WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Offshore View Post
    And to those who would ask what they could have done better - they could have made it with a better design or material to avoid the defect in the first place, but
    The point of ultra-light gear is that the manufacturers explicitly don't make things with a design sturdy enough for heavy wear. You save weight at the cost of known fragility. Personally, getting that close to the edge of failure isn't for me. I'll go lightweight, but not ultra-lightweight.

My ArcBlast had the stay problem. This was a known design flaw that they had to fix on many packs. Mine lasted until PA before giving out and I didn't meet anybody whose this didn't happen to. The responded quickly and got it taken care of. My pack also had the hip belt give out. I'm assuming this was a design issue as well because the new one they sent was changed to prevent what had happened to mine. My Duplex also had an issue that I didn't address until after my thru. They repaired it and sent it back to me. Z-Packs is a great company that works very hard to keep the customer hiking. I'm still not sure why they don't have a phone for customer support as it probably frightens some off. It all worked out fine for me though.

My Arc Blast also had the stay issue and they mailed me a completely new replacement pack that day. I mailed the broken one back at my convenience, even re-used the box they sent the replacement in. Doesn't get much better than that.

Wow - what a customer-focused solution. mail it in, have it repaired and wait for them to mail it back. That's convenient - hope you weren't on a trip when it happened...
    How is that unusual? Sometimes, prolly more often than not, gear can be repaired...particularly fair when UL/SUL gear has obviously been used, purchased more than ?? days ago or date purchased can't be verified, and has who knows how many days on it but still has useful life once repairs have been completed. It's unfair to always expect a free to the customer replacement under this scenario. I don't think cottage industry manufacturers should always stop the presses making a repair a priority because one is on trail either although most do try to accommodate those in such situations. Free to the customer loaner gear is also an unreasonable expectation considering manufacturers like Zpacks are vending UL and SUL gear.

...not holding them up to the same standards of product quality...
    One of the primary reasons why customers specifically purchase UL/SUL cottage gear is because it is of not the same standards of product quality as conventional heavier gear. Again and again UL cottage gear manufacturers specifically alert their markets of the limitations of use of their products. If this is going to be ignored by the consumer how does that not reflect more on the consumer and less on the manufacturer?

...And to those who would ask what they could have done better - they could have made it with a better design or material to avoid the defect in the first place, but once such an obvious defect manifested iteslf, shipped a replacement with a prepaid return label (after getting a credit card number to ensure a return of the defective pack) - just like larger manufacturers and retailers..
    Yeah, they could have made it "better", , (perfect?), what ever that means, but can't we say that about the releases of various Windows Versions Microsoft released knowing there were still bugs to be figured out which were improved upon and rectified as needed after the release or an infinite other examples?

Since when do larger outdoor gear manufacturers and retailers always freely replace stuff? That has not been my experiences.

Definitely not an apologists for the UL cottage gear manufacturers. No need to make excuses for anyone but will try to understand various situations that lead to fair resolutions.

Quote Originally Posted by Dogwood View Post
    How is that unusual? Sometimes, prolly more often than not, gear can be repaired...particularly fair when UL/SUL gear has obviously been used, purchased more than ?? days ago or date purchased can't be verified, and has who knows how many days on it but still has useful life once repairs have been completed. It's unfair to always expect a free to the customer replacement under this scenario. I don't think cottage industry manufacturers should always stop the presses making a repair a priority because one is on trail either although most do try to accommodate those in such situations. Free to the customer loaner gear is also an unreasonable expectation considering manufacturers like Zpacks are vending UL and SUL gear.

One of the primary reasons why customers specifically purchase UL/SUL cottage gear is because it is of not the same standards of product quality as conventional heavier gear. Again and again UL cottage gear manufacturers specifically alert their markets of the limitations of use of their products. If this is going to be ignored by the consumer how does that not reflect more on the consumer and less on the manufacturer?

Yeah, they could have made it "better", , (perfect?), what ever that means, but can't we say that about the releases of various Windows Versions Microsoft released knowing there were still bugs to be figured out which were improved upon and rectified as needed after the release or an infinite other examples?

Since when do larger outdoor gear manufacturers and retailers always freely replace stuff? That has not been my experiences.

Definitely not an apologists for the UL cottage gear manufacturers. No need to make excuses for anyone but will try to understand various situations that lead to fair resolutions.
    Said better than I could and agree 100%

another +1 for Dogwood's response

Kinda funny how the thread title was meant to mean one thing, and yet has become applicable to the OP...karma???

...thread title on the main board that is.

Springer to Elk Park, NC/Andover to Katahdin
    Images

I purchase my first Zpacks item about 10 years ago before cuben fiber. I have dealt wiith them alots since then. Joe has been nothing but excellent in his customer service with me.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    I am not young enough to know everything.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by clusterone View Post
    Posted this in another thread but thought I should re-post here also.

