WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

I have a ten year old Tarptent Rainbow, still using it, still good as new.

I can't imagine any tent faster or easier to set up. (I've owned many...) It has exactly one pole. It isn't freestanding but with a grand total of six stakes, that's not an issue for me.

It's a complete bug-proof shelter, with floor tub, large front door and excellent ventilation. It's single-walled, so condensation is an occasional issue. It's not the driest (dryest?) tent I've ever used. But at 32 oz. carrying weight, it's about the lightest. It's the solo model, but very roomy.

Quote Originally Posted by Arc-Niner View Post
    Franco, that is impressive how your Notch retained its taut pitch in those conditions! That certainly keeps it towards the top of my list!
    I have owned and re-sold 3 tarp tents. Henry Shires is a fine designer, a good business man and a reputable manufacturer. Multiple reasons, but Tarptents weren't for me.
    Franco is a former or current employee, sub-contractor, representative or whatever of Tarptent. He doesn't disclose his relationship in his post as have many other representatives in WB.

So, a grain of salt.

Quote Originally Posted by Hosh View Post
    I have owned and re-sold 3 tarp tents. Henry Shires is a fine designer, a good business man and a reputable manufacturer. Multiple reasons, but Tarptents weren't for me.
    Hosh, what did you replace the Tarptents with?

Yes I am with Tarptent ,in a very part time position, simply because I do know and use the product.
    I had been posting for years when Henry thought of giving me a position within his business.
    I did disclose that at the time and most of the times I do remember to add my franco@tarptent kind of signature but for got in this case.
    Not that it has ever been a secret and regardless my comments remain true as a user of the product.

Franco is a former or current employee, sub-contractor, representative or whatever of Tarptent. He doesn't disclose his relationship in his post as have many other representatives in WB.

So, a grain of salt.
    Absolutely my same feelings. I've owned and sold two Tarptent products.

Quote Originally Posted by daddytwosticks View Post
    Absolutely my same feelings. I've owned and sold two Tarptent products.
    Don't be coy. Tell us why.

Quote Originally Posted by rafe View Post
    My thoughts exactly -- and what do you use now?

Last year I was on a 4 day hike with a buddy. He had a new REI self standing dome style tent. I have a TT Notch. We both started pitching at the same time. When I was done he was still assembling his complex pole system. I was watching him work with the long skinny arching poles and thought "what would he do if one of these broke". If I snap or lose a trekking pole, I can still pitch my tent using a 115 cm stick, that is assuming I can find a stick in the woods. I always try to have contingency plans for critical gear.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Odd Man Out View Post
    Last year I was on a 4 day hike with a buddy. He had a new REI self standing dome style tent. I have a TT Notch. We both started pitching at the same time. When I was done he was still assembling his complex pole system. I was watching him work with the long skinny arching poles and thought "what would he do if one of these broke". If I snap or lose a trekking pole, I can still pitch my tent using a 115 cm stick, that is assuming I can find a stick in the woods. I always try to have contingency plans for critical gear.
    He'd probably use the pole repair splint that comes with the tent. Just a guess though. No tent or shelter system is foolproof. What would you do if you found your stakes inadequate for holding? Probably use a stick or rock. A non-free standing tent is just as dependent on anchoring as a free standing one is on poles, so the user improvises until a permanent repair or replacement can be made. I'd add that the most common tent failures tend to be zippers and seam leaks, which isn't unique to any particular type.

Hosh, what did you replace the Tarptents with?
    I am a biased BA fan, tents & pads.

I have a Copper Spur UL4, CS UL3 and CS UL1. The UL 4 & 3 were bought on SteepandCheap at a 50+% discount when they switched out the designs to lessen the weight by 3 or 4 ounces. I like the designs, entry/exit, fast fly option, color, and reliability of the tents (I used "bomb proof" once and some Hilleberg user went ape sheet). They have served well above treeline in high winds, hail and sleet. Once at a RMNP BC designated site, a flash thunder/hail storm deposited 2" of standing water. The tent didn't leak a bit.

