WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: One Week Hike

Images

Default One Week Hike

I was hoping to find a little help... I have about a week, maybe an extra day or two for travel to section hike the CT this year. Thinking about the first week or two of September. I've been wanting to hike somewhere other than the East Coast now that I have the AT and most of my local trails in PA completed.

I've got brain paralysis from over analysis trying to figure out what sections/sections to hike and the basic logistics of getting there and getting around. I have never hiked in elevations higher than what are found on the East Coast so I'm not sure how I will be with that, but from what I have read you take a day or two before hiking to acclimate and should be good to go. I am in good shape and suspect that should help. I am a pretty strong solo hiker happy to go 15-20 per day. I might prefer sections that are a little more remote and less busy. Maybe with a 14000' peak somewhere along the route. I would be flying out of Philadelphia or Baltimore. Open to suggestions... Not looking for a fully laid out itinerary but could really use a little push in the right direction.

Any suggestions?

If you can get a few more days the collegiate loop last sept was a blast. Fairly Easy logistics but it's 160 miles. I took about 9 days.....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Images

That's what I would really like to do, but unfortunately I can't get two weeks off this year. Thank you for the thought...

Images

Maybe a shortened Collegiate loop? Perhaps start at Mount Princeton Hot springs, head south along the lower elevation east side to acclimate, resupply at Monarch, head north along Collegiate west side, finish at Twin Lakes. Perhaps drive and park at Twin Lakes initially, arrange a ride to MP hot springs or just hitch. Something like that. You can shorten the east side a bit by skipping the loop that ducks south of US 50 near Monarch. In other words, when you get to US 50, hitch up to Monarch pass, resupply at the crest, and head north on the C-west side.

Let me do some mileage calculations and get back to you.... I'm motivated because my wife and I will actually do something similar to this ourselves. We have a little window in early August, but not long enough to do the complete loop, and Twin lakes to MP hot springs along the east side is, dare I say it again, very boring. People get upset when I say "boring" for any part of the CT, but it's all relative.

Edit: Just did a rough mileage calculation, if you do what I say above, it would be roughly 95-100 miles total. 20.4 miles from MP hot springs to US 50 (basically section 14 of the classic CT), then 75-80 miles form Monarch pass back to Twin Lakes along the high, but gorgeous west side. If you took a couple days to do the 20.4 miles along section 14, that would give you some good acclimation. The altitude along section 14 is roughly 8000-9800 feet, nice and modest. But when you started north along the CT west side, you'll get above 12K and briefly to 13K right off the bat, but then drop below 11K pretty quickly, all in the first day north of Monarch.
    Last edited by colorado_rob; 04-18-2017 at 12:14.

A decent one week trip without a car. After Labor Day.
    http://metalbackpacker.com/backpacki...eedleton-loop/
    Wayne

Eddie Valiant: "That lame-brain freeway idea could only be cooked up by a toon."
    https://wayne-ayearwithbigfootandbubba.blogspot.com
    FlickrMyBookTwitSpaceFace

How about the train from Durango to silverton..hike back to Durango fly out..80 miles?

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Venchka View Post
    A decent one week trip without a car. After Labor Day.
    http://metalbackpacker.com/backpacki...eedleton-loop/
    Wayne

Excellent choice Wayne. Excellent. Fantastic shorter loop, and you can ride the train for a little bonus (costs about $100 each though).

Good choice as well, Salty. I sure love that loop that wayne talks about though, I've done all those trails many times.
    Last edited by colorado_rob; 04-18-2017 at 12:54.

The area around Elk Creek and Needle Creek is open to adding a few miles. Rock Lake-Flint Lakes-Ute Lakes. Climbing in Chicago Basin is also a possibility.
    I was supposed to do this trip last year. I might still try this year.
    Wayne

Eddie Valiant: "That lame-brain freeway idea could only be cooked up by a toon."

