WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Hand Sanitizer

Default Hand Sanitizer

Sorry for the nube question, but I see people with hand sanitizer clipped to their pack. Is there a particular brand that comes in a case that is easily secured to a pack?

Thanks

Off topic but on point:
    A 1 ounce chunk of Ivory soap and proper hand washing technique, think a condensed version of scrubbing for surgery, is what you should be doing.
    Wayne

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Eddie Valiant: "That lame-brain freeway idea could only be cooked up by a toon."
    https://wayne-ayearwithbigfootandbubba.blogspot.com
    FlickrMyBookTwitSpaceFace

Just put the small container that any old brand comes in, in the hip or shoulder pouches on your pack.

Perhaps a monitor will make this a sticky:
    "The C.D.C. says that as a means of preventing norovirus infection, alcohol-based sanitizers can be used “in addition” to hand washing, never as a substitute. Hand sanitizers can reduce the spread of some viruses, like the flu. But against norovirus they are largely ineffective; better to use soap and water.Jan 14, 2013"
    I tried.
    Wayne

Eddie Valiant: "That lame-brain freeway idea could only be cooked up by a toon."
    https://wayne-ayearwithbigfootandbubba.blogspot.com
    FlickrMyBookTwitSpaceFace

To answer the OP, most pharmacies like Walgreen have travel sized hand sanitizer bottles that come with the carrying holder.

You can buy a pack of 6 on Amazon for pretty cheap.

Images

Heading south into Georgia earlier this month, I became convinced that someone was on Springer handing out those little clip on hand sanitizer bottles, and also the tall Smartwater bottle -- I saw both of these on almost every northbounder's pack.

I keep my hand sanitizer in my pack's hip belt pocket. Washing hands with soap is nice but note that doing it right requires a lot of water, which can be hard to come by in places.
    Ken B
    'Big Cranky'
    Our Long Trail journal

Thank you all! BigCranky, thanks for the laugh!

Journal Entries
    Images

LoL - I've noticed this in a bunch of the youtubes and at flip-flop day in Harpers. I think the little silicone rubber clip on sanitizer is now a required part of the uniform...

Quote Originally Posted by bigcranky View Post
    Heading south into Georgia earlier this month, I became convinced that someone was on Springer handing out those little clip on hand sanitizer bottles, and also the tall Smartwater bottle -- I saw both of these on almost every northbounder's pack.
    Plaid is fast! Ticks suck, literally... It’s ok, bologna hoses off…
    Follow my hiking adventures: https://www.youtube.com/user/KrizAkoni
    Follow me on Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/alphagalhikes/

Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Rhughesnc View Post
    Sorry for the nube question, but I see people with hand sanitizer clipped to their pack. Is there a particular brand that comes in a case that is easily secured to a pack?

Thanks
    Put things INSIDE your pack.
    Ive picked up several of these that the clip was on lid, and it came unscrewed.

That applies to lots of things
    Sanitizer, sunscreen, etc

Clueless Weekender
    Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by MuddyWaters View Post
    Put things INSIDE your pack.
    Ive picked up several of these that the clip was on lid, and it came unscrewed.

That applies to lots of things
    Sanitizer, sunscreen, etc
    One of the pockets of my pack is dedicated to noxious fluids. That's where foot goo, sunscreen, bug spray, hand sanitizer, and olive oil containers go. Anything that will spoil gear if it leaks. The stuff is all in one place for transfer to the bear bag overnight.
    I always know where I am. I'm right here.

Quote Originally Posted by bigcranky View Post
    Washing hands with soap is nice but note that doing it right requires a lot of water, which can be hard to come by in places.
    Hand washing doesn't have to take all that much water if you apply a wash cloth (your bandana). You give your hands a quick initial rinse, then wet and lather your bandana and use that for washing. The additional friction from the bandana is as effective at cleaning in a couple of scrubbing passes as your hands alone making many passes. You then wring out the bandana and make a final rinse of your hands, with the rinse water dropping onto the bandana. Your hands are clean enough for eating, and your bandana is clean enough to wipe sweat off your brow.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Another Kevin View Post
    One of the pockets of my pack is dedicated to noxious fluids. That's where foot goo, sunscreen, bug spray, hand sanitizer, and olive oil containers go. Anything that will spoil gear if it leaks. The stuff is all in one place for transfer to the bear bag overnight.
    Right hip belt pocket for me, and most of them are in ziploc snack bags too so they don't leak too badly.
    Ken B
    'Big Cranky'
    Our Long Trail journal

A small bottle of Dr. Bronners is all that is needed to carry on the trip. It does everything. Shampoo, dish soap, and someone even commented toothpaste? It is the friction and soap of the hand washing that kills the germs. I am getting one of the clip on bottles of hand sanitizer and replacing it with Dr. Bronners. It is also better for the environment as it is all natural.

Hand sanitizer DOES NOT protect against norovirus.

"Studies show that alcohol-based sanitizers, particularly those with 60 percent ethanol or more, can reduce microbial counts on contaminated hands and reduce the spread of some strains of the flu. But against norovirus, the severe gastrointestinal illness gripping many parts of the country, they may be useless."

https://well.blogs.nytimes.com/2013/...s-spread/?_r=0

Why is it that Whiteblaze has multiple threads on norovirus and then casual discussions about a bogus hand washing method on other threads?

Soap & water!

Springer to Katahdin: 1991-2018

I second the Dr. Bronners suggestion for washing hands. Would not suggest using as toothpaste or mouthwash as suggested on bottle because it caused intense intestinal cramping and discomfort when I accidentally ingested some.

Quote Originally Posted by Venchka View Post
    Off topic but on point:
    A 1 ounce chunk of Ivory soap and proper hand washing technique, think a condensed version of scrubbing for surgery, is what you should be doing.
    Wayne

Considering LNT, what would be the correct/appropriate way to wash hands while on the trail regarding streams/creeks? Are do you use your filtered water away from the water source? Thanks

Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by VatoGato View Post
    I second the Dr. Bronners suggestion for washing hands. Would not suggest using as toothpaste or mouthwash as suggested on bottle because it caused intense intestinal cramping and discomfort when I accidentally ingested some.
    Swallowing toothpaste will do that as well
    On an empty stomach, ive had to pull off road on way to work from stomach cramp due to trace toothpaste swallowed

But i agree, dr bronners not good toothpaste substitute

I personally carry both soap and hand sanitizer
    Both have their place. I keep mine in a Ziploc in the main mesh pocket on my pack where I also store my TP. It's just a place I know where it is and easy to get to.

Wanna-be hiker trash
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by nascarmikeb View Post
    Considering LNT, what would be the correct/appropriate way to wash hands while on the trail regarding streams/creeks? Are do you use your filtered water away from the water source? Thanks
    Best practice 200 feet away from watersources, same as poopin!

The unlike waterways, the forest floor is teeming with microbes that will break down soap. Unfortunately if the soap gets in the watersources it stay there for a while.
    Colorless green ideas sleep furiously.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++