WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default Slaughter Creek Campsite (Georgia)

Is this campsite on the AT, or is it on the Slaughter Creek Trail? When I hiked the Georgia AT a few years ago, I didn't camp there and didn't take note of it. I'm taking a group of 12 Boy Scouts to hike Woody to Neel and understand Slaughter Creek has a good number of tent spaces and is not far from water. Does anyone know about this campsite?

Thanks so much!!

Jon

Leonidas

It is on the AT .1 mile South from the creek, 8 tent sites. Just a mention, Mar1 - Jun1, hard shell bear canister is required to camp in this section.
    AT: 695.7 mi
    Benton MacKaye Trail '20
    Pinhoti Trail '18-19'
    @leonidasonthetrail https://www.youtube.com/c/LeonidasontheTrail

Thanks! We'll be in the middle of that date range, so we'll have a few on hand.

Check for updates on the water situation as your time gets near. Last time I was there (which has been a while), Slaughter Creek was still dry. We've had quite a lot of rain since, so it may be OK, but it could go dry pretty quickly if the rains stop. Next available water source is Lance Creek, which was flowing well 2 weeks ago, but that's a long walk with a bunch of thirsty Scouts.

Images

Your boys will probably want to pause and gas up at Woods Hole shelter, not too far before SCT.
    "I wonder if anyone else has an ear so tuned and sharpened as I have, to detect the music, not of the spheres, but of earth, subtleties of major and minor chord that the wind strikes upon the tree branches. Have you ever heard the earth breathe... ?"
    - Kate Chopin

Quote Originally Posted by skater View Post
    Check for updates on the water situation as your time gets near. Last time I was there (which has been a while), Slaughter Creek was still dry. We've had quite a lot of rain since, so it may be OK, but it could go dry pretty quickly if the rains stop. Next available water source is Lance Creek, which was flowing well 2 weeks ago, but that's a long walk with a bunch of thirsty Scouts.
    That's very good advice. I'll check the Georgia ATC water site. Thanks very much!!

Thanks for the tip, which makes great sense - I'll have them do that!

Thanks Skater - that is very helpful. I'll probably have everyone fill up on the road to Woods Hole Shelter just in case. Thanks for your advice!
    Jon

Thanks scope - it sounds like that's the safest bet, even with the rains lately. (I'd rather walk .2 off the trail than have to backtrack from SC campsite. Thanks again for your advice!

You'll need bear canisters the if it's before June

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-T337A using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Jonathan W. Jordan View Post
    Is this campsite on the AT, or is it on the Slaughter Creek Trail? When I hiked the Georgia AT a few years ago, I didn't camp there and didn't take note of it. I'm taking a group of 12 Boy Scouts to hike Woody to Neel and understand Slaughter Creek has a good number of tent spaces and is not far from water. Does anyone know about this campsite?

Thanks so much!!

Jon
    I camped there hiking AT between Hightower Gap and Neel's Gap. It is on the south side of Blood Mountain on the AT. The next morning I summited Blood Mountain in less than an hour. Water was close by and not an issue. Had no bear problems but I kept my pack on a line 15 feet off the ground and away from tree trunk. I heard critters at night but nothing bothered me or my stuff. Worst problem were the owls. Several of them seemed to be fighting over territory in the immediate area. They were very loud, sometimes making noises I never heard from owls and they went on most of the night. It is a great site to avoid the crowd of Blood Mountain shelter and to climb up for sunrise views from the top.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

++ New Posts ++