WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Venchka View Post
    Do you mean the WM stuff sack supplied with the Alpinlite? It's made of coated nylon but I wouldn't call it waterproof.
    Why do you ask?
    Wayne
    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Dry sacks are different than suff sacks. Dry sacks are air tight.

Quote Originally Posted by egilbe View Post
    None of my dry sacks are completely air tight. Companies won't claim that either. Most don't recommend their dry sacks for submersion.

Will it keep water out while stored in a backpack while on a backpacking trip, certainly.

I can take my Zpacks and s2s dry bags fill them with air. Roll and clip the seam properly. And push out air from the opening. Its very little leaks, but it's not airtight.

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk

Yes. I'm very much aware of that. I have several of both types. I didn't mention using a dry sack to hold my sleeping bag.
    I said that I was unable to stuff my sleeping bag directly into a trash compactor bag in my pack like folks at WhiteBlaze repeatedly insist is the only way to carry a sleeping bag.
    Been there. Done that. Didn't work for me.
    Wayne

Eddie Valiant: "That lame-brain freeway idea could only be cooked up by a toon."
    https://wayne-ayearwithbigfootandbubba.blogspot.com
    FlickrMyBookTwitSpaceFace

Venchka, thats not a waterproof stuff sack though, correct?
    Do you mean the WM stuff sack supplied with the Alpinlite? It's made of coated nylon but I wouldn't call it waterproof.
    Why do you ask?
    Wayne
    well, maybe because the thread title is "waterproof stuff sack experiences"?

I don't know, just a thought...

Right. My fault.
    Wayne

Eddie Valiant: "That lame-brain freeway idea could only be cooked up by a toon."

I used a cuben stuff sack (waterproof minus opening) for my tent system when I through hiked and often packed up a moist tent. My tent went inside my bag on the top of everything and underneath my water bladder. I never had any issues with the moisture effecting anything else in my bag. My system consisted of a compactor bag with a cuben drybag for sleeping bag/quilt, cuben drybag/bear bag for food, cuben drybag for extra clothing, and then tent in cuben stuff sack. I did not use any sort of pack cover. It is could get wet, it stayed outside in the side pockets or back mesh (ULA ohm 2.0). For smaller items and electronics i just used simple plastic zip lock bags.

Hi how's everyone on the trail today?

Quote Originally Posted by johne316 View Post
    Hi how's everyone on the trail today?

What brand is your favorite stuff sacks

Quote Originally Posted by AllDownhillFromHere View Post
    Hello all,
    I'm considering replacing my existing came-with-the-sleeping-bag 8x15 stuffsack with one of these, the 8x18 model, so that I can fit my liner as well.
    https://www.rei.com/product/862471/r...eight-dry-sack

Anyone know if the 18" length includes all the triple roll-top/buckle stuff? In other words, is it 8x18, but not all usable space? My local REI brethren are getting a little sick of me returning stuff, so I'd like to get some info beforehand.
    Screw them! I am not normally a person who returns a lot of stuff but I have been the last couple of months. Sometimes I buy 2 or 3 items, variation on the same thing like dry sacks, and take them home to see which one works for me the best and return the rest.

I get great customer service every time too. Last time I returned something, a sleep pad 25L for a 25R they said they had, they didn't have it but hooked me up with an Exped SynMat for less than my Nemo I was returning. I felt really bad too as I didn't have the stuff sack that came with it and I always save my stuff sacks! The next day I actually found the stuff sack and called them to make sure they still had my returned pad. They did and I drove back 30 minutes each way to return the stuff sack and the strap it came with to save the pad from the garage sale and so they could put it back out on the floor as new since I never used it.
    https://tinyurl.com/MyFDresults

A vigorous five-mile walk will do more good for an unhappy but otherwise healthy adult than all the medicine and psychology in the world. ~Paul Dudley White

I'm not sure this all translates to "screw them". Why would you "screw" them for doing you a solid? I've returned worn hiking shoes and they took them back w/o question.

Quote Originally Posted by PennyPincher View Post
    Screw them! I am not normally a person who returns a lot of stuff but I have been the last couple of months. Sometimes I buy 2 or 3 items, variation on the same thing like dry sacks, and take them home to see which one works for me the best and return the rest.

