WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Thread: Guthooks Guide

Default Guthooks Guide

The developers of Guthook Apps trail maps for Android & iOS are interested in producing a trails of the Southeast and are interested in including the Pinhoti. They currently have the Bartram, Chunky Gal, and the AT from Springer to the Smokies. They need someone to help them with the project. Anyone interested in assisting, please let me know.

Check out their web page for information about the app: atlasguides.com

Quote Originally Posted by rblackburn View Post
    The developers of Guthook Apps trail maps for Android & iOS are interested in producing a trails of the Southeast and are interested in including the Pinhoti. They currently have the Bartram, Chunky Gal, and the AT from Springer to the Smokies. They need someone to help them with the project. Anyone interested in assisting, please let me know.

Check out their web page for information about the app: atlasguides.com
    We're planning on doing all of the pinhoti this winter - minus the road walks. What's the deal?

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

I'm considering doing the Pinhoti in March 2018 as my "approach" trail to the AT. However, I'm not currently planning on doing the 1st 2 sections (mostly road walk although it has been reduced by 5-6 miles recently). So from Rebecca Mtn on I could help with. Would be interested in more details. I have used Guthook's apps in the past and they have proved quite useful.

Leonidas

I know this is from late last year but after doing Sections 9-19 earlier this year, I am headed back out in May to do Sections 1-8 including the road walks. What is required to assist if help is still needed? I may additionally be finishing the Pinhoti this year and tentatively plan to do Sections 20-31 in September.

A Guthooks guide would be awesome as there are some sketchy blazed sections ATM do to logging in GA. Even with the Jan 2018 update of the GA sections it was touch and go in one or two sections.
    AT: 695.7 mi
    Benton MacKaye Trail '20
    Pinhoti Trail '18-19'
    @leonidasonthetrail https://www.youtube.com/c/LeonidasontheTrail

Quote Originally Posted by JC13 View Post
    I know this is from late last year but after doing Sections 9-19 earlier this year, I am headed back out in May to do Sections 1-8 including the road walks. What is required to assist if help is still needed? I may additionally be finishing the Pinhoti this year and tentatively plan to do Sections 20-31 in September.

A Guthooks guide would be awesome as there are some sketchy blazed sections ATM do to logging in GA. Even with the Jan 2018 update of the GA sections it was touch and go in one or two sections.
    You can get in touch with us at [email protected] and we'll chat from there. We are slowly and not-entirely-steadily working on the Pinhoti Trail now, and hoping to have something available before too long. I have heard quite a bit about how the trail can be hard to find at times, so I can definitely see the need :-)

Quote Originally Posted by guthook View Post
    You can get in touch with us at [email protected] and we'll chat from there. We are slowly and not-entirely-steadily working on the Pinhoti Trail now, and hoping to have something available before too long. I have heard quite a bit about how the trail can be hard to find at times, so I can definitely see the need :-)
    The Alabama section is very well blazed and easy to follow. The only exception to this was a very short section in Cheaha. The tread may not be as defined, in places, as other trails but the route itself is well marked.

There will soon be another section of trail opened to cut down on the early road-walk. If you are going to create a guide you probably should include the new trail. The most current published guide did not include this new trail section at least as of February. Contact John "Mother Natures Son" for details @ [email protected] for more information. Another resource might be the new caretaker at Flagg Mtn., Sunny "Nimblewill Nomad" @ [email protected]. If they can't help they can definitely get you in contact with someone that can. If no response send me a pm and I can give you a phone number for one of the trail maintainers.

Kudos to the Alabama group as they are working very hard to make the Pinhoti a premier hiking trail. John put me up in his home and shuttled me to an airport after completing the Alabama section of the trail. Sorry I don't have any knowledge of the Georgia section.
    Lonehiker (MRT '22)

Quote Originally Posted by guthook View Post
    The Alabama section is very well blazed and easy to follow. The only exception to this was a very short section in Cheaha. The tread may not be as defined, in places, as other trails but the route itself is well marked.

There will soon be another section of trail opened to cut down on the early road-walk. If you are going to create a guide you probably should include the new trail. The most current published guide did not include this new trail section at least as of February. Contact John "Mother Natures Son" for details @ [email protected] for more information. Another resource might be the new caretaker at Flagg Mtn., Sunny "Nimblewill Nomad" @ [email protected]. If they can't help they can definitely get you in contact with someone that can. If no response send me a pm and I can give you a phone number for one of the trail maintainers.

