WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    Journal Entries
    Images

Default Damascus Ordinance

No more tenting for hostels here in Damascus except for Trail Days

well that's crock. what genius came up with that?

Doesn't sound like a very friendly gesture from the friendliest trail town on the AT.
    Trail Miles: 4,927.6
    AT Map 1: Complete 2013-2021
    Sheltowee Trace: Complete 2020-2023
    Pinhoti Trail: Complete 2023-2024
    Foothills Trail: 0.0
    AT Map 2: 279.4
    BMT: 52.7
    CDT: 85.4

Journal Entries

What I recall from Damascus was the number of signs prohibiting things.

Journal Entries
    Images

I don't know how this is going to fly, the more I think about this the more it upsets me. I have complied with everything that was required of me to operate this place. I'll never forget when I went to get the license for Crazy Larry's and I had someone opposing it, I had to show parking, I had to do this and I had to do that. And then I finally got called to the zoning board and they told me they were going to wait for those who opposed me. No one showed and they gave me the license and planned on giving me the license whether the people showed up or not.

At the same time I will not get too upset about it because I understand what they are doing. I see tenting coming back but there will be rules in place and enforced. The old administration never bothered with it, the new administration is taking care of business. Besides the ordinance has been on the books for quite awhile. IMHO the new administration is working hard for a change, change that this town so desperately needs. Times are changing and we are seeing attractions spring up around us here and luring some of our tourism in different directions. So yes change is needed.

The hikers are a part of the economy here and this ordinance is unfortunate for them as well. But if I were to guess what group of folks brings in the most money here I would say the Creeper Trail folks do and I have been lucky enough to be able to get some of that crowd staying with me.

The friendliest town on the trail are actually the folks who live here and welcome the hikers, some bring hikers into their homes and it is unfortunate with this ordinance they may suffer as well. Our leaders here are as friendly as well but they have to do their jobs as they see fit, and they look at this community as a whole. I support that for the time being.

This ordinance may sink me and that is not cool. But I am optimistic as well, this ordinance may just be the best thing that ever happened with my business, with all of the hostels. Time and if the ordinance is left in effect will tell.

Sounds like a great time to build a motel in Damascus!

I'm not sure how this would effect a private home but the ordinance itself isn't posted here. Local ordinances are there the real restrictions to freedom lie. Necessary? Maybe at times. There are necessary evils and yes any restriction to freedom for me is an evil at some level but again, some are necessary. If more people viewed them as bad we'd be slower to enact them, as we should be, even when necessary.

Journal Entries
    Images

Take out a small loan, put up 10 foot privacy fencing around the tenting area. On the fence, put signs that say, "THIS AREA IS NOT PART OF THE HOSTEL." Problem solved. :P

Quote Originally Posted by Crazy Larry #1 View Post
    No more tenting for hostels here in Damascus except for Trail Days

PCT, Sheltowee, Pinhoti, LT , BMT, AT, SHT, CDT, TRT 10-K's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Gambit McCrae View Post
    Sounds like a great time to build a motel in Damascus!
    This is a mystery I've pondered many times.

there's nowhere in town to build a motel plus if there was one there would be no business Nov.-march

Quote Originally Posted by Lone Wolf View Post
    there's nowhere in town to build a motel plus if there was one there would be no business Nov.-march
    "The Turkey Christmas Tree Easter Hiker Motel" - - Has a good ring to it.

I zeroed at Woodchuck's, and remember thinking "wow, it's right in the middle of a quiet little neighborhood." I was careful to walk in the street, and not across anyone's lawn. Woodchuck made a point of mentioning to a few guests that 10:00 pm was quiet time. Both nights I stayed it was surprisingly quiet in the evening.

I spent all too many years in a noisy apartment building, and my peace of mind varied greatly based on who my next door neighbor was. I'd imagine with different crowds of people in every night, the neighbors must hate the place, never knowing if they're going to be be woken up from sleep by some clown yelling from his tent to his buddy at the campfire.