Images

The area around Elk Creek and Needle Creek is open to adding a few miles. Rock Lake-Flint Lakes-Ute Lakes. Climbing in Chicago Basin is also a possibility.
    I was supposed to do this trip last year. I might still try this year.
    Wayne

Yes! Tons and tons of peak climbing opportunities, from very easy to quite-not-so-easy. If the OP chooses this loop thing I have some definite suggestions on great camps, and camps to avoid if possible, like camping in Chicago basin is problematic.... crowds and more crowds and annoying goats.

Images

Wow, thank you that's awesome! I'll read more into these suggestions tonight. You guys ROCK...

Quote Originally Posted by gwb View Post
    I was hoping to find a little help... I have about a week, maybe an extra day or two for travel to section hike the CT this year. Thinking about the first week or two of September. I've been wanting to hike somewhere other than the East Coast now that I have the AT and most of my local trails in PA completed.

I've got brain paralysis from over analysis trying to figure out what sections/sections to hike and the basic logistics of getting there and getting around. I have never hiked in elevations higher than what are found on the East Coast so I'm not sure how I will be with that, but from what I have read you take a day or two before hiking to acclimate and should be good to go. I am in good shape and suspect that should help. I am a pretty strong solo hiker happy to go 15-20 per day. I might prefer sections that are a little more remote and less busy. Maybe with a 14000' peak somewhere along the route. I would be flying out of Philadelphia or Baltimore. Open to suggestions... Not looking for a fully laid out itinerary but could really use a little push in the right direction.

Any suggestions?
    BEST ADVICE I CAN GIVE YOU IS............DON'T DO IT!!!!!! EAST COAST HIKES WILL NEVER BE THE SAME....SEPTEMBER WAS TERRIBLE!

Images

Forgive me brain works slower than my feet... What are you saying there Salty?

Once you go West you won't go back. East that is.
    I'm partial to the Rockies for the lack of rules and restrictions. Although some rules are creeping in. There is still more places to hike than one lifetime will allow.
    Find Cal-Topo.com on a real computer. Start dreaming. You could easily hike a week in Wyoming with a rental car. Riverton airport from Denver is supposed to be economical. The Wind River Range is handy. Don't tell anyone.

Once you go West you won't go back. East that is.
    I'm partial to the Rockies for the lack of rules and restrictions. Although some rules are creeping in. There is still more places to hike than one lifetime will allow.
    Find Cal-Topo.com on a real computer. Start dreaming. You could easily hike a week in Wyoming with a rental car. Riverton airport from Denver is supposed to be economical. The Wind River Range is handy. Don't tell anyone.

This thread has suggested 1 week hikes. Follow the links to CalTopo maps.
    https://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/sho...rip-suggestion
    The Great Outdoor Shop offers maps, shuttles and advice.
    http://www.greatoutdoorshop.com
    You could also spend a week in the backcountry at Rocky Mountain National Park.

Wayne summed it up.....don't get me wrong.....I love the AT and other SE trails but seem lacking compared to the Sierra or Rockies in every way.....

Will your sleeping system keep you alive on a freak night when the temperature drops below freezing at dark and continues to drop like a stone until dawn?
    Say the low temperature hits 15, maybe a bit less.
    I personally experienced that night around Labor Day at Thirtymile Campground just downstream from the Rio Grande Reservoir in southern Colorado.
    Be ready.
    Wayne

one week? san juans. logistics might be a bit tricky, but well worth it.

Quote Originally Posted by hikeandbike5 View Post
    one week? san juans. logistics might be a bit tricky, but well worth it.
    Cheap one way rental car from Denver IA to Leadville both ways if doing CW. Stay at Leadville hostel first night after drop car then shuttle to Tennessee pass sobo to monarch crest....summit Elbert, massive. Hitch from monarch to Salida stay at simple hostel catch a shuttle back to Leadville for another one way rental...last September think each one way was $75?

that's no where near the san juans.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++