WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by burger View Post
    Jeebus, did even one of you whiners above read the article?

It's not a reservation system. It's for keeping track of how many people are going to be at a site and letting people make alternate plans if their desired site is going to be overcrowded. No fees. No limits. It's just for seeing if you're planned shelter is going to have 20 boy scouts or something.

Frankly, there are too many people on the AT and, like it or not, some sort of limits will be ready sooner or later. If this helps to reduce overcrowding and helps hikers to have a better, less crowded hike, I am all for it. This sort of voluntary system could forestall the sorts of hard limits that are likely to crop up sooner or later. If you don't like limits, etc., you should be for this, too.
    Well said Burger. Folks seem to be quick to start yelling about falling skies every time the ATC comes up with a potentially helpful initiative. This one seems modest and might do absolutely nothing, but the ATC has much greater insight into trail issues than I do (and most everyone on here), I say let them do their job. Plus, it's not like the ATC has enforceable authority to regulate the trail with "permits" and such.

Quote Originally Posted by colorado_rob View Post
    it's not like the ATC has enforceable authority to regulate the trail with "permits" and such.
    You are probably right, the ATC has no authority, but the AT is part of the National Park system and we all know how regulated the NPS likes to be when it comes to overnight backpacking. Case in point? The Great Smoky Mountain NP---Nightly fees for every backpacker and all sites designated beforehand with reservations.

Quote Originally Posted by colorado_rob View Post
    Well said Burger. Folks seem to be quick to start yelling about falling skies every time the ATC comes up with a potentially helpful initiative. This one seems modest and might do absolutely nothing, but the ATC has much greater insight into trail issues than I do (and most everyone on here), I say let them do their job. Plus, it's not like the ATC has enforceable authority to regulate the trail with "permits" and such.
    I just don't see how this is even potentially helpful. I could run down the list of how it is an ill-thought-out idea, but all I have to do to blow this up is start with the word "VOLUNTARY". It is that aspect of this proposal that dooms it to the "it seemed like a good idea at the time" heap. However, it isn't that innocent. I do side with those who believe this is a portent of things to come with the USFS and NPS and that it is completely wrong for the ATC to have any hand at all in it. Exactly who is the ATC to be engaging in trying to control/limit people's access to the people's trail? If that isn't what this foolhardy plan is, then I must be missing something...just like the ATC wanting any hand in controlling any access of the public to the AT is completely WRONG, IMHO. The AT is not a delicate snowflake of an ecosystem that needs restricted access via permits to keep the "throngs" off the trail. And the ATC sure as heck aint the organization to have a dang thing to do with it.

And, not to you CR, but to another poster, the AT is not too crowded. I don't know where that poster hikes the AT, or more specifically WHEN, but the AT is only "crowded" in certain areas at certain times of the year, and even then, it is restricted to essentially the southernmost 100 miles or so. Less than 5 percent of the trail, and then only for 60 days or so. I was just down on the AT packing from I40 to Hot Springs the last couple of weekends, which should have put me in the middle of the bubble, being about 3 weeks from a March start. No campsites were full. No shelters were full. I only encountered three people in 7 miles one day this April. No people, except drivers at a gap, for 6 miles another day. In July a couple years ago, there were two days out of 6 that I never saw a human on the AT in NC and I only saw people at a shelter one time in a week.

If you don't want crowded at the beach, don't go Labor Day weekend. If you don't want crowded on the AT, don't hike Georgia in March.

If you want deserted on the AT, just hike after Labor day weekend in September. I've found the weather is best and there are literally no people. Kids are back at school. Adults are back at work. Thru hikers are long gone everywhere but Maine. Leaf peepers aren't out yet. You could also hike from November 1 to March 1 anywhere on the AT and I can pretty much guarantee there won't be any company for you anywhere but Georgia. And that is only 80 miles, or so.

Quote Originally Posted by burger View Post
    Frankly, there are too many people on the AT and, like it or not, some sort of limits will be ready sooner or later. If this helps to reduce overcrowding and helps hikers to have a better, less crowded hike, I am all for it.
    If this is really true---that there are too many people on the AT, then BUILD ANOTHER TRAIL SYSTEM. We have Interstate highways thruout the country with more being built monthly. Why? To handle the flow of too much traffic and too many people. If hiking trails are a priority then build more of them. Sadly, wheeled traffic is way more important in our society than foot trails, obviously.

