
    Location
    Erwin,Tn
    Posts
    876
    Images
    11

    Default

    I'd say it's all the people that rent out houses that don't won't a hotel. We've been saying for years that ey need some hotels. Plenty of room. Especially on the creeper towards Abington. Maybe there isn't room downtown. But I don't think downtown needs one. But plenty of areas elsewhere. Here in Erwin the super 8 gets used by a lot of hikers. And I'd say it's atleast 4 miles from the trail. It's close to other services though. So one one past the grocery store in Damascus would work great. There's even a restaurant or two around.

  16. #16
    Registered User
    Join Date
    10-17-2007
    Location
    Michigan
    Age
    58
    Posts
    4,334

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Crazy Larry #1 View Post
    I don't know how this is going to fly, the more I think about this the more it upsets me. I have complied with everything that was required of me to operate this place. I'll never forget when I went to get the license for Crazy Larry's and I had someone opposing it, I had to show parking, I had to do this and I had to do that. And then I finally got called to the zoning board and they told me they were going to wait for those who opposed me. No one showed and they gave me the license and planned on giving me the license whether the people showed up or not.

    At the same time I will not get too upset about it because I understand what they are doing. I see tenting coming back but there will be rules in place and enforced. The old administration never bothered with it, the new administration is taking care of business. Besides the ordinance has been on the books for quite awhile. IMHO the new administration is working hard for a change, change that this town so desperately needs. Times are changing and we are seeing attractions spring up around us here and luring some of our tourism in different directions. So yes change is needed.

    The hikers are a part of the economy here and this ordinance is unfortunate for them as well. But if I were to guess what group of folks brings in the most money here I would say the Creeper Trail folks do and I have been lucky enough to be able to get some of that crowd staying with me.

    The friendliest town on the trail are actually the folks who live here and welcome the hikers, some bring hikers into their homes and it is unfortunate with this ordinance they may suffer as well. Our leaders here are as friendly as well but they have to do their jobs as they see fit, and they look at this community as a whole. I support that for the time being.

    This ordinance may sink me and that is not cool. But I am optimistic as well, this ordinance may just be the best thing that ever happened with my business, with all of the hostels. Time and if the ordinance is left in effect will tell.
    What a well thought out, balanced, and well written analysis. It looks so out of place here ;-)
    Thanks Larry for all you do to support hikers (and bikers and...)

  17. #17
    Registered User
    Join Date
    03-13-2005
    Location
    Damascus
    Age
    57
    Posts
    6,392
    Images
    53

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by BuckeyeBill View Post
    I have often heard it said that the only way to get rid of a bad law/ordinance is to enforce it. At the shop I put up a 10' cyclone fence with privacy slats to hide the "non-running, non-registered vehicles I had parked there.
    Well I hope it enforces itself right on down the trail soon

    Quote Originally Posted by Odd Man Out View Post
    What a well thought out, balanced, and well written analysis. It looks so out of place here ;-)
    Thanks Larry for all you do to support hikers (and bikers and...)
    I been fitting out for a long time. Thank you...........

  18. #18
    PCT, Sheltowee, Pinhoti, LT , BMT, AT, SHT, CDT 560 miles 10-K's Avatar
    Join Date
    10-30-2007
    Location
    Erwin, TN
    Age
    56
    Posts
    8,429

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by dmax View Post
    I'd say it's all the people that rent out houses that don't won't a hotel. We've been saying for years that ey need some hotels. Plenty of room. Especially on the creeper towards Abington. Maybe there isn't room downtown. But I don't think downtown needs one. But plenty of areas elsewhere. Here in Erwin the super 8 gets used by a lot of hikers. And I'd say it's atleast 4 miles from the trail. It's close to other services though. So one one past the grocery store in Damascus would work great. There's even a restaurant or two around.
    There will be a hotel in Damascus at some point, no doubt about it.

  19. #19
    Registered User
    Join Date
    11-20-2002
    Location
    Damascus, Virginia
    Age
    58
    Posts
    30,805

    Default

    there will never be a hotel/motel in or around damascus

  20. #20
    Registered User
    Join Date
    11-20-2002
    Location
    Damascus, Virginia
    Age
    58
    Posts
    30,805

    Default

    a few hostels allow alcohol. this is what is causing the ordinance to be enforced. drunk hikers peeing and crapping on neighbors lawns and loud, drunken behavior til all hours

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
++ New Posts ++

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •