WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Quote Originally Posted by map man View Post
    In significant rains (particularly wind driven rains) any rain jacket or pants I have tried have wetted out fairly quickly and don't provide much more warmth than a light wind shirt. If wind gusts are really bad I don't use the umbrella -- I tend to take shelter in conditions like those.
    This. Last time I got caught in that situation was back in April heading from Lance Creek over Blood Mtn to Neels Gap. Wetted out and started getting really cold even while moving. Thanks goodness Mountain Crossings was there to go inside and warm up. In the future, I'm just going to wait it out under similar circumstances.

Journal Entries
    Images

Your umbrella won't last. I had 50 mph winds and rain several times and it was always around 40 degrees. I only had one day when it rained without wind and actually I just walked in it. It felt great on a 90 degree day. Go with Rain Gear. They make great wind breakers also.

After out 280 mile section hike this year with many days of rain I would suggest a poncho.

I had a rain jacket/rain kilt this year. The kilt was awesome but I was wet from the inside from sweat.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I know it's a $$$ piece of kit but the Packa has been great. http://www.thepacka.com/

Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Fireplug View Post
    Your umbrella won't last. I had 50 mph winds and rain several times and it was always around 40 degrees. I only had one day when it rained without wind and actually I just walked in it. It felt great on a 90 degree day. Go with Rain Gear. They make great wind breakers also.
    Me umbrellas have lasted just fine
    Montbell ul and chrome dome

I wedge my umbrella handle under chest strapMy ccf is across top of pack. Umbrella is pulled down over this putting it in tension against chest strap

I hikes hands free w/ poles in pouring rain .(or sun. ) No hood. No hat. No soaking thru shoulders or under straps. Usually just carry poles to keep hands dry though.

Not an either-or decision.
    Its a luxury decision
    Last edited by MuddyWaters; 08-29-2017 at 16:31.

Journal Entries

while I love umbrella hiking the solution seems to be layering, from top to bottom: brimmed watertight hat, rain hooded rain jacket, pack cover you can wrap around yourself also, rain skirt (or pants if it's cold enough).

Some days, it's not worth chewing through the restraints.

Quote Originally Posted by Fireplug View Post
    Your umbrella won't last.
    Mine have lasted just fine. I'm sure it would get blown apart above treeline in the whites, but it's held up fine in the woods. The trick is to hold it loosely and let it roll with the punches. Sure, you can't hike with two poles and a brolly, but I just use one cane anyhow. Getting comfortable hiking in bad weather takes some adapting.

Find your own way, Grasshopper.

Quote Originally Posted by Click View Post
    For two weeks I've been reading the "Flossie & Gray Squirrel" journal. They have umbrellas fastened to their pack - my guess is that 75% of the time the umbrellas worked fine for mist and non-windy rain. They also had rain gear on top with shorts/skirt on the bottom for the other 25% of the time. They have been happy with the set up.
    That's what I use too. Umbrella for the steady rains. I also use Fogg Toggs jacket for colder/ windy condx. 8oz for the umbrella and 4 oz for the FT jacket. Versital....

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

I think about current politics. that adds 1 or 2 degrees to my core temp

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

In my opinion -----rain gear is the way to go! It will keep you drier and can be used as a layer of cover and warmth inside your bag!
    Umbrellas only have one use and not multi functional.

Default Umbrella or Rain Gear NOBO starting May 1st

I would expect a flurry of NCAA signings this week but will the Aces be part of it?

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
++ New Posts ++