WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Thread: JetBoil MicroMo

Default JetBoil MicroMo

Was feeling a bit skeptical about the fuel efficiency of my BRS3000. Generally takes 7-9 grams to heat 2 cups water from my fridge (40 degrees) to a boil. It can also take more than that. And the boil times are crazy everywhere from 6:30 - 13+ minutes!

I also tested a SnowPeak Giga. The BRS actually did better consistently. I took the Giga back to REI.

Then I found the MicroMo. Brought it home and tested it. 40- boil in 3 minutes! 5 grams of fuel!

Given that I have to boil water for every meal (I freeze dry all my own food, check the link in my signature) consistent fuel usage and quick boil times are important to me.

The MicroMo certainly delivered! And for those who remember my question about fuel canister efficiency, this test was done with a near empty fuel canister.
    https://tinyurl.com/MyFDresults

A vigorous five-mile walk will do more good for an unhappy but otherwise healthy adult than all the medicine and psychology in the world. ~Paul Dudley White

I don't have a scale, so I haven't been able to test fuel efficiency, but did read on here that sometimes full blast isn't as efficient as turning down the power on some of these canister stoves.
    I also have the Snowpeak Giga, and the flame pattern is not straight up like some stoves, but outwards. Use of a small pot or cup would indeed be inefficient if the power was turned all the way up - too much of the flame/heat can shoot past the edge of the cooking vessel. That is the reason I bought a larger diameter pot. I also bought the windscreen, which may or may not do anything in test conditions without wind.

I was interested in the Olicamp XTS pot with heat exchanger, but an online video test showed the Giga wasn't very efficient with it - probably due to the wide flame pattern - where the pocket rocket was quite efficient with it. I didn't buy it... why spend the money and carry the extra weight for negligible fuel savings?

So the jetboils, which are a stove and pot system designed for maximum efficiency to boil water are hard to beat for boiling water. A small canister is enough for a week for two hot meals a day. The tiny "pots" attached to most jetboils are not so great for actually cooking in; that's their downside.

I don't know it for a fact but my hunch is that JB limits output at the burner to A) maintain reasonable efficiency and B) put less heat stress on the HX welds.

5g fuel for 2 cups @40°F with the flame wide open is very good. It might be a bit more efficient backing it down to about 65% of max, as a ballpark guesstimate. Maybe squeeze an extra boil or 2 out of each canister.

Quote Originally Posted by MtDoraDave View Post
    I don't have a scale, so I haven't been able to test fuel efficiency, but did read on here that sometimes full blast isn't as efficient as turning down the power on some of these canister stoves.
    I also have the Snowpeak Giga, and the flame pattern is not straight up like some stoves, but outwards. Use of a small pot or cup would indeed be inefficient if the power was turned all the way up - too much of the flame/heat can shoot past the edge of the cooking vessel. That is the reason I bought a larger diameter pot. I also bought the windscreen, which may or may not do anything in test conditions without wind.

I was interested in the Olicamp XTS pot with heat exchanger, but an online video test showed the Giga wasn't very efficient with it - probably due to the wide flame pattern - where the pocket rocket was quite efficient with it. I didn't buy it... why spend the money and carry the extra weight for negligible fuel savings?

So the jetboils, which are a stove and pot system designed for maximum efficiency to boil water are hard to beat for boiling water. A small canister is enough for a week for two hot meals a day. The tiny "pots" attached to most jetboils are not so great for actually cooking in; that's their downside.
    A small canister should do 24 boils at 5grams each. I boil 3 times per day but not usually 2 cups, just 1+ for most meals, breakfast being the exception as I will also need water for coffee. So a small canister "should" last me a full week +
    https://tinyurl.com/MyFDresults

A vigorous five-mile walk will do more good for an unhappy but otherwise healthy adult than all the medicine and psychology in the world. ~Paul Dudley White

Images

Quote Originally Posted by PennyPincher View Post
    A small canister should do 24 boils at 5grams each. I boil 3 times per day but not usually 2 cups, just 1+ for most meals, breakfast being the exception as I will also need water for coffee. So a small canister "should" last me a full week +
    Just as another data point, because we might be kinda similar in boil requirements... I have two cups of coffee in the morning, both around 12 ounces each so three cups of heated water, then in the evening about 3-4 more cups for dinner and a cup of tea (sometimes 2). A small canister does last me just about a week, sometimes slightly less, 6 days to be safe, but I've done 7 many times. This is in a jetboil, of course, mine being a Sol Ti, probably about the same efficiency as the mini-mo.

