WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Trail Magic - Max Patch - April 15th weekend

If any NOBOs are reading this, I will be providing trail magic on Max Patch during Easter weekend (Sat/Sun). Burgers, chicken, dogs, cookies, klondike's, charging stations, etc.

Will be there rain or shine.

Blue Sky
    NOBO '16

Charging Stations!?!? WOW... you may get trail magic person of the year!! any filets or lobster??
    "Reach Farther" ~ SOLACE

nothing magical about it

Quote Originally Posted by Lone Wolf View Post
    nothing magical about it
    Amen!

This is just a hiker feed/handout.
    The older I get, the faster I hiked.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Ankle Bone View Post
    Amen!

This is just a hiker feed/handout.
    So, is there some movement among the WB community to take away the age-old term "trail magic" ????????? It's just a phrase, and can be as modest as a jug of water along a dry stretch of trail. Despite the Extreme Wisdom of LW, I think even He will not affect the use of the classic moniker: "Trail Magic".

Quote Originally Posted by colorado_rob View Post
    So, is there some movement among the WB community to take away the age-old term "trail magic" ????????? It's just a phrase, and can be as modest as a jug of water along a dry stretch of trail. Despite the Extreme Wisdom of LW, I think even He will not affect the use of the classic moniker: "Trail Magic".
    It's not hard to distinguish between the original definition of trail magic and the new hiker feed/handout craze.

Totally different things.

Trail Magic will live on; but it's not a guy at a road crossing with pizza and Pepsi
    The older I get, the faster I hiked.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Ankle Bone View Post
    It's not hard to distinguish between the original definition of trail magic and the new hiker feed/handout craze.

Totally different things.

Trail Magic will live on; but it's not a guy at a road crossing with pizza and Pepsi
    I guess it's just semantics, but I see your point, the feed thing has really gotten kinda crazy. Still, when I'm hiking along a big hike and I cross a road and there's food of any sort, it all feels kinda magical to me! Especially pizza and a frosty beverage. Magical!

I'm still at a loss on the alleged "damage" at Max Patch... a few years ago some clown did donuts or something on the grassy areas, but it looks OK to me these days, and I was just there.

Wanna-be hiker trash
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by colorado_rob View Post
    It is quite clear that the meaning of the term has changed significantly over time. Twenty years ago Trail Magic was used to describe those acts of chance and serendipity that seem to happen so often on the trail when you need them most. I have no problem with planned hiker feeds, but they certainly don't fit in that category.

Now that said, I don't have much if a horse in this race. It's clear that the majority of hikers now use the term to described feeds and preplanned activities and I'm not going to lose any sleep over it. I only wish that someone would finally go ahead and hire a magician as entertainment for their feed, I think that would settle the issue once and for all.
    Colorless green ideas sleep furiously.

Getting out as much as I can..which is never enough. :) Mags's Avatar

Not sure if you are schlepping it all in to Max Patch itself? Perhaps an access road just after or just before may be a better place.

https://www.appalachiantrail.org/doc...rail-magic.pdf
    Paul "Mags" Magnanti
    http://pmags.com
    Twitter: @pmagsco
    Facebook: pmagsblog

The true harvest of my life is intangible...a little stardust caught,a portion of the rainbow I have clutched -Thoreau

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Mags View Post
    Not sure if you are schlepping it all in to Max Patch itself? Perhaps an access road just after or just before may be a better place.

https://www.appalachiantrail.org/doc...rail-magic.pdf
    There is a parking lot at Max Patch.
    I love the smell of esbit in the morning!

Getting out as much as I can..which is never enough. :) Mags's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Lugnut View Post
    There is a parking lot at Max Patch.
    Yes there is. But is an iconic summit of the Southeast Appalachians the best place to stage trail magic versus an access road before or after the summit area?

Everyone has the right to pass on trail magic. But by putting the trail magic right at the summit, or close enough, of a well-known mountain, a choice of sorts is being forced.

Here's one idea:

max-patch.JPG
    Last edited by Mags; 04-10-2017 at 11:54.
    Paul "Mags" Magnanti
    http://pmags.com
    Twitter: @pmagsco
    Facebook: pmagsblog

The true harvest of my life is intangible...a little stardust caught,a portion of the rainbow I have clutched -Thoreau

"Locate events in developed areas on durable surfaces. Large gatherings in the backcountry can lead to trampling of plants, soil compaction, and disturbance of wildlife habitat. Trail towns and local parks are better locations. Keep events small. Consider whether your event may be contributing to an overabundance of trail feeds in the local area or region. Some hikers come to the Trail to seek solitude and contemplation."
    Teej

"[ATers] represent three percent of our use and about twenty percent of our effort," retired Baxter Park Director Jensen Bissell.

Journal Entries

Great article Mags.
    Blackheart

where i am now, which might not be where i am tomorrow

Quote Originally Posted by palmettoheel View Post
    If any NOBOs are reading this, I will be providing trail magic on Max Patch during Easter weekend (Sat/Sun). Burgers, chicken, dogs, cookies, klondike's, charging stations, etc.

Blue Sky
    NOBO '16
    super cool! you may want to consider some veggie options for burgers and dogs as a large % of thru hikers are veggies!

Quote Originally Posted by palmettoheel View Post

Blue Sky
    NOBO '16
    ON max patch itself? not cool. there or the parking lot. move a few miles north to lemon gap

Images

About as dignified as playing paintball in a cemetery. Some places are special, just because they are.

I could not agree with this MORE!!!! Many places on the A.T. are to left alone.. they are not designed for "Trail Magic" .. which, in my opinion.. is not MAGIC anymore.. its just a free feed with ALOT of self entitled hikers who get upset when thier is no cheese for the cheeseburgers.. or no VEGAN options.. good lord!! Its just out of hand... the new classes.. have it WAYYYY to easy..... People mean well Yes.... but.... Hikers should NOT have freee food and crap every day for teh first 4oo miles!!!
    "Reach Farther" ~ SOLACE

Quote Originally Posted by solace View Post
    I could not agree with this MORE!!!! Many places on the A.T. are to left alone.. they are not designed for "Trail Magic" .. which, in my opinion.. is not MAGIC anymore.. its just a free feed with ALOT of self entitled hikers who get upset when thier is no cheese for the cheeseburgers.. or no VEGAN options.. good lord!! Its just out of hand... the new classes.. have it WAYYYY to easy..... People mean well Yes.... but.... Hikers should NOT have freee food and crap every day for teh first 4oo miles!!!
    Why not?

Seriously. Why not? And, what is it to you whether it is there or not?

Quote Originally Posted by solace View Post
    Agreed. It's not that hard.

I ended up speed hiking (for me) over Max Patch last year due to the crowds, noise, views of powerlines, parking lots, etc. The place has been "loved" to death.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast
++ New Posts ++