WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default Ice ball on gaiter straps?

I don't winter camp very often but I recently hiked up to LeConte Lodge in a snow storm. As the hike went forward, the trail became progressively more icy. At about 5500' the web strap on my gaiters had grown an ice ball that was about the size of a golf ball and which made walking very uncomfortable. I was able to crush the ball of ice somewhat by stomping on a rock and my partner was able to break enough ice off the buckle to loosen the strap enough to pull it back over my heal, so we could continue. The gaiters in question have an about 1" nylon web strap that goes under the boot.

We discussed this with other hikers at the lodge. Some said that gaiters with leather straps tend to avoid collecting ice balls. My partner's gaiters had just a string and didn't develop the problem.

Is there a way to avoid collecting an ice ball on gaiter straps? Something you can coat them with or spray on them?

Garlic
    Images

Next time you can knock it off as it forms by stomping on an exposed rock or downed tree. Eventually that will wear down the strap and then you can get different gaiters.

My first pair of XC skis had a waxless base that would clump up like that. I would carry a small can of silicone spray on wet/freezing days. I don't know if that coating would work on nylon webbing.

Images

I commonly have same problem. Sigh.
    [I]ye shall not pollute the land wherein ye are: ... Defile not therefore the land which ye shall inhabit....[/I]. Numbers 35

[url]www.MeetUp.com/NashvilleBackpacker[/url]

Not sure if it will help but when my horses used to end up with ice balls on their feet we coated the underside of their foot with vegetable oil. It would stop the snow from finding a way to get a hold of the foot.

I've had various gaiters and true, the ones with webbing straps are the worst, leather straps are a bit better, we also have gaiters with a tiny steel cable that works really great.

Journal Entries

I have a lot of luck using wd-40 with web straps. I also coat the leather straps of my OR Bugout Gaiters.
    Blackheart

type of snow/ice seems to matter as well. this also happens with snowshoes, and microspikes on ocassion. it certainly is annoying, but at least there are no bugs.

Images

WD40 or Pam both help to reduce the sticking of snow. used it in Adirondacks.
    .....Someday, like many others who joined WB in the early years, I may dry up and dissapear....

I have also heard of using PAM

I remove the strap. The front lace hook suffices to keep the gaiters in place.
    Lonehiker (MRT '22)

There used to be a reinforced strap used on crampons and early snow shoe bindings. They typically were reddish brown with a layer or rubber on the top and bottom with glass fiber sandwiched in between. I bought a set of the straps at a equipment supplier and slowly have been using it up as gaiter straps as it pretty durable and remarkably resistant to balling. I don't know what to call the stuff as it seems to have been replaced by nylon. .

++ New Posts ++