WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
    Journal Entries
    Images

Gardener's kneeling pad: http://www.goo.gl/OOc13S

Quote Originally Posted by ra0094 View Post
    Does anyone have a suggestion for an inexpensive pad for sitting around camp or along the trail? I have heard of folks using pieces of old foam sleeping pads but I would hate to buy a new pad simply to cut it up. Are there other items you have re-purposed for a butt pad?

Journal Entries
    Images

http://www.ebay.com/itm/High-Density...63RJIrwlNPmHZw

Not sure if this would work for you but it is what I use for A sleeping pad and with the scraps I make butt pads.
    Iif not there are some thermarest knock offs on amazon for pretty cheap or you can just use the trusty ol cardboard or scrap piece of tyvek.
    If I die trying now I wont die wondering how life could have turned out.....

Quote Originally Posted by soumodeler View Post
    Same here. Love this thing.
    Yup. Works great.

I sliced open a tyvek mailer for a nice seat/putmycrapthere. Rolled up and held in place with a rubber band.

Does anyone have a suggestion for an inexpensive pad for sitting around camp or along the trail? I have heard of folks using pieces of old foam sleeping pads but I would hate to buy a new pad simply to cut it up. Are there other items you have re-purposed for a butt pad?
    I was able to buy a half piece from a fb group. A guy had tons of brand new, half pieces of sleeping pad for 12 bucks, or 2 for 19. I got 2.
    You could check on ebay for a used zrest, cut it in half and use that. or you could buy a new zrest, cut it in half and and put the second half away for when the first half wears out
    Trail Miles: 4,980.5
    AT Map 1: Complete 2013-2021
    Sheltowee Trace: Complete 2020-2023
    Pinhoti Trail: Complete 2023-2024
    Foothills Trail: 47.9
    AT Map 2: 279.4
    BMT: 52.7
    CDT: 85.4

Leonidas
    AT: 695.7 mi
    Benton MacKaye Trail '20
    Pinhoti Trail '18-19'
    @leonidasonthetrail https://www.youtube.com/c/LeonidasontheTrail

Journal Entries

Default What to sit on in the woods

My husband found an old timey computer mouse pad when an old office was being cleaned out. The kind that does not have the slick shiny pictures or is really foamy. It is invaluable to me. My deluxe item. Packs very accessible. They show up at thrift shops for 25 cents. Pick one that fits your hind side and you will never leave home with out it.

Images

I use something like this:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/3-pc-KNEELIN...-/322074305134

It is a foam pad intended to protect knees while gardening. It is both light as a feather and cheap as dirt. Pretty durable as well.

Sitting around camp? Why not hang out in your shelter atop your sleeping pad? Or carry a complete ccf pad for sleeping and use it anywhere you please (no fear of punctures).

When resting on the trail by my pack I either sit on the ground against my pack or throw my crocs on the ground and sit on them. Crocs make a great sit pad.

Quote Originally Posted by Tipi Walter View Post
    Sitting around camp? Why not hang out in your shelter atop your sleeping pad? Or carry a complete ccf pad for sleeping and use it anywhere you please (no fear of punctures).

When resting on the trail by my pack I either sit on the ground against my pack or throw my crocs on the ground and sit on them. Crocs make a great sit pad.
    Most of us would rather be outside enjoying the surroundings or other people's company than sitting or laying in our shelters, weather permitting. Since you insist on carrying an inflatable and a ccf pad, it makes since for you to use the ccf pad as a sitting pad. Since most of us who carry inflatables don't carry redundant ccf pads and certainly not full length ones, a separate, lighter pad makes perfect sense. Some people hike in trail runners because their light weight packs allow them too and don't view camp shoes as necessary

Quote Originally Posted by JC13 View Post
    Hard to beat $2 shipped for something new. My personal butt pad is an ancient 1/4" Ensolite rectangle that's 17" x 19"; 89 grams. At night it goes under my full-length CCF sleeping pad for a bit of extra hip cushioning. I think it was cut down from a ripped-up sleeping pad, and was then gifted to me when my grad school housemate moved to Germany and needed to reduce his possessions. Old and shabby but FREE appeals to my frugal nature.