Quote Originally Posted by Tipi Walter View Post
    You are probably right, the ATC has no authority, but the AT is part of the National Park system and we all know how regulated the NPS likes to be when it comes to overnight backpacking. Case in point? The Great Smoky Mountain NP---Nightly fees for every backpacker and all sites designated beforehand with reservations.
    ...and those of us who hike in GSMNP know how often those reservations are inaccurate as people don't show up, don't bother canceling, or show up at a site without a reservation.

For someone to base their plans on how many people are voluntarily ​registered at a campsite is naive and possibly foolhardy.

Wanna-be hiker trash
    Images

I see we've found out Sunday morning thread.
    Colorless green ideas sleep furiously.

Quote Originally Posted by Traffic Jam View Post
    ...and those of us who hike in GSMNP know how often those reservations are inaccurate as people don't show up, don't bother canceling, or show up at a site without a reservation.

For someone to base their plans on how many people are voluntarily ​registered at a campsite is naive and possibly foolhardy.
    In the GSMNP registering is not voluntary. Perhaps someday the AT will have fees and reservations--- also NOT voluntary. Just because the Smokies system may be inaccurate with all sorts of leeways does not mean I can go in and camp without a permit/fee/reservation.

Your last point seems to support involuntary registration on the AT---make it a rule---like in the GSMNP. Why? Because you say voluntary participation won't work. Result? More tent police, more regs, more fees, more control.

Images

There's no mention in the linked article or program of limiting anyone's access to the trail. The only place such limits exist is in conspiracy theories.

And FYI: Perhaps some of you have forgotten, but without the ATC, there wouldn't be a trail in the first place. And some of you would have to find something else to complain about - like not even having a trail at all. Regarding ATC's place in the grand scheme of things, NPS and other agencies, under their authority from Congress, delegate certain functions regarding the management of the AT to the ATC. Mostly that falls in the areas of conservation and land acquisition, and not regulation of usage. The legal authority for ATC to do so comes under the National Trails act of 1968, 16 USC. And FWIW, it's probably the most successful example of cooperative public / private management of a public asset in existence. 50 years ago, when I first started hiking parts of the AT, over 40% of it was on private land and road walks. Today almost the entire trail is now in a protected corridor. So complain all you want about how bad the partnership between ATC, NPS, USFS, et al are - but understand that their track record regarding managing the AT is pretty damn good.

Quote Originally Posted by Tipi Walter View Post
    In the GSMNP registering is not voluntary. Perhaps someday the AT will have fees and reservations--- also NOT voluntary. Just because the Smokies system may be inaccurate with all sorts of leeways does not mean I can go in and camp without a permit/fee/reservation.

Your last point seems to support involuntary registration on the AT---make it a rule---like in the GSMNP. Why? Because you say voluntary participation won't work. Result? More tent police, more regs, more fees, more control.
    No, that wasn't my point. The involuntary registration system like in GSMNP, is not efficient/accurate. Use one that's voluntary and it will be even less efficient. To put it bluntly, I think it's stupid and would be very unlikely to put any credibility into how many people are purportedly signed up at a particular site.

My concern is for the efficacy of such a system. That does not mean that I'm advocating for a mandatory registration system.
    Last edited by Traffic Jam; 04-23-2017 at 11:19.

Quote Originally Posted by Sarcasm the elf View Post
    I see we've found out Sunday morning thread.
    I'm stuck inside today. Just don't get me started with any sexist comments...

There are times and places on the AT that get crowded. When I go hiking, I enjoy it far better when I don't see many, or any, people. The trail is long enough that if hikers were more evenly spread out there wouldn't be crowded areas at certain times of year. The ATC is promoting VOLUNTARY programs, like this one, and encouraging things like flip-flop thru hikes, that are designed to spread hikers out on the trail so as to provide a better hiking experience for everyone. What is wrong with that? At least they are doing something besides whining.

Wanna-be hiker trash
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Traffic Jam View Post
    I'm stuck inside today. Just don't get me started with any sexist comments...
    No worries, the only reason I posted in this thread in the first place was because I was stuck inside and angry about something unrelated .
    Colorless green ideas sleep furiously.

No worries, the only reason I posted in this thread in the first place was because I was stuck inside and angry about something unrelated .
    You know what Bill says...

drive angry.jpg

I always enjoys your levity. Hope your day gets better.
    And now I'm outta here...have much better things to do with my time.

FYI, MATC has been doing this for several years in Maine. Its intended to try to keep groups from overwhelming campgrounds. In theory if groups are aware that by shifting one day or planning for a different campsite, that they can avoid overcrowding sites its positive thing.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
++ New Posts ++