WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Water flavoring

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Water flavoring

I drink lots of water when I'm hiking but my wife just doesn't seem to like the taste of plain water.
    What are some of your favorite "additives" that you use to flavor the H2O. Light weight and compact size are preferable.

I picked up a few of the MiO (highly concentrated) water enhancers last week. Grape and orange flavors, both were quite good, small and should be available most anywhere.

Moose poop and pee are some of the most common

I've been cutting back on Gatorade powder as it's too damn heavy...21 oz powder pack only lasts me about 3.5 days.....I like the Arnold palmer packs as a treat....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Nuun Flavored Tablets are nice.

They even make a iced tea w/Lemmon that weren't to bad either.

Images

Just plain old bulk-powder Gatorade, the ~100 cal/oz weight goes right into the other food/calorie daily allotment, so I'm not seeing this big "weight penalty" talked about below, though is does bring down the overall calorie/ounce average slightly.

Those electrolytes are extremely important. I mix mine roughly half strength compared to pre-mixed stuff. Maybe 1-2 ounces a day is all I use, mixed with maybe half of my day's drinking water. I sometimes carry those sugar-free flavorings when I can't get Gatorade powder, but those truly are a weight penalty. Crystal light ain't too bad. My wife likes and carries Tang.

There are a few flavors of Nuun tablets I like, the others taste like medicine... my problem is I can never remember which flavors I like!

Orange MIO

Journal Entries
    Images

Coffee

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

I like endurolytes or nunn tablets while hiking and mio at camping spot.

Quote Originally Posted by tflaris View Post
    Nuun Flavored Tablets are nice.

Like the Nuun fizz tablets in all non-caffeine flavors. They turn mountain spring water into ginger ale . . . with some fizz. And make for great thirst quenchers in the heat.

I'm going to try the GU 0.7 ounce packets for 20 oz. of water. Sugar content isn't terrible at 9 grams for the packet. It is a good electrolyte replacement.

Journal Entries

We have sqwincher kwik stix at work for hot weather

light and compact (sugar free)
    just enough taste for 1 L instead of the 20 oz on label
    just enough variety to keep things satisfy

So, I bring 4 per day..=0.4 oz per day

I dont want overwhelming taste, just a little , then I drink much more
    especially if its off tasting water
    Got some really sulfurous water in NM once...couldnt drink it regardless

What nuun flavors taste good?

Journal Entries

I carry a 2L platypus in my pack that stays cooler than bottles in pockets. I have a 16oz bottle in a cozy for coffee every morning and have good old fashion Tang to mix in my cup during meals. I load up on Gatorade and Rock-star energy drinks while in towns. I don't like mixing stuff with my water in a hydro-bladder as it only increases the times in the field I need to pull it and wash it.
    Blackheart

100% Organic Matcha Green Tea Powder. Sometimes mixed with powdered coconut water with my two favorites being Navitas Organics and Coco Hydro Pineapple.

I also like mixing the Navitas Organics Maqui powder with coconut water powder.

Truly, I'm looking forward to include Navitas Organics Essential powdered mixes into on and off trail water. We'll see what Navitas Organics exact nutritional profile is for the Essential line. If it's similar to the high quality as the rest of their products I've tried or currently use it should be a winner for the trail. If I'm taking a powder on trail to add to water I like more than it being mainly based on sugar especially unnaturally derived and added sugar, a flavoring, or simply protein powdered mix supplement. I really like a mix of very high quality Organic minimally refined easy to understand ingredients that provide probiotics, greens, enzymes, a wide spectrum of nutrient dense superfoods and antioxidants, as well as protein. http://www.navitasorganics.com/super...sential-blends. http://www.navitasorganics.com/super...-blends..,that is also great tasting.

I am currently enjoying a somewhat like but not exact mix made by Amazing Grass. https://www.amazinggrass.com/proteinsuperfood/

I've been enjoying Navitas Organics on and off trail for more than 6 yrs. I am not directly sponsored by them but as disclosure I do have a wholesale connection. Maybe, in a sense that is being sponsored. Either way, I surely appreciate the spectrum of nutritional benefits on trail of high quality Navitas Organics products.

Heather "Anish" Anderson I believe is now being sponsored by Navitas Organics. I did not know until seeing this Heather also bagged the AZT FKT for both women and men. Here's what she says: http://www.navitasorganics.com/insider-heather

Chia seeds

Tang - even though advertised as a breakfast drink, is just as refreshing any time of day. And I also take lemonade powder drink mix sweetened with Splenda artificial sweetener - just mix the Lemonade powder & Splenda together well, & then you can spoon out however much you want to mix up when you stop for a break.

I have use the Crystal Light single-serve packets before that are available at Walmart and probably most other grocery stores. Some taste better than others.

My go to while on trail is kool aid singles.

https://www.amazon.com/Kool-Aid-Sing.../dp/B001FA1MN8

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast
++ New Posts ++