WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default Overland Mt Shelter Hang

In my next months section hike, I plan on using a Hennessy Ultra and carry a larger tarp (ENO pro or a Yukon) but was wondering if the actual Shelter is hammock friendly or is that a no no ? Even if it was user friendly. I know some people say screw you and hang where you want, but I am a respectful hiker wanting to treat you the way I want to be treated. Just wondering.

Images

My opinion: if you want to be respectful, you DON'T hang or tent inside a shelter. Who knows what time someone will show up?
    Old Hiker
    AT Hike 2012 - 497 Miles of 2184
    AT Thru Hiker - 29 FEB - 03 OCT 2016 2189.1 miles
    Just because my teeth are showing, does NOT mean I'm smiling.
    Hányszor lennél inkább máshol?

I agree with Old Hiker. It's just bad form to tent or hammock inside a shelter when there is a possibility of others coming later. At the very least if you have your tent pitched or hammock hung in one and someone shows up, you should take it down no questions asked. Asking places the onus on them, when it is your breach of etiquette and not theirs.

I mostly agree. I was just thinking that since it was so large a shelter, as a former barn, space would not be as big of an issue since by June most hikers nobo have passed.

Quote Originally Posted by bayview View Post
    I mostly agree. I was just thinking that since it was so large a shelter, as a former barn, space would not be as big of an issue since by June most hikers nobo have passed.
    I didn't remember at first but now I know the shelter you're talking about from thru-hiker videos, it does look like a huge place as far as shelters go.

Just use good judgment and be prepared to take your hammock down if necessary, in that case. In most cases I would still stand by my original statement. Enjoy your trip!

Springer to Elk Park, NC/Andover to Katahdin
    Images

I stayed there when there were only three of us. I hung in the loft. It was perfect.
    I am not young enough to know everything.

Journal Entries

Do what you want, everyone else does.
    Last edited by MuddyWaters; 04-30-2017 at 20:25.

You are meaning Overmountain shelter. I have stayed there when several people were hanging. There was plenty of space. I was more annoyed by the hiker who came in after dark with his dog and slept next to me. I had to move the dog off of my bag.
    More walking, less talking.

Default Overland Mt Shelter Hang

There are good hammock spots all around this shelter. There is no reason to hang in the loft or the porch.
    You can walk in another person's shoes, but only with your feet

Images

Wise of you to be asking the question and not just doing. Spacing-wise, hammocks can often add space for others, as long as you're not having to step on someone to get in and out. But structure-wise, you never know what you're getting into. Be very careful of the horizontal forces you might be putting on parts of the structure. Most of the structure is supporting vertically, so hanging with a great degree of sag shouldn't be an issue. Not sure how things are in that big barn, though.
    "I wonder if anyone else has an ear so tuned and sharpened as I have, to detect the music, not of the spheres, but of earth, subtleties of major and minor chord that the wind strikes upon the tree branches. Have you ever heard the earth breathe... ?"
    - Kate Chopin

Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by bayview View Post
    Its not
    I seen half dozen tents set up in it at once

Beware the rodents

AT 2012

I've hung there as well. completely not an issue. huge space!!!!
    Lazarus

++ New Posts ++