WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default Water sources in New York

Hi all,
    Headed to do the New York section in May. Any thoughts as to how the water sources are up there, and anything I need to know?

Images

At least in Connecticut, we have pretty much recovered from last summer's drought. I would think that NY is the same, and in any event in May, the water levels will be more than satisfactory. Enjoy your hike!

Images

Water in Harriman State Park is plentiful. As for the rest of NY I would think it would be OK too.
    Like gsingjane says, the drought seems to be over.

Thanks guys for the info! Wondering how difficult this section is...

Images

Conventional wisdom, backed up by my own experience, is that the portion of the AT that's south of the Bear Mtn. bridge is more difficult than the portion north of it. I don't know what your experience level is so it's hard to predict how you will find it, but many people feel that the southernmost part is kind of hard because it's sort of relentless ups and downs. But, I no longer generalize from my experience because it seems like I find backpacking much harder than most people do!

Plenty of water in Harriman.

May will be wet. Prepare for plenty of rain.

Day time temps can be breezy, in the 55-75 range, night time temps in the 35-50 range.

Lots of ups and downs, but relatively low altitude compared to what you've done so far.

Icebeard, I don't think NY is hard, compared to the more mountainous stretches of the AT. But thru-hikers are surprised by the ups and downs south of the Hudson, like the other posters are saying. I also think that many thru-hikers enter NY in mid-summer, when the heat and lack of water can be tough. You're going to find really nice conditions this May.

Oh, forgot something: please use your Permethrin.

++ New Posts ++