WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Rain jacket recommendations

I hope to start a thru hike in 2018. I am collecting gear now so that I can do several shakedown hikes. I own a rain jacket that I use when I am fly fishing but it weighs 15 oz. I was hoping to find something a little lighter. Any recommendations?

Lots of folks just wear a Frogg Togg unless you're looking for something with some insulation capability.

I like DriDuck raingear from Frog Toggs. It's very light, and very inexpensive. It doesn't respond well to abuse, so don't plan to bushwack if you buy it. However, for on-trail use, it's great. I usually only wear it for a bit of warmth over breakfast, or when I go day hiking, I'll wear it on a mountain top if it's a breezy day.

+1 on the lightweight rain gear from Frog Toggs. You can even get them at wally mart. Mind you, these are not super durable in the sense that if you are bush whacking, or sliding on your rump down hills, they are bound to tear. I forego the pants and wear a rain kilt I had made out of sil nylon. If you want something more durable, you can look at companies like the Marmot Precip Jacket, or Zpacks Vertice rain jacket. I own a Marmot but not the Zpacks, but if their quality is anything like the rest of the Zpacks stuff I own, it should be excellent for a backpacker.
    Whether you think you can, or think you can't--you're right--Henry Ford; The Journey Is The Destination

Leonidas

OR Helium II 6.4oz
    AT: 695.7 mi
    Benton MacKaye Trail '20
    Pinhoti Trail '18-19'
    @leonidasonthetrail https://www.youtube.com/c/LeonidasontheTrail

It's not just the wt of your fly fishing jacket you should be concerned. Fly fishing activities are not "active" having on the go consequences. Every fly fishing rain jacket I've ever looked at is not only heavy but rarely very breathable. Look for a backpacking rain jacket that has better breathability and venting traits for on the go heat generating activities.

Quote Originally Posted by cmoulder View Post
    That's a nice piece of gear. Thanks for the link. If only it was more like $69 instead of $169.

Images

I own a couple of those plus-$100 name-brand rain jackets. Not worth it at all. They either delaminate right away or they have no pockets and no pit zips. Not to mention that none that claim "breathable" actually are, at least not that a backpacker might notice.

I've had Frogg Toggs. Also no pit zips and too few pockets and very fragile.

Right now I have gotten Costco's 32-degree rain jacket for $20. Reasonably light-weight, 5 pockets, but alas no pit zips. So far I haven't had to wear it in a pouring rain, but like it a lot.
    [I]ye shall not pollute the land wherein ye are: ... Defile not therefore the land which ye shall inhabit....[/I]. Numbers 35

[url]www.MeetUp.com/NashvilleBackpacker[/url]

Quote Originally Posted by Rain Man View Post
    I own a couple of those plus-$100 name-brand rain jackets. Not worth it at all. They either delaminate right away or they have no pockets and no pit zips. Not to mention that none that claim "breathable" actually are, at least not that a backpacker might notice.

I've had Frogg Toggs. Also no pit zips and too few pockets and very fragile.

Right now I have gotten Costco's 32-degree rain jacket for $20. Reasonably light-weight, 5 pockets, but alas no pit zips. So far I haven't had to wear it in a pouring rain, but like it a lot.
    I've been using the EMS thunderhead for a few years, it has generous pit zips, not terrible expensive ($60 on sale at times) but like all the others it too delaminates...and only two outside had pockets and one inside mesh pocket behind hand pocket. They're just okay jackets middle of the road.

I'm thru hiking now. My Frogg Toggs Ultralite 2 rain jacket is outlasting the $100-200 jackets. One girls Montbell jacket wetted out in 30 minutes of a 3 hour downpour. Me...I just had a little bit of sweat moisture but nothing to write home about. Save the money for a hotel and buy the $12 Frogg Toggs jacket.

The ghost weighs like 3 oz. don't know how good it is though looks very thin and this guy at Franklin said it isn't windproof but I want to try it and see how it goes but expensive. Cheap rain ponchos that you get in a tiny square shape so not work. Avoid them. They are cheap and lightweight but useless for being on the trail. Running to your car say in town maybe that's what they are good for

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The old style Frogg Toggs are also surprisingly warm and I use mine in lieu of a puffy for cool evenings.
    Lonehiker (MRT '22)

Default Rain jacket recommendations

I just use my army gortex its good quality and you can pair it with a field jacket liner for cold weather. two birds with one stone

Some days, it's not worth chewing through the restraints.

Frogg toggs are $20 at Walmart - for that kind of money I can cut my own pit vents.

I use Frogg Toggs and an umbrella

Marmot Precip worked well for my thru. I guess it's a little on the heavy side at around 12oz but I mainly used it for blocking wind. Once I got a little comfortable on trail I decided my puffy was not necessary. Precip+light merino layer was more than warm enough when needed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    GAME '16 4/18/16-8/12/16
    Trailjournal: http://www.trailjournals.com/jjdontplay
    Blog (Post Trail Gear Reviews): https://keeppushingon.wordpress.com/

Default Heavy, but trailworthy.

Quote Originally Posted by CassSarahSilvius View Post
    I just use my army gortex its good quality and you can pair it with a field jacket liner for cold weather. two birds with one stone
    While I still use my old Army Goretex on occasion, I found it a bit heavy for the trail. They're great if you know you're going to be hiking in colder temps though, as they provide decent warmth on their own.

Any Goretex Pac Lite with pit zips is good enough. There are many brands that use it and they all seem to be on sale. Just google it. You can find Arcteryx for 125 Pac Lite Beta SL or whatever it is, the OR Aspire (women's) the mens has another name, also on sale for $88 on Amazon, Haglofs for $150 in places and ALWAYS check Sierra Trading Post and Amazon before buying anywhere. Also use CHROME and add the HONEY extension to the browser, and also the Price Blink Extension. Those two will automatically tell you when you are looking at a product where you can find the same item for cheaper. I've saved probably thousands of dollars between Honey catching cheaper prices between Amazon sellers, and Price Blink catching cheaper prices all over the web. But they do miss some things so I also do Google searches as well. Look around, find what you really want, two or three good options and then stalk those prices until you find them on sale. You'll be in good shape come time to hit the trailhead. As someone else pointed out, there's always Black Friday as well for guaranteed sales, so don't feel you need to rush and jump on everything at once. There's also after Christmas, New Years, and Spring sales! Just stalk what you need. But get quality stuff. Frogg Toggs for an AT Thru Hike is on the extreme end of ridiculous. You'll be cold and wet, in between your multiple wasted days of Walmart runs to replace them, is my guess.

RAINS from Denmark makes all sorts of goodies

The North Face Venture II has pit zips, not sure about weight or durability.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++