Once one has used canisters for a while, it is fairly easy to estimate accurately how much is left just by shaking the canister. Once nothing is felt shaking around inside, I know I have 1 ore 2 boils left, so I can ration the amount left if I'm a day+ away from a resupply by drinking less coffee or tea, saving fuel for the meals.

Images

I always figure about 7 grams per two cups just to be safe, or 15 boils per canister to be safe. Past history was in NH where it's often windy and the water usually starts off pretty cold. Down here in TX/OK where most of my hiking has been lately it always seems to be pretty windy as well although ambient water temp is higher. Even JB's suffer wind effects and this is probably the biggest factor in stove/pot performance in the the field. Usually my trips are only 2-3 days, so I can weigh a partially used canister, subtract the 94 gram tare weight of the empty and figure accordingly. Having more than enough fuel always takes precedence over weight though, but I'm almost never at the point that I need to consider a second canister. Jetboil claims 10 to 12 liters boiled per 100 gram net weight of canister. But only 6 liters if melting snow. ANd somewhere in between if water is very cold. Even with cold refrigerator water, stoves tests tend to be under very optimal conditions so far as wind, ambient air temperature, etc. are concerned. At about 1/2 lb, you could always carry an extra canister starting out just to be safe if your first resupply is more than 5 days out, then adjust.

Images

"Safety" with respect to fuel use is relative, not sure what is "unsafe" about running out of fuel for one day. We each have different priorities and methods. My breakfasts, except for coffee are cold (cereal), so running out of fuel means I don't get my coffee for a morning. A freeze dried dinner soaked in cold water does rehydrate, so I can get my calories at least, if I'm out of other cold food.

I also carry an emergency fire-starting tablet, trioxane, very similar to Esbit, about an ounce. This tablet can be broken in two and one piece placed on a flat rock then lit, then set my jetboil pot on it and voila, 2 cups of hot water in about 6 minutes.

With all of this said, in 50 years of backpacking, the last 20 of which were using a canister stove, I've run out of fuel precisely twice, and used the backup esbit tablet once to correct that.

My point being, for 3-season backpacking, the idea of carrying an extra canister "just for safety" is silly to me.

Quote Originally Posted by cmoulder View Post
    I don't know it for a fact but my hunch is that JB limits output at the burner to A) maintain reasonable efficiency and B) put less heat stress on the HX welds. . .
    Actually, the MiniMo burner is 30% hotter than their older Flash and Sol burners. BUT, it is a regulated burner enabling steady simmering, plus effective use of low pressure (i.e. cold and/or nearly empty) canisters.

FWIT: When I compared my Flash burner and my MiniMo burner at home, boiling two cups of tap water in the same pot, the Flash reached a rolling boil in just over 4 minutes and the MiniMo reached a rolling boil in just under 2 minutes. I don't know how the 30% hotter burner lead to less than 1/2 the boil time, but it did, and it did so twice.

My understanding is that the MiniMo and MicroMo are the same burner, but with different sized pots.
    I'm not lost. I'm exploring.

I think the HX fins on the MiniMo are what make the difference. Wider diameter base so there's more of 'em.

But I have a Flash also and without question the MiniMo burns hotter.

I would still run them somewhat less than full bore, however.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by colorado_rob View Post
    "Safety" with respect to fuel use is relative, not sure what is "unsafe" about running out of fuel for one day. We each have different priorities and methods. My breakfasts, except for coffee are cold (cereal), so running out of fuel means I don't get my coffee for a morning. A freeze dried dinner soaked in cold water does rehydrate, so I can get my calories at least, if I'm out of other cold food.

I also carry an emergency fire-starting tablet, trioxane, very similar to Esbit, about an ounce. This tablet can be broken in two and one piece placed on a flat rock then lit, then set my jetboil pot on it and voila, 2 cups of hot water in about 6 minutes.

With all of this said, in 50 years of backpacking, the last 20 of which were using a canister stove, I've run out of fuel precisely twice, and used the backup esbit tablet once to correct that.

My point being, for 3-season backpacking, the idea of carrying an extra canister "just for safety" is silly to me.
    Wasn't using the word the way you interpreted it. Feel free to insert the text string "just to be sure I don't run out of fuel because I really REALLY like my hot coffee and hot food" where I used the word "safe".

++ New Posts ++