WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Appalachian Trail Hikers Now Able to Register for Campsites - The knoxville focus

Appalachian Trail Hikers Now Able to Register for Campsites
    The knoxville focus
    The Appalachian Trail Conservancy (ATC) is happy to announce the launch of A.T.CAMP, a website that allows groups of six to ten hikers to find and register for campsites along the Appalachian Trail (A.T.). This system is designed to help groups plan ...

More...

Is it raining yet?
    Images

Don't like this one bit. Smells like the beginning of California where every damn campsite is reserved months if not a year ahead of time. Don't like the idea of encouraging and facilitating groups of 10 people in the backcountry either.
    Be Prepared

Quote Originally Posted by BlackCloud View Post
    Don't like this one bit. Smells like the beginning of California where every damn campsite is reserved months if not a year ahead of time. Don't like the idea of encouraging and facilitating groups of 10 people in the backcountry either.
    It was probably always meant to be this way---keeping careful tabs on overnight backpackers. It would not surprise me to also see all AT backpackers charged $5 per night for a fee and to designate every single campsite before the trip. Impossible you say? Well, it's the exact system used now for normal backpacking in the GSMNP. Once the head honchos tabulate every single approved campsite on the 2,100 miles of the AT, well, they will have made the experience hollow and non-dimensional. Might as well hang up the gear and play golf.

Agree. Don't like this at all.

Wanna-be hiker trash
    Images

Agree, this is a rather chilling proposal.

I couldn't tell you the last time I hit the trail in the morning and knew exactly where I was going to stay that night, let alone knowing weeks in advance. This flexibility is the entire reason I favor the A.T. over areas with more strict regulations.
    Colorless green ideas sleep furiously.

first come, first served. who is gonna enforce this fiasco?

Meanwhile,
    There are still places that don't have silly stupid rules or the Group W Bench.
    Wayne

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Eddie Valiant: "That lame-brain freeway idea could only be cooked up by a toon."
    https://wayne-ayearwithbigfootandbubba.blogspot.com
    FlickrMyBookTwitSpaceFace

Well, if it's put out by the ATC, and any of us are members (I am), we can contact the ATC and tell them what we think. I don't usually think that contacting an organization works well to get what I want, but it's a first step. Pringles

Images

ATC is anouncing their NEW, new name. Instead of Appalachian Trail Conference, they thought Appalachian Trail Conservancy sounded better for fund raising. Now that their goal is more about regulating and restricting the hikers and hikes, they think Appalachian Trail Corporation will work better. Soon it will be "Pay your money, and we might let you use OUR trail."

Very bad and slippery slop this corporation is heading down.

Images

Before we jump to conclusions Laurie Pottieger needs to clarify what the ATC is trying to accomplish.
    Order your copy of the Appalachian Trail Passport at www.ATPassport.com

Green Mountain House Hostel
    Manchester Center, VT

http://www.greenmountainhouse.net

I've always felt backpacking was best achieved as a solo endeavor...wake up folks, it's the beginning of the end.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff View Post
    Before we jump to conclusions Laurie Pottieger needs to clarify what the ATC is trying to accomplish.
    I think that is explained in the post. See following excerpts:

“This system is not meant to reserve a spot for a group and does not impose restrictions for campers seeking to stay at the same location,” said Zink. “It’s a voluntary system that provides a tool for groups to plan their hikes, to minimize or eliminate damage and to maximize their enjoyment of the unique Appalachian Trail experience.”

"Groups will be able to see how many other campers have also registered for these locations and will receive an immediate notification if their group exceeds the quota for campsites they have selected."
    Last edited by gpburdelljr; 04-22-2017 at 19:21.

Images

Smells like the beginning of California ...
    Quote Originally Posted by Tipi Walter View Post
    ... careful tabs on overnight backpackers.... hollow and non-dimensional. Might as well hang up the gear and play golf.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sarcasm the elf View Post
    Agree, this is a rather chilling proposal. ...
    Quote Originally Posted by Lyle View Post
    ... "Pay your money, and we might let you use OUR trail." Very bad and slippery slop this corporation is heading down.
    Quote Originally Posted by rocketsocks View Post
    ...wake up folks, it's the beginning of the end.
    The end is near! Repent!

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff View Post
    Before we jump to conclusions ...
    What? Why, where's the fun in that? Its far more entertaining to comment on something with limited information. Going off half-cocked is the WB way.

Wanna-be hiker trash
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by 4eyedbuzzard View Post
    The end is near! Repent! :eek
    Why would I waste time repenting, the end is near and I've got too much stuff to do!

Quote Originally Posted by 4eyedbuzzard View Post
    The end is near! Repent!

What? Why, where's the fun in that? Its far more entertaining to comment on something with limited information. Going off half-cocked is the WB way.
    half cocked is technically a safety mode

Sounds to me like the ATC, of which I am a member, is getting a bit "smitten" with themselves. It seems completely senseless to institute any type of program/policy that can't be enforced. I agree with Jeff's previous post, it will be interesting to see how the ATC folks attempt to explain/clarify this.

Quote Originally Posted by rocketsocks View Post
    half cocked is technically a safety mode
    Ding ding, winner!

Images

I have once again shot myself in the foot. Should have just left the hammer down.

CDT - 2013, PCT - 2009, AT - 1300 miles done burger's Avatar

Jeebus, did even one of you whiners above read the article?

“This system is not meant to reserve a spot for a group and does not impose restrictions for campers seeking to stay at the same location,” said Zink. “It’s a voluntary system that provides a tool for groups to plan their hikes, to minimize or eliminate damage and to maximize their enjoyment of the unique Appalachian Trail experience.”
    It's not a reservation system. It's for keeping track of how many people are going to be at a site and letting people make alternate plans if their desired site is going to be overcrowded. No fees. No limits. It's just for seeing if you're planned shelter is going to have 20 boy scouts or something.

Frankly, there are too many people on the AT and, like it or not, some sort of limits will be ready sooner or later. If this helps to reduce overcrowding and helps hikers to have a better, less crowded hike, I am all for it. This sort of voluntary system could forestall the sorts of hard limits that are likely to crop up sooner or later. If you don't like limits, etc., you should be for this, too.

Journal Entries

I read the entire article and went to the website, then watched the 10 minute video. Seems to me the ATC is trying show the "Gee honey lets go camping along the AT for a week" groups > or = to ten a few things.

1. The AT is not like staying at a privately owned campground. No showers, no toilets and the trail is not, flat.
    2. It, along with the Thru-Hiker voluntary registration of a start date, that starting and or camping in large groups has a very negative effect on the trail and its shelter area.
    3. Both systems are Voluntary. You are not required to register, but if you do it may allow the ATC to keep the voluntary system in place, instead of mandatory registration system that may put your hike off for a year or two longer than you wanted.
    4. The ATC stated that the groups should plan on sleeping in tents/hammocks and not the shelters.

Personally I don't see a problem. It is much nicer to camp with smaller groups than 20-30 hikers scattered around you, up all night tripping over your guy lines. Groups of up to 10 including any "Leader" is still manageable. (maybe).
    I can live with a voluntary system rather than have a mandatory registration, permits needed for every turn of the trail or State I happen to be in at the time. I don't like a lot of rules and regulations shoved down my throat when I am trying to get away from the human rat race and their regulations.
    Blackheart

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++