Kudos to the Alabama group as they are working very hard to make the Pinhoti a premier hiking trail. John put me up in his home and shuttled me to an airport after completing the Alabama section of the trail. Sorry I don't have any knowledge of the Georgia section.
    Lonehiker (MRT '22)

Leonidas

Quote Originally Posted by lonehiker View Post

Sections 9-13 were blazed well in Alabama, our issue came into play in Georgia. I had the 2018 January updated GA guide and there was several sections that had been logged that were confusing. We made it though fine by scouting ahead in the different possibilities until we found a blaze. Interesting info on the road walk, I was actually looking forward to that section.
    AT: 695.7 mi
    Benton MacKaye Trail '20
    Pinhoti Trail '18-19'
    @leonidasonthetrail https://www.youtube.com/c/LeonidasontheTrail

Quote Originally Posted by JC13 View Post
    Sections 9-13 were blazed well in Alabama, our issue came into play in Georgia. I had the 2018 January updated GA guide and there was several sections that had been logged that were confusing. We made it though fine by scouting ahead in the different possibilities until we found a blaze. Interesting info on the road walk, I was actually looking forward to that section.
    It won't do away with the entire road walk just a portion of it. You will still go by the Dollar General if I understood John correctly. I found the road walk sections to be very disappointing. The amount of garbage dumped along the Alabama roads is quite alarming.
    Lonehiker (MRT '22)

Not a Pinhoti issue - just a Guthooks issue - I'd love to be able to use Google Maps on my iPhone, since Apple Maps are about as useless as an umbrella in a hurricane. But alas, support just tells me that iPhone users are stuck with Apple Maps and Android users get to bask in the glorious splendor of Google Maps.

I don't even have Apple Maps installed (I like to get reasonably accurate directions - I'm just quirky that way) so this is a huge ding in the usefulness of Guthooks.

Quote Originally Posted by lonehiker View Post

Thanks for the info, Lonehiker! I think I had heard Nimblewill was down there, but I didn't know about the upcoming new relocation. I'll definitely be taking my time on this one to make sure I get as much of the info right as I can. So far, I will admit that the trail sounds much more interesting than I had initially assumed :-)

Quote Originally Posted by KCNC View Post
    Not a Pinhoti issue - just a Guthooks issue - I'd love to be able to use Google Maps on my iPhone, since Apple Maps are about as useless as an umbrella in a hurricane. But alas, support just tells me that iPhone users are stuck with Apple Maps and Android users get to bask in the glorious splendor of Google Maps.
    KCNC, I can't remember the details of your original question, but are you referring to the base map that is in the Guthook app, or the option in the waypoint detail page to open the waypoint in Apple Maps for driving directions?

Images

I don't even have Apple Maps installed (I like to get reasonably accurate directions - I'm just quirky that way) so this is a huge ding in the usefulness of Guthooks.
    Or, the usefulness of Apple's iPhones.
    [I]ye shall not pollute the land wherein ye are: ... Defile not therefore the land which ye shall inhabit....[/I]. Numbers 35

[url]www.MeetUp.com/NashvilleBackpacker[/url]

What? That’s not so. Hopefully we’re talking the same thing here, but I use Google maps on my iPhone 7 all the time.

Maybe there is some particular issue?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

The Guthook guide to Pinhoti Trail is now active. Also, on sale today for #smallbusinesssaturday - I bought it. It's under "East Coast Long Trails" together with its Great Eastern Trail sister, Mid State Trail

Quote Originally Posted by ki0eh View Post
    The Guthook guide to Pinhoti Trail is now active. Also, on sale today for #smallbusinesssaturday - I bought it. It's under "East Coast Long Trails" together with its Great Eastern Trail sister, Mid State Trail
    Thanks for the heads up... just downloaded!

Deal continues through #CyberMonday

Just downloaded. Thanks

Don't forget about the wilderness areas. They are not blazed anymore. They actually went through, and painted over the blazes that were still there. Makes sense to me...paint the blazes, but cut logging roads through there...

Journal Entries

I just downloaded the pinhoti. It's pretty much my home trail in that it's the only long trail I can get to within an hour.

++ New Posts ++