WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4

Thread: Water flavoring

Quote Originally Posted by Dogwood View Post
    WHY? Maybe, because you're not addicted or accustomed to craving sweetness in all you drink or eat?

I'm with you Greenlight. Nothing so refreshing as clean nothing added water fresh from a cool spring or mountain stream. Look forward to it every time my feet take to a hike. How beautiful and wise Nature - the Creator, whatever, is.
    I'm with both of you. After drinking "city water" which has a chlorine taste, I love drinking fresh mountain spring water.

But the OP's wife does not. Some people don't like plain water. To each their own. HYOH. Unfortunately I don't have much to add except that the lightweight flavor enhancers or powdered drink mixes likely have artificial sweeteners in them. The heavy ones probably have real sugar. If this is important to the OP's wife, choose accordingly. If not, go by flavor... and since she's the picky eater (drinker in this case) why are WE trying to determine what she should drink? Have her experiment now - off the trail - to see what she likes and doesn't like; having her be mindful of the weight and bulk of the items she tries.

I like the true lemon mostly added into bland foods. I usually drink plain spring water and love it, however I have found that Tazo brand "wild sweet orange" flavor is really a treat on occasion in my water bottle and smells / tastes yummy as a hot tea. They are single serving packed ( not loose tea) so very easy on trail. Whatever works for you. Try a little of everything on trail and bring swapable stuff to exchange with others for variety.

Well I start off with Gatorade bottles so the first liter is flavored. I'll also carry crystal light singlets though it depends on the duration of the hike. For a day hike water is fine but if I'm going to be out for a week or more I'm going to want variety, hence the singlets.

Quote Originally Posted by saltysack View Post
    What nuun flavors taste good?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Missed your question. My fave is watermelon flavor, maybe grape too.

Quote Originally Posted by Tipi Walter View Post
    Missed your question. My fave is watermelon flavor, maybe grape too.
    Thx I'll give them a shot

Journal Entries
    Images

WHY? Maybe, because you're not addicted or accustomed to craving sweetness in all you drink or eat?

I'm with you Greenlight. Nothing so refreshing as clean nothing added water fresh from a cool spring or mountain stream. Look forward to it every time my feet take to a hike. How beautiful and wise Nature - the Creator, whatever, is.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

No, you can't. You were just lucky. You need sugary/sweet water "sports drinks" powder with electrolytes which is a fancy "sports science" sounding name for component ions EASILY obtained in a healthy natural diet. While we do indeed need electrolytes we DO NOT NEED an electrolyte drink mix to properly hydrate and increase performance....even in the context of long hrs of LD hiking.

If asked of 100 random people to name three or four electrolytes I'll assert less than 25 can.

The two main electrolytes lost through sweating are Na+ and Cl- which are obtained in table salt dissolved in water. It's not like "salt" isn't more than adequately abundant in common trail foods. Heck a common burger and fries typically have these electrolytes in ready abundance so that's how easy it is to find these electrolytes in COMMON food but fit for the trail.

K+ is another main electrolyte easy to replace with trail foods such as dried apricots, bananas, cheese, many greens(spinach, Swiss chard, kale, etc), beans, fish, coconut(chips are delish and naturally sweet with no added sugar containing other common main electrolytes lost in sweat with a high cal/oz ratio - all why it was recommended as a powder mix, if that's your approach, to add to drinking water on trail), various easy to carry small vegetables.

I can go on and on mentioning COMMON trail food high in often a wide spectrum of electrolytes with Mg++, Ca++, HCO3-, HPO4-, trace copper, zinc, etc so this marketed 'ade" hype that we need a sports drink is VERY MUCH NOT TRUE! Obtaining a huge amount of electrolytes can be had easily in more than adequate amounts for LD hikers in trail ready foods

And while we're replenishing electrolytes in REAL FOOD we're getting a host of other nutritional benefits. No absolute need for an electrolyte sports drink!
    With all due respect, Dogwood....yes you can, and no he wasn't.