Thankfully there are hundreds of options and tens of thousands of opinions. I bought at a great price point and feel that they are an excellent value.

Tarptent has many good features and many loyal owners. I did think as a "new" poster, you should know Franco's biases.

I've gone through multitudes of tents, and for backpacking I have found the Lightheart Gear is my favorite tent. It uses trekking poles, but under most normal conditions in most of the world you don't need something like a Hilleberg. I have a Hilleberg Soulo and it rarely gets used. You can add shock cord to the guy outs and it will keep the fly from any sagging, worthwhile in my opinion. On that note- I like cuben fiber for tarps but not a fan of them for tents.

Quote Originally Posted by rafe View Post
    They were quality products. I owned a Notch and one of his earlier one-man products. I just hated the fiddle factor of setting them up. That and the saggy pitch of silnylon and how it gets worse when it is damp or rained on. Plus, dealing with being exposed to the condensation due to the single wall construction. I went back to a conventional double-wall tent. I am using a MSR Hubba NX-1 right now. Love the ease of set up and it being almost free standing. Very bomb proof and only about a pound greater than my old Notch.

Quote Originally Posted by eggymane View Post
    On that note- I like cuben fiber for tarps but not a fan of them for tents.
    Eggymane - I'm curious to hear why you aren't a fan of cuben fiber for tents, as that is a possibility that I am considering (although my goodness are they expensive!).

I have a Copper Spur UL4, CS UL3 and CS UL1.
    I appreciate your viewpoint, and I hear you about the quality of Big Agnes gear. It sounds like I am going in the other direction from you in terms of tent weight, however. I've already got a 1-person freestanding tent, and I want to see if I can go to something lighter that will still provide reliable weather protection. I might regret it, but at least I want to put a toe into that pond.

Eggymane - I'm curious to hear why you aren't a fan of cuben fiber for tents, as that is a possibility that I am considering (although my goodness are they expensive!).
    I'm not to the point where I yet trust cuben for the floor of a tent. If you set cuben down on an object it will likely puncture through; whereas if you set a silnylon tent on the same object it has a far better chance of stretching without puncturing.

Quote Originally Posted by eggymane View Post
    I'm not to the point where I yet trust cuben for the floor of a tent. If you set cuben down on an object it will likely puncture through; whereas if you set a silnylon tent on the same object it has a far better chance of stretching without puncturing.
    Ah, good to know! I've been curious how durable cuben is. I hear that it does not last as long as nylon, but wasn't sure if it just wears out or if it is a fairly delicate fabric.

Ah, good to know! I've been curious how durable cuben is. I hear that it does not last as long as nylon, but wasn't sure if it just wears out or if it is a fairly delicate fabric.
    It's incredibly tear resistant, very strong in that manner; It's punctures that it is highly susceptible to. I like it for tarps because it doesn't stretch at all.

Every fabric has its downfalls. Cuben as stated is prone to puncture and not very abrasion resistant while being very resistant to tearing. Silnylon is less likely to puncture from a small object, but is easier to tear (relatively speaking), but has the cons of stretching when wet and retaining water. Cuben does not retain water or stretch.

It is all about trade offs with ultralight materials. So far nobody has created the perfect fabric, so you will have to choose what limitation you want to live with. I personally will take the disadvantages of cuben over silnylon as I am generally very careful with my gear and tend to replace stuff more frequently than the average user. I also much prefer not having to readjust my tent multiple times a night when it is wet and that was one of the major reasons I went from a TarpTent Notch to a ZPacks Duplex. Of course more room and less weight were appreciated as well!

Quote Originally Posted by soumodeler View Post
    I also much prefer not having to readjust my tent multiple times a night when it is wet and that was one of the major reasons I went from a TarpTent Notch to a ZPacks Duplex. Of course more room and less weight were appreciated as well!
    Ah, you did find that you were readjusting it multiple times? Given that the Duplex is a single-wall tent, how does it compare to the Notch in terms of condensation in your experience? Thanks!

I hike with a dog. I assumed that Cuben fiber flooring was a no go due to dogs nails causing punctures. Is this correct?

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
++ New Posts ++