Default What is a good section for a quick 2 night trip? Want to do about 20 miles.

Hi everyone,

I live in Winter Garden, right outside Orlando. I want to get out for a quick 2 night trip and want to accomplish at least 20 miles. Any suggestions or recommendations? I may be going solo or a buddy may be going. If my buddy goes I may be able to park at my end point and backtrack in his vehicle to our start. If I go solo, are there any loops that I can hike that will give me my 2 nights/20 miles? I would also like to stay within a 2-hour drive each way.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions!

Journal Entries
    Images

you can check out the citrus tract. it is a really nice loop tract .
    citrusmap2016.jpg
    If I die trying now I wont die wondering how life could have turned out.....

Thanks left52side! I was considering the citrus tract. How is the water situation for the area?

I've read that this is a dry trail. http://www.floridatrail.org/citrus-loop-trails/

Backpacking the perimeter Citrus Hiking Trail can take up to 4 days and requires some logistical planning. There are no surface streams, so you must consider this a dry trail. Karst features – sinkholes and solution holes – seasonally retain some rainfall, as do flatwoods ponds. The designated primitive campsites have no water sources.

I'm looking for the same type of weekend trip and found that Croom Loopis going to be my best bet other than an out and back in ONF ( closer to me )

Thanks Hoosier! I went onto the floridatrail website and it looks like there are a couple of choices. Croom sounds perfect distance wise as well!

I have done several overnighters at the Citrus Tract. I usually drive down to the parking area near Taylor campground to cache some water - it's only about a 7 minute walk from the campsite - then drive back and park at Mutual Mine's parking area for hikers. Hike the 12 mile section to Taylor, set up camp, go back to pick up the water I cached (or grab it on the way in - your choice). The next morning, hike the 8 mile section back to my truck. 20 miles total.

The ticks are already out, so treat your clothes and backpack with permethrin.

There is a small stream a mile or so before you get to Taylor, though it's not clear water - it is whitish from the limestone it comes out of, and sometimes it is stained brownish from the tannins or whatnot from leaves. I have seen people filtering water from that source, but it's easy enough to cache water for that campsite...

To cache the water, head south on 581 past the Mutual Mine turnoff. Then turn right on Stagecoach road (aka 480). After passing the turn for Tillis Hill Recreation area (which would be a Right turn) turn Left on the next dirt road. About 4 tenths of a mile, at the top of a rise, there is a parking area on the Left that the trail goes through; pull into that parking area and walk down the trail a bit to find a tree to hide your water behind.

Thanks for the reply MtDora Dave! Is the dirt road accessible with a non 4wd vehicle?

Journal Entries
    Images

Thanks for the reply MtDora Dave! Is the dirt road accessible with a non 4wd vehicle?
    For tillis hill as well as holdermine parking spots it is very doable without A 4 wheel drive.
    Let me know when your coming out and I can join ya,or I can cache some water for ya.

Journal Entries
    Images

For the road to taylor camp it is doable but can be rough in some spots.

Thanks for the offer! I would like to get out there soon before it gets too hot lol.

Journal Entries
    Images

Thanks for the offer! I would like to get out there soon before it gets too hot lol.
    I just fastpacked it A few days ago and it was quite hot already lol.
    Let me know when you head out and ill meet up with you,my house is not far from there.

++ New Posts ++