WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Thread: Dog rain gear?

Default Dog rain gear?

My pup is usually fine just hiking in a fleece if cool and rainy but hoping to do the CT this summer and considering some kind of rain protection for him as Co gets a lot colder at 12,000'+ in the rain...any preference? Thinking may make one from his poly or tyvek ground cloth by adding a few pieces of Velcro.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I don't own rain jackets for my dogs due to their coats but I do own Ruffwear gear and approve of the fit and quality. Probably not in the price range you are thinking since you are mentioning poly and tyvek but it would last a lot longer and actually be functional: http://www.ruffwear.com/sun-shower-dog-raincoat

Images

I could see Tyvek working for your Jack Russell...just take his regular coat and use that as a pattern. His body is compact enough that he doesn't have limbs and body going in too many different directions at one time, so the Tyvek should stay put.

I second Ruffwear for quality products if you opt to just buy a jacket. I also recommend Kurgo for quality dog wear.

My pups (golden-lab mix) are getting a couple of these for their birthday: https://www.kurgo.com/dog-coat/surf-...g-life-jacket/ The life jacket is awesome and fits close to their body and I love the handle to help me haul them back up on the SUP/in the kayak. The detachable 3 season coat will come in handy for my pooch who looks more like a lab and tends to get cold easier than her Golden-looking sister. I will be bringing the coat portion on backpacking trips (when they join me) this spring and fall.

Quote Originally Posted by DuneElliot View Post
    I don't own rain jackets for my dogs due to their coats but I do own Ruffwear gear and approve of the fit and quality. Probably not in the price range you are thinking since you are mentioning poly and tyvek but it would last a lot longer and actually be functional: http://www.ruffwear.com/sun-shower-dog-raincoat
    He has the RW climate changer but it's a fleece. Not waterproof like the others but still warm when wet so may just try to do a make shift ul poncho over it...

The fleece will keep your dog warm in cold weather. But it's not waterproof and will become a trouble if it rains on the trails.
    My suggestion is buying a jacket with fleece lined and polyester or tyvek surface. It do both things together when you hike with your dogs in winter and it's raining outside. You can buy the PetCee Dog Jacket on Amazon, one of my friends use it and it's good.

Right now I have this for our dog

http://raggedmountain.com/pet-gear/dog-rain-coat

He’s a ridgeback and doesn’t like the rain. Unfortunately it’s a little short but it does double his time enjoying the wet weather. When he shakes it shakes dry. Have only had it out a few times though. His head and butt would soak with this coat.

All our other gear is ruffwear. Can’t go wrong with a full Warrenty

It is best to choose a dog raincoat with an adjustable Velcro strap so you can fix it around its stomach. Even if your dog is too active, the dog's abdomen will not get dirty when he runs through the mud.

++ New Posts ++