WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by ggreaves View Post
    The OP covered it before. He's an aspiring hammock guy but wants a tent for above treeline camping (and will have to live with the condensation).
    You're right, I missed that post.

I was once an "aspiring" hammock guy... had pretty much the same outlook with regard to "treeless" campsites (as well as cold weather). Over time, I would get out in these spots and I'd realize, "well, gee, I coulda hung here". As a result, I'm not "aspiring" anymore.

Unless you're going to one of those REI ad spots where it looks like you could roll over and off a cliff, there are truly few spots where you can't hang. In those times, the hammock can become a bivy and you can tarp tent. Not saying there isn't some validity to the OPs viewpoint on his needs, only he can say what they are, but I also know how those "needs" can come to be in the mind.
    "I wonder if anyone else has an ear so tuned and sharpened as I have, to detect the music, not of the spheres, but of earth, subtleties of major and minor chord that the wind strikes upon the tree branches. Have you ever heard the earth breathe... ?"
    - Kate Chopin

I love my LHG Solong but recently bought a cuben duomid to shave off over a lb both entirely different and have positives and negatives....if worried about a cuben floor the duomid is worth a look simply use a piece of cheap tyvek or poly....the sil floor of my Solong has had lots of use with my jack Russell and not an issue.....both of these have sustained severe weather without issues or leaks other than typical east coast condensation. I always put my wind or rain jack zipped up over the foot box of my quilt like a condom for that extra protection!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My first hiking tent was the Tarptent Squall 2, the predecessor to the MoTrail. It weighed only 34 oz, and room for two or lots of room for stuff next to me on either side. But I don't care for the "beak" vestibule. For me, it isn't ideal. Also, if not pitched perfectly, the rain can sometimes ride down the side of the tent onto the screen that runs the perimeter of the tent, and puddle slightly inside from wicking through the screen/mesh. The other thing about it I don't care for - but MANY other tents have this same issue, is that you have to scoot back to the front entry door to be able to sit up inside it. It is also a single wall, and the "misting" some people talk about, I believe, is condensation on the inside being knocked off by big fat rain drops hitting the outside.

I borrowed a Notch for my last section hike. It is smaller inside than I'm used to, but big enough. Setup is super fast. Only 4 stakes required for standard pitch. Vestibules are low enough to keep everything stored under them to remain dry during rains. The guy I borrowed it from says he's never had one drop get inside during any of the rains he's camped through.

I looked online at the Solong 6 by Lightheart Gear, and iirc, the only thing that turned me off was the piece of metal that gets inserted in the apex prior to pitching... I wondered if it could be left in and just roll up the tent without removing it - but doing so may damage the tent, causing leaks. Inserting one piece of metal would certainly take less time than assembling and inserting the pole in the foot of my Squall 2, but the Notch is SO fast to set up; no poles to assemble, no parts to insert. You don't even have to take the time to figure out which side is the entry side, because it's the same on either side. Normally an extra minute or even an extra 10 seconds are a non-issue. If you are in a hurry, why are you walking? But in the rain, the time it takes to set up a tent is a big deal. - and there will be times when you have to set up your tent when it is raining.
    I hope I'm not providing disinformation about the LHG product. The owner seems to be awesome, and many people are completely happy with her products and service. If I am mistaken, I apologize, and I have no doubt I will be corrected.

The "metal" piece is plastic tubing.
    Wayne

Eddie Valiant: "That lame-brain freeway idea could only be cooked up by a toon."
    https://wayne-ayearwithbigfootandbubba.blogspot.com
    FlickrMyBookTwitSpaceFace

Can it be left in place and rolled up with the tent?

Quote Originally Posted by MtDoraDave View Post
    I don't know. Ask Judy or watch a few videos. I'm sure the answer is online somewhere. Saltysack here on WhiteBlaze will know.
    Wayne

Eddie Valiant: "That lame-brain freeway idea could only be cooked up by a toon."
    https://wayne-ayearwithbigfootandbubba.blogspot.com
    FlickrMyBookTwitSpaceFace

Quote Originally Posted by MtDoraDave View Post
    Yea but no reason...takes no time to remove and goes in stuff sack much easier and faster without it. i simply slide it out without fooling with the Velcro...I remove and slide in stuff sack after the tent...for first few uses I fought trying to get into the stock stuff sack until I did as Judy recommended....very simple...great shelter very fast and simple to set up...highly recommended it.

As Wayne said it's a simple piece of plastic tubing not metal...

Also the awning is huge....as the TT you can enter either side but I prefer the non awning side so the awning stays intact....I'm just a weekend warrior but my Solong has been used for about 1,000 miles and is still like new and don't use a ground cloth.....It has been used on the jmt, fht, collegiate loop, 400+\~ miles on the AT as well as several Sup expedition races through glades and 10k islands.......if you end up buying a Solong I have an few sections of Easton carbon poles I'll give ya for the awning pole if you want it......

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4
++ New Posts ++