I get great customer service every time too. Last time I returned something, a sleep pad 25L for a 25R they said they had, they didn't have it but hooked me up with an Exped SynMat for less than my Nemo I was returning. I felt really bad too as I didn't have the stuff sack that came with it and I always save my stuff sacks! The next day I actually found the stuff sack and called them to make sure they still had my returned pad. They did and I drove back 30 minutes each way to return the stuff sack and the strap it came with to save the pad from the garage sale and so they could put it back out on the floor as new since I never used it.

Journal Entries

I am actually thinking about Sea-to-Summit Ultra-Sil Dry Daypack that can serve double duty as a water-resistant bag and small backpack for short side-trip e.g. when you don't want to leave all your valuables at the shelter when leaving for an hour or two. Unfortunately it is not available at REI, but I see it at Amazon: https://www.amazon.com/Sea-Summit-Ul.../dp/B005RY3NP8

I have to second the cuben roll top dry sack from zpacks; had a water bladder that leaked out 50oz and fill up the bottom of my arc zipp backpack and found my sleeping bag nested in a pool of water but it was still dry as it was stored in the dry sack. I no longer carry water bladders inside my pack
    Love my Zpacks stuff.

I like my Cuban fiber stuff sacks, but use a heftier one (still lightweight) for my winter quilts. Come summer I might be looking to use a contractor bag to save some weight, but I appreciate that all my stuff is water that now.

I just went to using ZPacks Cuben Fiber Dry Bags and a S2S ultra Sil compression sack for my quilts.
    Great for organizing your stuff and keeping it water tight.

I love the Sea to Summit waterproof compression sacks with the E-vent panel. It really helps save space in my pack as well as providing a nice waterproof barrier as well. Having a vent in the compression sack really lets you pack it small. At one point I was struggling with pack volume: I just didn't have enough room for everything plus a 4 day food supply. Now I use those compression sacks for my quilts and clothes bags and found enough space for everything.

PCT, Sheltowee, Pinhoti, LT , BMT, AT, SHT, CDT, TRT 10-K's Avatar

One size fits all Internet advice doesn't always fit everyone.
    Sorry folks. I tried. My WM Alpinlite will not behave in a trash compactor bag. It took up half of the Catalyst. It behaved very nicely in the factory stuff sack. I assure you that it occupied every nook and every cranny of the bottom of the pack.
    Wayne
    Same.

I've tried stuffing my bag into my pack (in a compactor bag) and it basically sucks up all the room - works much better for me in a stuff sack. Also, I have found that if I'm hiking in extended rain water eventually even works its way into the trash compactor bag so I wouldn't be comfortable with that solution anyway.

My "problem" with the zpack cuben stuff is that the free bag that came with my sleeping bag is 2oz, and the 1oz Zpack drybag is $35. Granted its waterproof, but I'm paying $35 to save an ounce.

Quote Originally Posted by 10-K View Post
    Same.

I've tried stuffing my bag into my pack (in a compactor bag) and it basically sucks up all the room - works much better for me in a stuff sack. Also, I have found that if I'm hiking in extended rain water eventually even works its way into the trash compactor bag so I wouldn't be comfortable with that solution anyway.
    Thank you. It's nice to know that I'm not alone.
    This is one of several "Internet Gospel Truths" that isn't true for everyone.
    Wayne

Quote Originally Posted by AllDownhillFromHere View Post
    My "problem" with the zpack cuben stuff is that the free bag that came with my sleeping bag is 2oz, and the 1oz Zpack drybag is $35. Granted its waterproof, but I'm paying $35 to save an ounce.
    The weight savings for me wasn't a factor is choosing the CF dry bags. I got tired of trying to "stuff" my stuff around a compactor bag. I know it's a cheap and effective way to "waterproof" your gear but I favor using the dry bags. I like that everything is waterproof, organized and easily packed. I cover my pack with my Dutchware silnylon pack cover and I'm good to go!!
    Also, the price of a Silnylon dry bag, which is another lightweight, waterproof option, isn't much cheaper.

... but I'm with ya on the hole that's left in my pocket....!!!! Lol

Images

A good drysack can be a good compression sack as well... or vice versa actually. Personally, I would not get a non-breathable sack that didn't have something to grab it by at the bottom of the sack. Otherwise, they are a PITA. Looks like the REI example in the OP doesn't have one.
    "I wonder if anyone else has an ear so tuned and sharpened as I have, to detect the music, not of the spheres, but of earth, subtleties of major and minor chord that the wind strikes upon the tree branches. Have you ever heard the earth breathe... ?"
    - Kate Chopin

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
++ New Posts ++