WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default Bivy users.....need advice

Looking for bug protection for my cuben duomid. Mainly would use in cooler months on east coast but would also use for summer hikes out west...i.e. CT. I tried the STS bug pyramid but find it a little bit of a pita to set up and catches on the trekking pole as well as awkward getting in out...debating the 4oz cuben bivy from Borah so could also cowboy camp or the cuben bug bivy...the inner nets are to pricy and heavy for my needs...I tend to sleep cool so my only real concern is condensation on the traditional bivi but the ability to cowboy camp and figure add a few degrees of warmth to my 20* Enigma quilt might be beneficial...bug vs traditional bivi????

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Images

In the situation you describe a simple bivy with net window can work fine. That is what I use in the scenarios you describe. One thing I did was add a small loop to my mid to give me a place to tie up the net window to keep it off my face.

The bigger issue is the east in the summer. There a bivy is too warm in some case and in these situations a full net inner is the perfect solution. Not familiar with the ones upyou list but I made one a couple years back that I pair with my mid in the warm months.
    enemy of unnecessary but innovative trail invention gadgetry

Images

I should have also added that the tie up can also be used while cowboy camping. I usually will attach to a small branch nearby.
    enemy of unnecessary but innovative trail invention gadgetry

Quote Originally Posted by Malto View Post
    I should have also added that the tie up can also be used while cowboy camping. I usually will attach to a small branch nearby.
    Perfect...thx Think I'll give the Borah cuben bivy a shot..4.2 oz...it's lighter than my 1443 tyvek sheet alone.....

I sleep warm and for the summer I am pairing a MLD silnylon bug bivy (full net, 6.3oz) with a Zpacks Hex Solo tarp (the one with the "storm" door... 6.8 oz with guylines and stuff sack). Normally I use the Duplex but my poor pooch can't handle the heat at all (anything above 70°F!!) and I will use this when solo and save 10-11 oz in weight and some bulk. I tested with a HMG Echo II tarp but the coverage is just not quite enough for me... little bit of blowing rain got in far too easily, especially for a rather large-ish tarp.
    Last edited by cmoulder; 04-17-2017 at 10:28.

Journal Entries

You might want to read blogs by Stick and Cesar of the Woods.

Both tried momentum top bivy in AT type environment. Both ended up modifying by adding large mesh panel to top.

Quote Originally Posted by cmoulder View Post
    I sleep warm and for the summer I am pairing a MLD silnylon bug bivy (full net, 6.3oz) with a Zpacks Hex Solo tarp (the one with the "storm" door... 6.8 oz with guylines and stuff sack). Normally I use the Duplex but my poor pooch can't handle the heat at all (anything above 70°F!!) and I will use this when solo and save 10-11 oz in weight and some bulk. I tested with a HMG Echo II tarp but the coverage is just not quite enough for me... little bit of blowing rain got in far too easily, especially for a rather large-ish tarp.
    I rarely get out when it's hot...rather be on the water. I've only been out in really nasty weather once in the duomid and was dry except for a little misting...so thinking since I sleep cold I might be better off as malto said with reg bivy. I went with a larger tarp such as the cuben duomid as I normally have my pup also....though he's only 20lbs....and like the full coverage it offers as compared to smaller tarps...maybe one day I'll try a smaller set up....

Why do you need a argon top bivy which is what you're referring, customarily a bivy to address splash under a tarp, to address flying biting insects? If you add in a WR bivy(w/ solid top fabric) under the Duomid seems there's redundancy.
    Sure you can carry both the WR solid top fabric bivy and Duomid to gain shelter versatility but can't that defeat the idea of simplicity using all that you're carrying simultaneously?

I have to assume since you splurged getting the DuoMid in cuben you're wt concerned. I'd be careful how you piece together components as the total wt can exceed the wt of a integrated 1.5-2 p tent system.

Throwing a WR solid top fabric bivy into the mix having to zip it up to protect against insects is not just impacting insect pressures and shelter versatilities but also the sleep system and the ability to move around inside the DuoMid. Kinda confining in my mind if I must totally zip up into a solid fabric bivy w/ mesh head area staying inside it under a Duomid just to address insects not wanting to string anything up to keep the mesh off my face assuming you don't want to string up a mesh top bug bivy or hold a bivy hood such as with a mesh window off the face by attaching a guy line to the top/side walls of the Duomid. Have you ever slept in such a bivy under med-heavy insect pressure all zipped up?...in hot humid but wet weather...meaning NOW you also must do so inside the Duomid? I can find it confining more so as the weather gets warmer.

In this regard could adding a perimeter mesh suffice? How about reviewing how some with bug perimeter netting make it work? https://ultralightandcomfortable.com...design-duomid/ Maybe add a 1.? oz head net for those few times you do get into buggy outings and applying permethrin to gear?

