WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Default New Book: Colorado Trail Thru-hike

I've talked for a while about my upcoming book narrating my 2011 thru-hike of the Colorado Trail. I'm pleased to announce the release of Shades of Gray, Splashes of Color - A Thru-hike of The Colorado Trail. It's now listed on Amazon and is also available directly from me at my new (and very rudimentary) website cookerhiker.com.

I greatly appreciate those who reviewed early drafts and provided helpful comments and suggestions. And a big shout-out to Mags for his help and support of the project.

No doubt some will be interested in a Kindle version. It will come eventually but right now, I'm focused on a lot of other book-related activities.

For anyone who lives in a reasonable radius of Lexington, KY, I'm hosting a book release party Thursday evening, June 12. This will include a slideshow program and autographed books for sale. Contact me for details. Looking ahead, I also hope to offer the book for sale at the ALDHA Gathering.

frontcovera.JPGbackcovera.JPG

Ricky and his Husky Jack
    Images

Im still new to hiking, and have really only researched the A.T.

can you tell me if your book is a "good read" for people with very little knowledge of hiking so far?

and is there detailed things like "pack item list, food/water sources/sleep sites?" or is it basically a "memoir" of the trip and less of a how-to hiking journal".

Sorry if I sound dumb.
    Me: Ricky
    Husky: Jack
    Skeeter-Beeter Pro Hammock.
    From Dalton, Georgia (65 mi above Altanta, 15mi south of Chattanooga)

Quote Originally Posted by Ricky&Jack View Post
    Im still new to hiking, and have really only researched the A.T.

can you tell me if your book is a "good read" for people with very little knowledge of hiking so far?

and is there detailed things like "pack item list, food/water sources/sleep sites?" or is it basically a "memoir" of the trip and less of a how-to hiking journal".

Sorry if I sound dumb.
    Not a dumb question at all.

On the one hand, this is not a formal guidebook or a "how to hike" book. To the extent I mention gear, it's not in great detail for one planning a hike, especially a newby. I actually address your question in the "Author's Note" section in the beginning, stating that while a reader will have some idea of gear and resupply options, it's not a formal guidebook.

On the other hand, I've striven to appeal to non-hikers by explaining some things as I go along. Examples:

1. Instead of just saying "my tent fly was frozen stiff," I briefly describe what a tent fly is.
    2. Instead of just saying "we treated our water," I describe what Aqua Mira is and some of the alternate means that some hikers use, as well as the reason for treating water in the first place.
    3. I define many terms peculiar to hiking such as: PUD, Slackpack, Trail Magic, Hiker Midnight

After I had what I felt was a decent draft, I solicited volunteers to review it and offer comments and suggestions. A number of casual and even non-hikers responded with some good ideas to make it clearer for those of us who aren't hiker nerds (and I use that term "hiker nerds" in the Author's Note).

So it might be a "good read" for non-hikers or newbies although I'm hardly the most objective person to opine on that. It does provide a decent idea of what's it like to hike 482 miles in the Colorado Rockies but you need more resources if you're actually planning such a hike.

I've already received my first WhiteBlaze order! I should mention that the books ordered from my website will not be shipped until June 4 because that's when I'm scheduled to receive them from the publisher.

Ricky and his Husky Jack
    Images

okay. Still sounds like I want to read it.

I had to quit my job 2.5 months ago as a long haul truck driver, after mom had a stoke and dad was diagnosed with dementia. So Im living on $24 per day until they get approved for disability. (Which is how hiking got into my life a few months ago, since I can do that for under $24 per day).

But as soon as things get straignted out, I'll buy it from your website.

I look forward to it. Thanks.

Getting out as much as I can..which is never enough. :) Mags's Avatar

I had the pleasure of reading a copy of this book.

The Colorado Trail has bee lacking a recent account of hiking the CT. Bill's book provides a well written contemporary account of hiking the trail for sure

Give it a read. You may like it.
    Paul "Mags" Magnanti
    http://pmags.com
    Twitter: @pmagsco
    Facebook: pmagsblog

The true harvest of my life is intangible...a little stardust caught,a portion of the rainbow I have clutched -Thoreau

JMT 2012, 2013, CT July-Aug 2014

Congrats! Does your book list water sources along the trail (I have the CT datebook) but any other info is always helpful. Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by K6VOI View Post
    Congrats! Does your book list water sources along the trail (I have the CT datebook) but any other info is always helpful. Thanks!
    Thanks! The book is not, by design, a guidebook ala AWOL, Companion, ATC Databook, or comparable books on the western trails. So there's no nice neat list of water sources.

However, I discuss water availability a lot in this book. The book is organized chronologically (north-to-south) with division into 7 geographic chapters. The middle chapter is titled "Dry Heartland" and covers Segments 15 through 19, from Rt. 50 to Eddiesville Trailhead. The water challenges actually begin after Marshall Pass (start of Segment 16) and continue until the first appearance of Cochetopa Creek in Segment 19. In addition, there are long dry stretches in Segments 2 and 27. Even outside these segments, I discuss water when it was iffy, such as noting that 2 creeks in Segment 13 - Silver Prince and Maxwell - were virtually dry whereas the next creek was reasonably flush, notwithstanding its discouraging name: Dry Creek.