You will RARELY find any military drink any "sugary" water while in the field. I get your point about micronutrients, but the food served to military in the field (MRE's, container rations, etc) is heavily laden with salt and other micro's. You don't need them just from water, and you don't need them throughout the entire course of the day.

If the water flavorings were really that big of an issue, please tell me how the early AT hikers and western expansionist settlers ever made it through the trail without the modern miracles of properly balanced sugar waters.

I'm not trying to attack you, but you make some initial valid points, and then go on such a monologue that even someone who finds this subject interesting (like me) just gives up reading after the third paragraph.

Clueless Weekender
    Journal Entries

I can go on and on mentioning COMMON trail food high in often a wide spectrum of electrolytes with Mg++, Ca++, HCO3-, HPO4-, trace copper, zinc, etc so this marketed 'ade" hype that we need a sports drink is VERY MUCH NOT TRUE! Obtaining a huge amount of electrolytes can be had easily in more than adequate amounts for LD hikers in trail ready foods

And while we're replenishing electrolytes in REAL FOOD we're getting a host of other nutritional benefits. No absolute need for an electrolyte sports drink!
    You're right, of course, and wrong as well, of course.

I mostly practice what you're advising, but sometimes carry a small amount of a powdered sports drink that has the right Na/K ratio, nearly the right salt/sugar ratio (it's a little too far on the sweet side). Many times, I wind up carrying it home. But it's handy for oral rehydration therapy - even obsessive handwashers like me sometimes get the stomach bug - or to get fast relief from a bonk (either dehydration or low blood sugar). It may not be quite as good for the purpose as a dedicated ORT mixture, but that's really single-purpose, and probably not worth the parasitic weight.

And I don't even like the stuff all that much. I don't drink soda at home, either.

Although I'm not nearly as impatient with you as I am with the sodium nazis. On the trail, if you have a metabolism at all like mine, Na is your friend. I think there have been days that I've washed more salt out of my T-shirt than the FDA wants to allow me to consume in a week. (Maybe not quite literally, but I don't eat a lot or prepackaged food, even on the trail, and I do seem to run short of Na+ from time to time if I don't make it a point to include more than I'd enjoy having in town.)
    I always know where I am. I'm right here.

TX Aggie, I was being facetious in my opening paragraph which you recently quoted. Tongue in cheek.

TX Aggie, I was being facetious in my opening paragraph which you recently quoted. Tongue in cheek.
    Missed that. Caught it after I reread it.

You've got some good info, I think you just get too much in the weeds with it.

My favorite water enhancer is Jack Daniels . I don't know from electrolytes but it's got a way of relaxing you after a long day in the woods

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Francis Sawyer View Post
    My favorite water enhancer is Jack Daniels . I don't know from electrolytes but it's got a way of relaxing you after a long day in the woods
    "I'll have a water and Jack, hold the water." Any other way is a sin. I like mine 'neat.'
    “For of all sad words of tongue or pen,
    the saddest are these, 'It might have been.”

John Greenleaf Whittier

Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by imscotty View Post
    "I'll have a water and Jack, hold the water." Any other way is a sin. I like mine 'neat.'
    That reminded me of when I went to McD's and tried to order two double hamburgers. The guy working said they didn't have that on the menu. I then told him give me two double cheeseburgers hold the cheese. I got up to the window and the manager apologized and said he would program a double hamburger into the computer. He then gave me my order for free. I tried to pay, but he insisted.
    Blackheart

I'd say freeze the water and flavor it with 20 oz. of Dr. Pepper, if we're venturing into the less practical flavor options.

I use Tailwind from time to time on my section hikes.
    Termite fart so much they are responsible for 3% of global methane emissions.

Identification of electrolytes: A device that provides light without requiring fire or batteries to generate.

Exactly, I look forward to the wonderful, natural, clean SPRING water. Of course, I only section hike, may would look at it differently if I was a LD hiker

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4
++ New Posts ++