WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Red face Trekking Poles, Shocks or rigid?

It seems there are more options without shocks. Any thoughts on how much the shocks help?

Thanks

My BD Shock poles click annoyingly. I'll do without the shock option next time …

Journal Entries
    Images

no shock go UL
    Dogs are excellent judges of character, this fact goes a long way toward explaining why some people don't like being around them.

Woo

Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Rhughesnc View Post
    It seems there are more options without shocks. Any thoughts on how much the shocks help?

Thanks
    Help?

Exactly zero.

I prefer a shock absorbing feature, because of the artritis in my right hand. But would stay away from twist lock in my next set, that is where I have had all the slippage and breaks.

Unfortunately, the twist lock is the only way to get the shock absorber. I have seen then with one flip and one twist from LEKI. Thanks for the help

Quote Originally Posted by Rhughesnc View Post
    Unfortunately, the twist lock is the only way to get the shock absorber. I have seen then with one flip and one twist from LEKI. Thanks for the help
    Black Diamond's current shock poles use only flicklocks and the shock system is much more elegant than any of the other options I've seen on the market. I have no idea what Trailliam is talking about regarding BD shock poles clicking unless it is an older model. There is nothing in their current design to click (that I can tell) except the carbide tips on the end of the poles that all decent poles have and that all click when you hit rocks with them.
    I'm not lost. I'm exploring.

Leki Super Makalus have really good shock springs. Highly recommended. I switched a while back to an ultralight pair of Black Diamonds. I still use my Leki's for snowshoeing. My sense is that if you're an ultralighter forgo shocks, otherwise they're a great option to absorb a lot of stress on your joints
    Springer to Katahdin: 1991-2018

Images

Shock absorbers decrease the efficiency. Just as a very stiff bicycle frame transfers more of your muscle power to the ground, a rigid trekking pole transfers more of your arm power to the ground. Shock absorbers waste your arm power to compress the spring.

Images

I owned a pair of top of the line Lekis with shock absorbers. Total fail. On hard surfaces (rocks, for example), planting the pole tip hard made it bounce rather than stick to the surface. I had numerous falls due to this "feature".
    Ken B
    'Big Cranky'
    Our Long Trail journal

Images

A few times I've turned my shock off. I ended up each time with more pain in my wrist and arms. I'll always use the anti shock feature from here on out.

The shock feature adds weight and on rocks it makes it hard to tell whether you've got a good, solid 'stick' with the tip or if it's going to skitter out from under you the moment you put some weight on it. Try some very light poles such as GG LTs — only if you're not "hard on gear," however! — and they will spoil you for these heavy poles with all the bells and whistles.

Images

Shock absorbers are gimmicky, heavy, noisy, expensive, feel weird, and are something else to break. Just my two cents.
    [I]ye shall not pollute the land wherein ye are: ... Defile not therefore the land which ye shall inhabit....[/I]. Numbers 35

[url]www.MeetUp.com/NashvilleBackpacker[/url]

I have been using Lekis with shocks for close to 25 years. I also take my pole sections apart in between hikes to let them dry which cuts way down on issue with the twist locks loosening up. If left for an extended period with the sections collapsed, aluminum corrosion can start and that forms a somewhat slippery surface inside the tube.

After a couple of years of use the Lekis do start clicking as the threaded stud on the bottom pole is a compression fit that eventually loosens up inside the pole. I tired lots of fixes but the only one that works for me is to put a few drops of epoxy in the loose joint, it tightens them right up. If you wait too long the friction between the insert and the pole thins the pole and make a possible weak point.

Note I hike most weekends year round in the Whites so my poles get a lot more use than most casual hikers. The rocks really ding up the poles but in my opinion there is no substitute for an extra 2 points of contact.

GSMNP 900 Miler
    Journal Entries
    Images

When I'm walking the neighborhood (i.e. walking on pavement), I've found that I like the hiking pole with a shock.

But when I'm out on the trail, I've found that I like the hiking poles without the shock (plus I would tend to think poles with shocks will be heavier that equivalent poles without them).

I have used poles with shocks and twist adjusters - didn't like them. Now use cork handled leki poles, no shock, lever adjusters which I like very much.

I find I am more likely to use poles with my palm over the top, rather than using grips like a ski pole. I find poles help my knees and have saved me from a few nasty falls, so I always hike with poles now.

Poles can be pricey. If you're not sure what you want, buy cheap Wally World poles for about $30 a pair and when you have more experience / preference upgrade to what is best for you. Your old poles are great to lend out to newbie friends who want to try out hiking, and it's no big deal if they get lost or stolen.

Journal Entries

I also use Leki Corklite Trekking Poles with flip locks and no shocks.
    Blackheart

Default Trekking Poles, Shocks or rigid?

I like the shocks in my hammers, but they are not a necessity. On LD hikes I would agree with others above, they are heavier and are one more thing to potentially malfunction. Not a good option, if you're looking for speed.

*knock on wood, I've never had the twist lock or shock fail on my hammers in 4 years of heavy use.
    You can walk in another person's shoes, but only with your feet

Quote Originally Posted by Rain Man View Post
    Shock absorbers are gimmicky, heavy, noisy, expensive, feel weird, and are something else to break. Just my two cents.
    What he said.
    Lonehiker (MRT '22)

•Completed A.T. Section Hike GA to ME 1996 thru 2003 •Donating Member Skyline's Avatar
    Images

The evolution of my using no poles, to wooden "sticks," to used $5 ski poles (no shocks), to some cheap WalMart trekking poles (no shocks), to decent but not top-of-line Lekis (with shocks) has taken almost 25 years. Once I went to Lekis with shocks, my wrists felt better and after 10 or 15 miles of hiking by hands didn't shake. Never going back to non-shocks.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
++ New Posts ++