Journal Entries

I use the same 2oz piece of evazote ccf that goes under my lower legs at night. Carried rolled up on top of pack under top strap

Quote Originally Posted by Hosh View Post
    Most of us would rather be outside enjoying the surroundings or other people's company than sitting or laying in our shelters, weather permitting. Since you insist on carrying an inflatable and a ccf pad, it makes since for you to use the ccf pad as a sitting pad. Since most of us who carry inflatables don't carry redundant ccf pads and certainly not full length ones, a separate, lighter pad makes perfect sense. Some people hike in trail runners because their light weight packs allow them too and don't view camp shoes as necessary
    Camp shoes also double as creek crossing shoes---vital on winter trips.

For 30 years I never used camp shoes or crocs . . . and I never used hiking poles. But both have their advantages and are now part of my standard load.

Plus, many winter backpackers (if they're smart) carry both an inflatable pad along with a ccf pad---augments the R value of the inflatable and in an emergency inflatable blowout offers survivable nights on the ccf.

The purpose of my croc campshoes (other than creek crossings) is to take off my hiking boots after a long day of humpage when they could be both soaked and muddy---and place them in my tent vestibule and are never seen again until the next morning---thereby using my dry, clean crocs for everything in camp. Using your boots or trail runners in camp means you have to put on your wet socks everytime when you need to walk around camp---if your hiking shoes are wet. Otherwise your clean dry sleeping socks get compromised inside the possibly soaked trail runners and/or boots.

Plus, crocs can be used as a sit pad when resting next to your pack on the trail---especially on muddy ground or in the snow.

Quote Originally Posted by loguon_theguy View Post
    These are fantastic. Shipping will take a a few weeks though coming from China.

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/Outd...608.0.0.jh5YuM
    I concur! I ordered several at once. Weigh less than an ounce.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

I really like my Arrowhead Equipment foot pad that I use as a sit pad.

I have the 1/8" pad and it weighs 16.6 g or 0.6 oz
    I also have the 1/4" and it weight 31.1 g or 1.1 oz

These pads can serve a couple of different purposes in your pack, but they are light and also BIG enough to just carry as a sit pad. I really find the 1/8" to be enough for me.

http://www.arrowhead-equipment.com/s...Foot_Pad_.html

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Images

I found a beat up,discarded purple closed cell foam pad at Neels Gap. Cut about 2.5 feet off it and it worked for almost 1000 miles before having too many punctures, tears, etc. to work any further. It was long enough to put against a tree and sit back against. It rolled up fairly small and was attached to the outside of my pack.

Found ANOTHER beat up, discarded foam pad right around the time Ol' Purple died and did the same. Used it to the end. It was also getting to the end of a useful life, so it worked out as well.

CCF would be my choice for cold, wet sitting. I also laid the pad down in my vestibule for getting into/out of my tent, used it for a wind break when my fly was up (SoLong 6) for ventilation but the wind was whipping, fire enhancer a couple of times, cut 1 inch square pieces off to stop equipment squeaking, etc. etc. etc.
    Old Hiker
    AT Hike 2012 - 497 Miles of 2184
    AT Thru Hiker - 29 FEB - 03 OCT 2016 2189.1 miles
    Just because my teeth are showing, does NOT mean I'm smiling.
    Hányszor lennél inkább máshol?

Journal Entries

Here's one you can check out $4.00 and only 1 oz.
    Blackheart

Images

I just cut a square off of an old closed cell sleeping pad. Have used the same one now for 1500+ miles. Someone asked me what my favorite piece of gear was... I said my sit pad and got a funny look, but it really is. I can't see not having one. After years of backpacking I have walked my a$$ off so I need a little cushion.

Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by LongBlaze2019 View Post
    Buy a cheap yoga mat and cut it to size.

Sent from my LGLS775 using Tapatalk

Uh far to too heavy and $$$ I did check that out when Walmart and others stopped selling blue closed foam.. its back in stores now and Reflectix is lighter but not as flexible - still a true winner. found a Thermarest in Walmart for the granddaughter at $15 but it was the last one.

Also it doubles as a shoulder pad in the hammock at night to stop the wind, closed cell foam is wonderful to stop cold spots even when well pitched.
    Last edited by Wise Old Owl; 04-24-2017 at 01:08.
    Dogs are excellent judges of character, this fact goes a long way toward explaining why some people don't like being around them.

Woo

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
++ New Posts ++