WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Default Karl Meltzer's Guide to Tackling an Appalachian Trail Thru-Hike - Men's Journal

Men's Journal

Karl Meltzer's Guide to Tackling an Appalachian Trail Thru-Hike
    Men's Journal
    Karl Meltzer began exploring the Appalachian Trail (AT) as young boy growing up in New Hampshire and has been hiking it ever since, culminating in last year's thru-hike speed record (that's 2,190 miles in 45 days, 22 hours, and 38 minutes. In other ...

More...

What an obnoxious narcissist.

I've been preaching a lot of what the Speedgoat's is saying about training for a thru....just sayin....

The thing I took away from the article is that if you want to do a thru on Hoka's, you will need about $3000. He got about 100 miles per pair. Yikes. I get that they are comfortable, but....100 miles? Really? Can I get a sponsorship? A gofundme for shoes?

I'm not getting the obnoxious narcissist thing....he's a bad ass pro-level athlete who set the AT absolute FKT offering his advice on how to set yourself up to finish your thru. He might know what he is talking about...

The dude WON 6 Wasatch 100's. That's unfreaking thinkable. Just imagining the Wasatch 100 causes runners to pucker...

Plus, the Goat played 230 holes of golf in 12 hours. That record will likely never be broken. That's only 3.13 minutes per hole.

Narcissist? If you mean he's not shy of saying he's the best....guess what? He's the best. He is the best 100 miler in world history. He did this insanity: Red Bull Human Express 2010. (Pony Express Trail, Sacramento, CA to St. Joseph, MO 2064 miles, 40 days. 105 miles the last day in 19:21. He's the fastest AT hiker in world history. And the FOURTH fastest AT hiker in world history. If the Speedgoat has anything to say about LD hiking, guess what? I am going to listen intently.

I expect Speedgoat's next feat will be the penultimate. Something that not only will nobody ever beat, nobody will likely ever try. A NOBO/SOBO continuous thru. 2190 Springer to K. Have a sip of non-alcoholic champagne. Turn around and do the 2190 back to Springer. Do it in under 90 days. My money is that you may get to see this insanity this year. He is in prime shape. If not this year, he WILL try it. It is the last thing to do. I've already got the catchphrase....."Both Ways in 90 Days(tm)"

I enjoyed his "Made to be Broken" video. The article was pretty much a fluff piece, but some good advice. I didn't get "obnoxious narcissist" from either, but I don't know the man personally.

His FKT was impressive, regardless of how one feels about such endeavors.

Images

Quoted from the article
    For those of us not looking to break the record — taking the usual three months to hike it — here's his advice.
    The usual three month thru-hike. Yeah, okay. 1100 miles of white blazes and 1100 miles of yellow ones. Got it.

Images

No Interest.

Journal Entries

He's the fastest AT hiker in world history. And the FOURTH fastest AT hiker in world history.

I don't understand. Could you tell me how he can be the fastest AT hiker in world history in one sentence and the FORTH fastest AT hiker in world history please?
    Blackheart

Quote Originally Posted by BuckeyeBill View Post
    He's the fastest AT hiker in world history. And the FOURTH fastest AT hiker in world history.

I don't understand. Could you tell me how he can be the fastest AT hiker in world history in one sentence and the FORTH fastest AT hiker in world history please?
    His 2016 FKT is an absolute FKT. It was a scorching time that will be tough to beat this year. He also did a thru in 2007 or 8. That time is the FOURTH fastest EVER for the AT. Thus, He holds the record AND the fourth fastest time. Making him the Fastest and the Fourth Fastest TIME/MAN/WOMAN/MUTANT in AT thru history. Sorry you don't get that....to have been any clearer I would have needed to filter the statement through a Sawyer for ya....

Images

You know, we get a lot from narcissists. They think enough of themselves to believe they have something to add, and sometimes they do. Just sayin'.
    "I wonder if anyone else has an ear so tuned and sharpened as I have, to detect the music, not of the spheres, but of earth, subtleties of major and minor chord that the wind strikes upon the tree branches. Have you ever heard the earth breathe... ?"
    - Kate Chopin

Sorry, for the last snark. It may have been uncalled for. May, being the key phrase....

Anyway, just in case anyone doubts the ultrarunner that the Speedgoat is, last year's scorching FKT on the AT was done at age.......

The Speedgoat turns 50 this year. Can you imagine? 48 years old and the absolute FKT....

Quote Originally Posted by scope View Post
    You know, we get a lot from narcissists. They think enough of themselves to believe they have something to add, and sometimes they do. Just sayin'.
    There is the textbook example of a backhanded compliment. Snarkism in it's original form. Love it!

Glad you could pry yourself away from your reflective pool long enough to type that!

Images

First time I've ever heard KM called a "narcissist". Ridiculous. Cool little article, I love his "chase the calories" nutrition comments, must make the nutrition-fascists on here crazy!

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Harvey_birdman View Post
    Wow, did KM piss in your cookpot as he went through your on-trail camp at night?
    enemy of unnecessary but innovative trail invention gadgetry

I love amazing feats of human performance. They are inspiring. However, I'll never accept these FKT's as "thru-hikes". They are trail runs.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by ScareBear View Post
    There is the textbook example of a backhanded compliment. Snarkism in it's original form. Love it!

Glad you could pry yourself away from your reflective pool long enough to type that!
    Really?!? Lose a little narcissism yourself, how 'bout it?
    "I wonder if anyone else has an ear so tuned and sharpened as I have, to detect the music, not of the spheres, but of earth, subtleties of major and minor chord that the wind strikes upon the tree branches. Have you ever heard the earth breathe... ?"
    - Kate Chopin

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by scope View Post
    Really?!? Lose a little narcissism yourself, how 'bout it?
    I'm working on snark reduction at the moment...I'll deal with my cloudy reflective pool later!

Images

Quote Originally Posted by JPritch View Post
    I love amazing feats of human performance. They are inspiring. However, I'll never accept these FKT's as "thru-hikes". They are trail runs.
    Except that it's my understanding that Anish, for one, didn't actually run at all. She walked/hiked. 3 miles per hour pace for up to 16 hours per day. She often ate while she hiked. It's long hours at a fast hiking pace, but not actually trail running.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by 4eyedbuzzard View Post
    Except that it's my understanding that Anish, for one, didn't actually run at all. She walked/hiked. 3 miles per hour pace for up to 16 hours per day. She often ate while she hiked. It's long hours at a fast hiking pace, but not actually trail running.
    Same with Jennifer Pharr Davis. She walked nearly all of it. different category (being supported), I know.

Quote Originally Posted by Malto View Post
    Wow, did KM piss in your cookpot as he went through your on-trail camp at night?
    Now THAT is funny!

Quote Originally Posted by Harvey_birdman View Post
    What a jackass thing to say on your 4th post, little man. Did you even bother to read the short article or watch the video? Name one single sentence that he said that could be remotely interpreted as narcissistic. Here are the few that I got:
    "The crew is the most important thing -- I'm 20%, they're 80%."
    "The most precious thing was getting to spend 46 days with my dad."
    "The record holder helped me out -- how great is that?"
    "I'm 49 years old -- what if I failed again?"
    His dad asked him, "Are you as tough as Jurek?" His reply, "I don't think so."
    "I gave up in 2014."

Name one thing he said that was out of line, Birdman​.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
++ New Posts ++