Quote Originally Posted:

This happened just this last weekend....That is the stay protruding through the straps that are supposed to retain it. This is a 1year old Zpacks Arc Haul. I have contacted Zpacks(yesterday), awaiting a reply. Click image for larger version.

Attachment 39028

UPDATE -- Zpacks responded within 24h. They apologized, and said they would repair the pack, just mail it to them!
    UPDATE2 -- Pack repaired or replaced, not sure yet, but is already on the way back to me! ETA, next Tuesday. Just hope the "repair" is is solid as the support!

Images

UPDATE 3 - Pack is back in my hands! Could not expect a faster turn-around. The repair work is amazing. Entirely new design for how the mesh attaches and is tightened. The poles feels like they are now capped, and designed to distribute the load across the entire strap/ now sleeve. They updated all four attachment points , and included a new mesh back with new hardware.

TWO THUMBS UP FOR ZPACKS!

BEFORE:IMAG0782.jpg AFTER: IMAG0826.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by clusterone View Post
    UPDATE2 -- Pack repaired or replaced, not sure yet, but is already on the way back to me! ETA, next Tuesday. Just hope the "repair" is is solid as the support!
    Last edited by Farr Away; 04-25-2017 at 13:33.

I have hand nothing but excellent experiences with Zpacks (products and service). More than once they have returned a weekend e-mail inquiry on the same day. My orders usually arrive faster than promised.

Journal Entries

I ordered a hexamid tent from them once with screen decided I wanted the bigger version they allowed me to send it back and accidentally sent me the tarp and not the tent with a screen. A week beforeIi had to leave I sent that back and got my tent the day before i left. Their customer service is great IMO love their gear and customer service.

deleted due to harassing messages sent and emailed
    Last edited by Trail Lady; 12-29-2018 at 23:37.

Quote Originally Posted by Artemis on the Trail View Post
    I did not have a great experience with their customer service BEFORE I had a youtube following.
    None the less their products do appear on my gear listing for the 2019 AT thru hike on The Trek.
    Are you implying that you had bad service before your youtube fame and now you get special treatment?

I always have had great service and products from zpacks. I have to use great restraint from buying multiple tents and packs from them.

Quote Originally Posted by Maineiac64 View Post
    Are you implying that you had bad service before your youtube fame and now you get special treatment?

I always have had great service and products from zpacks. I have to use great restraint from buying multiple tents and packs from them.
    I think it’s just to promote her channel TBH. Why else dig up a 1.5 year old post just to link to it?

Quote Originally Posted by Gambit McCrae View Post
    We cant forget the guy that ordered a cuben fiber product from Zpacks and took a knife to the box. Then upset at zpacks when he cut his cuben fiber lol
    LOL! I think about that every time I get something in the mail that could accidentally be cut while opening.If I can pull the packaging open with the hands I do,otherwise surgical precision with a blade or scissors.
    On the other hand,shippers should send their products in a package that gives the recipient a little leeway for opening...............

Need to add that Santa did bring me a Zpacks Multi Pack for use as a brain or a front pack to hold the major essentials like a map,water filter,and a couple of Evernew bags.Great item and the service was fine considering I waited until almost Christmas before ordering.
    Last edited by Five Tango; 12-27-2018 at 09:07.

Quote Originally Posted by Maineiac64 View Post

LiteAF should be very afraid. Imagine the righteous vengeance that will be unleashed when it is discovered that 85 liters of stuff won't fit into a 40 liter pack.

For the weight, zPacks gear is very robust, in my opinion. My Hexamid Tent has lasted many years and hundreds of nights, definitely surpassing the claimed lifespan of one thru hike. Like others have said, you make the explicit tradeoff between weight and durability but with some care, durability can be pretty good. I've owned a number of zPacks products including the tent and a sleeping bag. I received great customer service on both. I sent my tent back once for a screen/zipper repair and they didn't charge anything (this was when the tent was already two years old). And they replaced my sleeping bag when I wanted to change from 20F to 10F after I had used the bag one night in cold conditions and realized I wanted something warmer. They only charged me the difference in price for the 10F. They didn't have to do any of that. I've ordered and returned their packs which don't work as well for me as ULA packs. If you want bombproof packs at just somewhat more weight, check out ULA. If I have any "criticism" of zPacks it is that they have eliminated products I like such as the Hexamid Twin but any business has the right to decide what to offer. They've obviously decided to standardize on more mainstream tents so they can mass produce efficiently. Still, I miss the earlier "custom" days of zPacks.

Quote Originally Posted by Trail Lady View Post
    deleted due to harassing messages sent and emailed
    I saw your YT video regarding the shoddy tent construction and thought you had valid points, but never cross the queen bees of WB.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
++ New Posts ++