WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Walmart.com has some

Quote Originally Posted by gracebowen View Post
    Walmart.com has some
    Thanks. I'll take a look.
    Wayne

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Eddie Valiant: "That lame-brain freeway idea could only be cooked up by a toon."
    https://wayne-ayearwithbigfootandbubba.blogspot.com
    FlickrMyBookTwitSpaceFace

Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Venchka View Post
    Thanks everyone.
    I don't do Amazon since they allowed someone to make a charge to my credit card.
    I was hoping there was a supermarket source of dried veggie soup mix or similar.
    If not I'll do one of the backpacking food sources.
    Wayne

Wayne,

Sorry I'm so late for the party but our buddy Dutch has a pretty good collection at his site. Hope you find what you need.
    Last edited by Farr Away; 04-18-2017 at 11:50.
    Blackheart

Chia seeds are the magic fix here! They don't taste like anything or weigh much, are a great source of omega 3 and fiber, and soak up lots of water.

I eat them in my yogurt, but I wouldn't hesitate to put them in anything. You can buy white ones if you don't like having little black seeds in your food.

Something i have always done with ramen and the sort is use extra water to cook it but than before adding any of the flavoring or the sort i will take my fork and use it as a makeshift strainer to reduce the amount of water to a slightly below typical amount. Than i let it sit for mayby 5 minutes than add my flavoring.

Quote Originally Posted by peakbagger View Post
    I buy my veggies from Honeyville and break down the cans into vacuum sealed bags that I throw a couple of oxygen absorbers in.

Be careful that you are looking for dehydrated veggies not dried veggies. The dehydrated veggies rehydrate much better than dried.

http://shop.honeyville.com/freeze-dr...table-mix.html
    I've tried the Harmony house dehydrated veggies. They work best if they soak for several hours before cooking in any other "food". They have soup mixes that are great add ons to rice, or polenta or cous cous.

You can quite easily make your own dehydrated vegetables. Buy a bag of frozen veggies of your liking, rip open bag and either spread on a dehydrator tray or on a cookie sheet for oven dehydrating. Put them on still frozen. Works great and is likely the easiest thing you will ever dehydrate. No washing, no blanching, no cutting, no peeling etc etc.

Quote Originally Posted by JFKinYK View Post
    You can quite easily make your own dehydrated vegetables. Buy a bag of frozen veggies of your liking, rip open bag and either spread on a dehydrator tray or on a cookie sheet for oven dehydrating. Put them on still frozen. Works great and is likely the easiest thing you will ever dehydrate. No washing, no blanching, no cutting, no peeling etc etc.
    I've never done any dehydrating, but I'm intrigued by this idea. So how does oven dehydrating work here? Temperature and time? Is packaging in quart freezer bags good enough? What's the "shelf" life?

Journal Entries

In Praise of Dried Okra

I purchase either dried dried green beans or dried okra from local grocery stores (Krogers and Walmart) to add to my trail dinners of Knorr pasta sides, Knorr rice sides, or mac and cheese. Those dried vegies are marketed as snack foods. Right now I'm munching a few dried "Green Bean Chips" from Walmart. Because they contain some canola oil, but no water, these dried green beans generate a respectable 126 calories per ounce. I use them to add variety, and also some fiber, to my trail diet.

After soaking a handful of dried green beans or dried okra (yummy!) for 10 minutes in my pot with cold water, I then heat that water, including the green beans or okra, to prepare my meal. Recognizing that some water is absorbed by the vegetables, I use slightly more water than package directions specify to make Knorr meals.
    Last edited by Siestita; 05-25-2017 at 05:36.

Journal Entries
    Images

I had dehydrated refried beans with jalapeno flavoring along for my section hike last week. They're a great change up from smashed taters.

Quote Originally Posted by rocketsocks View Post
    Dehydrated bean bark pulverized...that'll tighten up any meal.

Quote Originally Posted by Greenlight View Post
    I had dehydrated refried beans with jalapeno flavoring along for my section hike last week. They're a great change up from smashed taters.
    that's ma favorite thing!

Images

Add 1 TBL corn starch to water to have it boil with food(Ramen). That's what I tried today for lunch, worked great. I cheated a little...added a Thomas, thin bagelUntitled 0 00 03-09.jpg

bagel thins.JPG

Quote Originally Posted by MtDoraDave View Post
    I mentioned this in the General section, but figured it'd be better here.

If you tend to have watery knorr meals like I do, or ramen, or whatever - bring a ziploc bag of instant mashed potatoes so you can add a spoonful or three to your meal to thicken it up!

Will it work for coffee?

Quote Originally Posted by Smithereens View Post
    Will it work for coffee?
    marshmallows!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
++ New Posts ++