WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Quote Originally Posted by DavidNH View Post
    let me repeat.. the 100 mile wilderness is really remote and gorgeous and you should take the time to enjoy it. It starts a few miles outside of Monson and ends at Abol Bridge.
    Alas, not remote enough. In 1990 it felt truly wild. 2010, not so much.

The view from Barren Ledges was gorgeous each time, after six days in the woods and the hike nearly done.

That last day, from there to Monson was my least favorite, but maybe I just needed a break.

(Just saying, if you do it nobo and are not impressed after the first day... it gets better.)

Quote Originally Posted by Heliotrope View Post
    How many backpackers are out for that many days without resupply?
    Guilty as charged, but only 7 days. I didn't know any better.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Heliotrope View Post
    How many backpackers are out for that many days without resupply?
    I have yet to resupply during this section...

With that:

I am familiar with the terrain.
    I have my food needs dialed-in so that I am not dragging extra pounds of food along for the ride.
    I am usually hiking it alone. If I were to take others that might push me to plan a resupply.
    I have worked to get my pack base weight low enough to be able to easily (and comfortably) handle the extra food weight.

The longest I have spent in this section is 7 days. The shortest trip was 5 days. I would definitely recommend at least one mosey through this section because it is gorgeous. It can be fairly crowded with thru-hikers, day hikers, section hikers, and local camps/groups. There are also times when there are very few people. It just depends on when you go.

Quote Originally Posted by Water Rat View Post
    I have yet to resupply during this section...

With that:

I am familiar with the terrain.
    I have my food needs dialed-in so that I am not dragging extra pounds of food along for the ride.
    I am usually hiking it alone. If I were to take others that might push me to plan a resupply.
    I have worked to get my pack base weight low enough to be able to easily (and comfortably) handle the extra food weight.

The longest I have spent in this section is 7 days. The shortest trip was 5 days. I would definitely recommend at least one mosey through this section because it is gorgeous. It can be fairly crowded with thru-hikers, day hikers, section hikers, and local camps/groups. There are also times when there are very few people. It just depends on when you go.
    I agree with your point about hiking with others. Especially if you are not sure of their ability. I am planning for another trip through this Summer with my girlfriend who is fit but has not done overnight trips. A resupply sounds more comfortable for her. I want us to both enjoy the trip.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Journal Entries

White House Landing is open and will except a mail drop free to our guests send to our PO box (allow enough time as we don't go to town everyday) or we carry a large amount of trail supplies . We are overnight only and prefer a resurvation but not required. Only .2 to our boat dock for a pick up free to and from)just need to call us from there . $35 bunk house $45 private pp. includes a hot shower , meals are optional , still have the 1lb cheese burger can check out our FB page

How do I get in contact with Phil. Im planning the hike for July.

I went Southbound and it was practically flat for half the time. This will allow you to get in big miles and reduce your pack weight in preparation for the mountains ahead. I used http://100milewilderness.info/ as well and Phil was great. Lot's of advice and very clean place.

I packed way to much food. I was giving it away actually to on coming NOBOers. I calculated 2 pounds for food for 10 days. Way to much. For a non through hiker or one just starting and heading SOBO you haven't and will not build up hiker hungry in one week. Also your first and last days are like half days so keep that in mind (breakfast was eaten on the car ride to the trail head and dinner on the last day was eaten in the car ride heading home. No need to carry it). I did everything in 7 days. If I had to do it over again I would bring 1.5 pounds of food for 7 or 8 days MAX.

Also there are so many stealth spots to camp that you don't need to have anxiety if you can't make the next shelter. Don't limit yourself to the shelters. By just going until your tired you will build up the miles in no time.

I agree with a lot of the hikers here. 100MW is absolutely beautiful. Take it all in.

1,630 miles and counting earlyriser26's Avatar
    Images

Another option is if you only want to hike half the 100 mile wilderness you can be dropped off at Crawford pond, right on the AT, by float plane from Katahdin air service. Not expensive. I did it in October of 2010 and it was wonderful. Even though the northern half of the wilderness has only 3 climbs, the roots and rocks due hold down your pace. In northern maine in october it is pitch black by 5 pm.
    There are so many miles and so many mountains between here and there that it is hardly worth thinking about

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
++ New Posts ++