Or checking out mesh bug bivies of 6 ozs or so by Borah, Titanium Goat, etc

How about a EPCO Dome or making similar yourself at lighter wt? http://www.epcodesign.com/ss1.html This CAN be an easy MYOG lighter wt project.

What happens to the JRT or son if you want to take them along on such trips? How are they also insect protected?

I use the military surplus bivy and if you arrange it on the side where it overlaps with a small "air hole" it removes 90% of the condensation problem but still offers full protection. It is not the lightest bivy on the market i am sure but it is super rugged and is pretty cheap too.

Quote Originally Posted by Dogwood View Post
    Why do you need a argon top bivy which is what you're referring, customarily a bivy to address splash under a tarp, to address flying biting insects? If you add in a WR bivy(w/ solid top fabric) under the Duomid seems there's redundancy.
    Sure you can carry both the WR solid top fabric bivy and Duomid to gain shelter versatility but can't that defeat the idea of simplicity using all that you're carrying simultaneously?

I have to assume since you splurged getting the DuoMid in cuben you're wt concerned. I'd be careful how you piece together components as the total wt can exceed the wt of a integrated 1.5-2 p tent system.

Throwing a WR solid top fabric bivy into the mix having to zip it up to protect against insects is not just impacting insect pressures and shelter versatilities but also the sleep system and the ability to move around inside the DuoMid. Kinda confining in my mind if I must totally zip up into a solid fabric bivy w/ mesh head area staying inside it under a Duomid just to address insects not wanting to string anything up to keep the mesh off my face assuming you don't want to string up a mesh top bug bivy or hold a bivy hood such as with a mesh window off the face by attaching a guy line to the top/side walls of the Duomid. Have you ever slept in such a bivy under med-heavy insect pressure all zipped up?...in hot humid but wet weather...meaning NOW you also must do so inside the Duomid? I can find it confining more so as the weather gets warmer.

In this regard could adding a perimeter mesh suffice? How about reviewing how some with bug perimeter netting make it work? https://ultralightandcomfortable.com...design-duomid/ Maybe add a 1.? oz head net for those few times you do get into buggy outings and applying permethrin to gear?

Or checking out mesh bug bivies of 6 ozs or so by Borah, Titanium Goat, etc

How about a EPCO Dome or making similar yourself at lighter wt? http://www.epcodesign.com/ss1.html This CAN be an easy MYOG lighter wt project.

What happens to the JRT or son if you want to take them along on such trips? How are they also insect protected?
    I get what your saying.......
    I plan to use the duomid and bivy combo in colder east coast weather or any western trips....if it's going to be warmer with my son I'll use the solong6. The pup burrows inside his zipped up down vest turned into a sleeping bag as he gets cold easily. If it's warmer i.e. Colorado in July at lower elevations I can simply cover him with my wind jacket to keep the skeeters off. The cuben argon Borah bivy is under 4.5 oz vs 6oz for bug bivy. I sleep fairly cold so figured the full. It would add warmth to my 20* quilt and allow use of lighter weight sleep layer cap 2 vs 3,4.....I'm still hoping to do a 22 day CT thru this July....we'll see...I've thought about going with out a bug net and only took duomid with ground sheet but have never spent any time in Co during July so I'm alittle concerned with skeeters as this years heavy snow should probably = heavy bug year?? Thoughts....

Journal Entries
    Images

I plan to tarp camp this summer I previously owned a military bivy. I tried a couple others but they didn't breath at all and made my feet sweat I don't have this issue with the gortex one though. I just snap it closed and it vents well and I can just wear a head net if bugs are too thick.
    Hiking the AT is “pointless.” What life is not “pointless”? Is it not pointless to work paycheck to paycheck just to conform?.....I want to make my life less ordinary. AWOL

You're not wanting to string up a cord to pull the bivy head netting off your face when under the DuoMid which is what your problem was with the STS Nanomesh pyramid ? If so, it can be confining but maybe acceptable in cool weather. BUT, if it's cool weather you're describing for these trips for these anticipated set ups doesn't that in itself dictate lower insect pressure?

Quote Originally Posted by Dogwood View Post
    You're not wanting to string up a cord to pull the bivy head netting off your face when under the DuoMid which is what your problem was with the STS Nanomesh pyramid ? If so, it can be confining but maybe acceptable in cool weather. BUT, if it's cool weather you're describing for these trips for these anticipated set ups doesn't that in itself dictate lower insect pressure?
    On the STS bug pyramid I tied it up top and staked, shock cord on back top and bottom....getting in and out was a pita as you had to pull a stake. Worse part of it was the net would catch on the support trekking pole which would destroy the net in no time....what would your preference be for the duomid for say a July Co thru or section?

++ New Posts ++