WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Favorite trail running/speed hiking shoes?

I've been stuck buying the same shoes for a long time now and would love to get some ideas for other models. My personal favorites are the Salomon Speedcross 3 or Crossfell. I love the lugs and grip that they have.

What are your favorites and why?

Images

I'm currently experimenting with Asics Gel Venture 5 trail running shoes. They are very inexpensive and feel really good on my feet. Amazon currently has these for $44.95 with free shipping. At this price, if a pair wore out on the trail, it would be cost efficient to have a pair overnight shipped by Amazon to a post office along the way. I currently have about 400 miles on a pair with city walking and light trail walking, but I like what I'm seeing so far. The construction and comfort are excellent. I use blue Superfeet in them. I like the shoes sized up one size on my feet. Also, they will form to your foot really nicely after about 20 to 40 miles of walking. My new/unworn pair of men's size 13 without insoles are weighing in at 12.8 oz. per shoe. My older pair is weighing in at 12.3 oz with about 400 miles on them. Links to Amazon and a shoe review are below. Happy feet...Happy Hiking!!!

https://www.amazon.com/ASICS-Venture...2B5&th=1&psc=1

https://runrepeat.com/ranking/rankin...-running-shoes

I have an older pair of Hoka One One's (thrift store find) that I really like for the trail- lightweight and very cushy!

Images

I've been using New Balance spike-less cross country shoes. LOVE them, but they don't last more than 50 miles. Looking at the NB Minimus next or a different brand of spike-less CC shoes.

I love the same shoes....they just fit my feet so well. I wanted a slightly less aggressive tread since I tear the lugs off so fast and decided to try the Speedcross Vario. They fit the same but have more lugs so less tearing of them against rocks and other non-forgiving stuff.

Why trade a good thing that works for you?

Images

Altra Lone Peaks and Superiors because of the huge toe box.
    enemy of unnecessary but innovative trail invention gadgetry

Quote Originally Posted by JamesHenryTrotter View Post
    I've been using New Balance spike-less cross country shoes. LOVE them, but they don't last more than 50 miles. Looking at the NB Minimus next or a different brand of spike-less CC shoes.
    I've been using the Minimus for years, love them. I'm considering the Merril Trail Glove, looks like a slightly more durable tread.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Altra Lone Peaks and Topo Athletic Runventures, Terraventures and MT-2's. for the obvious reasons, wide toe box, zero drop or low drop offset.
    Termite fart so much they are responsible for 3% of global methane emissions.

Recently bought the Salomon Speedcross 4. Feels very comfortable but slightly slippy in heel section. I'll either get blisters or float like a bee.

IMG_0051.JPG

La sportiva wildcats original.
    The 2.0 goretex versions are way too hot and heavy.

Currently run Saucony Xodus Iso, before that was Mizuno Waves. Before that was Salomon Sense Pro Trails. The Mizunos were my favorite out of that group, but all three were pretty solid shoes.

The Xodus's second voyage was a 52mi run/hike on the Sheltowee Trace. Other than a small blister they performed very well.

Brooks Cascadia, with the blue Superfeet insoles

Images

I seem to have good luck with Saucony Excursion. There latest version is "TR9".

https://www.dickssportinggoods.com/p...ApPRoCoufw_wcB

I wear them around town, to work, and while hiking.

Images

i have solomon speedcross 3 which are great but after 1 season i realize they are a bit too small so at the REI garage sale i scored a paid of La Sportivas in a larger size and I tested them out yesterday and I am in love. $65 cause they were too small for the last guy!
    Doin' the trail one section at a time
    You can read about my adventures at
    http://happyonthetrails.wordpress.com/

Images

i honestly don't know what the model is called, they're very colorful though and feel amazing, no superfeet needed!

Images

i think they are these. https://www.moosejaw.com/moosejaw/sh...FdlMDQod5MYEhg BUSHIDO...

I've been using Brooks Cascadias (8 & 9) for the last few years but I recently got a pair of Altra Lone Peak 3.0 on clearance at REI (of course! ) and darn if I don't like them a lot. I've worn them only about 40 miles thus far, although 25 of those miles were a pretty decent test in the Pharaoh Wilderness in the Daks. I thought I'd get some toe bang on the downhills because of the wide toe box but this proved not to be a problem even though I was wearing them rather loosely laced (Clelland fanboy-ism shining through). I think this is because the overall forefoot volume matches my feet very well so the pressure is spread very evenly.

I've been in Brooks Cascadias for at least a decade, they've usually served me well. Recent models have seemed significantly more narrow in the toebox - have the Cascadia 11, the 12 just came out I haven't tried it yet. I may try their Mazama if it sticks in their lineup.

I got a pair of the Hoka Speed Instincts to try, used them on Sunday. They seemed fine, only (minor) issue for me is they fit a little looser than I'm used to. Thicker socks didn't take up the volume.

Hoka One One Stinson3ATR. Maximal stack, good grip, loves a fast stride. Not so stable on traverses, but that comes with the max stack...also...maybe not so durable...after 100 miles they are definitely showing signs of wear...but oh so comfortable...like hiking on pillows...

Kinda....

YMMV...

Altra Olympus. Let's my squatch feet splay. I like the cush. It doesn't flatten out as so quickly as many trail runners do.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++