Quote Originally Posted by Gambit McCrae View Post
    "The Turkey Christmas Tree Easter Hiker Motel" - - Has a good ring to it.
    Ever see the movie "Holiday Inn"?

Journal Entries

I have often heard it said that the only way to get rid of a bad law/ordinance is to enforce it. At the shop I put up a 10' cyclone fence with privacy slats to hide the "non-running, non-registered vehicles I had parked there.
    Blackheart

Images

I'd say it's all the people that rent out houses that don't won't a hotel. We've been saying for years that ey need some hotels. Plenty of room. Especially on the creeper towards Abington. Maybe there isn't room downtown. But I don't think downtown needs one. But plenty of areas elsewhere. Here in Erwin the super 8 gets used by a lot of hikers. And I'd say it's atleast 4 miles from the trail. It's close to other services though. So one one past the grocery store in Damascus would work great. There's even a restaurant or two around.

Quote Originally Posted by Crazy Larry #1 View Post
    I don't know how this is going to fly, the more I think about this the more it upsets me. I have complied with everything that was required of me to operate this place. I'll never forget when I went to get the license for Crazy Larry's and I had someone opposing it, I had to show parking, I had to do this and I had to do that. And then I finally got called to the zoning board and they told me they were going to wait for those who opposed me. No one showed and they gave me the license and planned on giving me the license whether the people showed up or not.

At the same time I will not get too upset about it because I understand what they are doing. I see tenting coming back but there will be rules in place and enforced. The old administration never bothered with it, the new administration is taking care of business. Besides the ordinance has been on the books for quite awhile. IMHO the new administration is working hard for a change, change that this town so desperately needs. Times are changing and we are seeing attractions spring up around us here and luring some of our tourism in different directions. So yes change is needed.

The hikers are a part of the economy here and this ordinance is unfortunate for them as well. But if I were to guess what group of folks brings in the most money here I would say the Creeper Trail folks do and I have been lucky enough to be able to get some of that crowd staying with me.

The friendliest town on the trail are actually the folks who live here and welcome the hikers, some bring hikers into their homes and it is unfortunate with this ordinance they may suffer as well. Our leaders here are as friendly as well but they have to do their jobs as they see fit, and they look at this community as a whole. I support that for the time being.

This ordinance may sink me and that is not cool. But I am optimistic as well, this ordinance may just be the best thing that ever happened with my business, with all of the hostels. Time and if the ordinance is left in effect will tell.
    What a well thought out, balanced, and well written analysis. It looks so out of place here ;-)
    Thanks Larry for all you do to support hikers (and bikers and...)

Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by BuckeyeBill View Post
    I have often heard it said that the only way to get rid of a bad law/ordinance is to enforce it. At the shop I put up a 10' cyclone fence with privacy slats to hide the "non-running, non-registered vehicles I had parked there.
    Well I hope it enforces itself right on down the trail soon

Quote Originally Posted by Odd Man Out View Post
    What a well thought out, balanced, and well written analysis. It looks so out of place here ;-)
    Thanks Larry for all you do to support hikers (and bikers and...)
    I been fitting out for a long time. Thank you...........

PCT, Sheltowee, Pinhoti, LT , BMT, AT, SHT, CDT, TRT 10-K's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by dmax View Post
    I'd say it's all the people that rent out houses that don't won't a hotel. We've been saying for years that ey need some hotels. Plenty of room. Especially on the creeper towards Abington. Maybe there isn't room downtown. But I don't think downtown needs one. But plenty of areas elsewhere. Here in Erwin the super 8 gets used by a lot of hikers. And I'd say it's atleast 4 miles from the trail. It's close to other services though. So one one past the grocery store in Damascus would work great. There's even a restaurant or two around.
    There will be a hotel in Damascus at some point, no doubt about it.

there will never be a hotel/motel in or around damascus

a few hostels allow alcohol. this is what is causing the ordinance to be enforced. drunk hikers peeing and crapping on neighbors lawns and loud, drunken behavior til all hours

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
++ New Posts ++