Included are attempts to find water in places rumored to have some, but not discernible to us e.g. Van Tassel Gulch, along with water that was hard to find and/or extract such as Pine Creek in Segment 17. So yes, there's much discussion on water.

I see you're new on WhiteBlaze and I'm just now resuming my WB posting after several months absence (mostly because I was working on the book). Are you planning a CT thruhike? Best wishes to you - it's a stupendous trail!

JMT 2012, 2013, CT July-Aug 2014

thank you for your response! Yes, I am fairly new to WB, and yes, we are hiking the CT this summer! We are starting on July 26 - Water is our biggest concern. We have hiked the Sierra's extensively and water is really never an issue there (well, this year maybe). I will check out your book on Amazon. Thank so much!

Quote Originally Posted by Mags View Post
    I had the pleasure of reading a copy of this book.

The Colorado Trail has bee lacking a recent account of hiking the CT. Bill's book provides a well written contemporary account of hiking the trail for sure

Give it a read. You may like it.
    Thanks Mags for your kind words and for your assistance and support.

Quote Originally Posted by K6VOI View Post
    thank you for your response! Yes, I am fairly new to WB, and yes, we are hiking the CT this summer! We are starting on July 26 - Water is our biggest concern. We have hiked the Sierra's extensively and water is really never an issue there (well, this year maybe). I will check out your book on Amazon. Thank so much!
    Thanks! You'll save a few $$$ by ordering directly from my website (click on the signature line below). Amazon's price is a bit less, but I'm offering free shipping.

Ricky and his Husky Jack
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Cookerhiker View Post
    Thanks! You'll save a few $$$ by ordering directly from my website (click on the signature line below). Amazon's price is a bit less, but I'm offering free shipping.
    And the all important autograph

Quote Originally Posted by Ricky&Jack View Post
    And the all important autograph
    Absolutely! But only if requested. Some readers prefer a pristine book.

I've ordered mine on Amazon and looking forward to reading it! Two months to go before my CT thru hike.
    HST/JMT August 2016
    TMB/Alps Sept 2015
    PCT Mile 0-857 - Apr/May 2015
    Foothills Trail Feb 2015
    Colorado Trail Aug 2014
    AT: Rockfish Gap to Boiling Springs 2014
    John Muir Trail Aug/Sept 2013

Ricky and his Husky Jack
    Images

i really want to read this book.

I had wanted to do a A.T. thru next year, because I live 62miles from amicalola falls/springer. But the thought of that being my fist long hike, and being gone so long kinda scares me.

Im at the point where I want to research hikes that can be completed in a month or so, and the CT so far is my top contender. your book sounds like a great motivation/decision maker to me.

Ricky and his Husky Jack
    Images

i really want to read this book.

I had wanted to do a A.T. thru next year, because I live 62miles from amicalola falls/springer. But the thought of that being my fist long hike, and being gone so long kinda scares me.

Im at the point where I want to research hikes that can be completed in a month or so, and the CT so far is my top contender. your book sounds like a great motivation/decision maker to me.

Images

Congratulations !! I am thrilled to see that you have cleared all the hurdles to getting your book published Bill . I am sure it is a well written book with an abundance of information . If it's anything like your writing style here then it will be a good read.

Quote Originally Posted by Coffee View Post
    I've ordered mine on Amazon and looking forward to reading it! Two months to go before my CT thru hike.
    Hope you enjoy the book and more importantly, I hope you enjoy the hike!

Quote Originally Posted by johnnybgood View Post
    Congratulations !! I am thrilled to see that you have cleared all the hurdles to getting your book published Bill . I am sure it is a well written book with an abundance of information . If it's anything like your writing style here then it will be a good read.
    Much thanks for your kind words, John. Happy trails to you! You know, I miss being closer to Shenandoah NP. I did get there after the big February snowstorm for some snowshoeing.

I'm about halfway through the book and I really like it so far! I'm eagerly anticipating the start of my hike so this is very timely. There are lots of books on the AT and PCT but not many on the Colorado Trail so I'm sure anyone thru hiking the trail will be interested.
    HST/JMT August 2016
    TMB/Alps Sept 2015
    PCT Mile 0-857 - Apr/May 2015
    Foothills Trail Feb 2015
    Colorado Trail Aug 2014
    AT: Rockfish Gap to Boiling Springs 2014
    John Muir Trail Aug/Sept 2013

Quote Originally Posted by Coffee View Post
    I'm about halfway through the book and I really like it so far! I'm eagerly anticipating the start of my hike so this is very timely. There are lots of books on the AT and PCT but not many on the Colorado Trail so I'm sure anyone thru hiking the trail will be interested.
    Much thanks for your endorsement Coffee and best of luck on your hike!

WBers might be interested to know that the book contains not one, but two (2) references to Lone Wolf. But neither one is by name so you must discern them. One is fairly straightforward and recognizeable but as for the other, only those who know the Wolfster real well will pick up on it.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
++ New Posts ++