Default trail conditions, Campo to Warner Springs

Has anyone does this section yet? Wondering how it looks as far as snow and ice. And water...
    Thanks!

There's been a pretty steady flow of information from the class of 17 Facebook page. No snow issues till Fuller Ridge. Lots of people skipping it and rejoining at some road a few miles up, Black Mountain I think? People are reporting many of the water sources south of Lake Morena are flowing but it seems they are expected to dry up soon.

It's going to be a road walking and yellow blazing experience for many a PCT NOBO thru this yr especially when attempting it as others in the past several yrs.

My wife was up at Islip Saddle yesterday. She reported lots of snow above Islip towards Little Jimmy. She hiked up to Mt. Williamson intending to go out Pleasant View Ridge and turned around due to snow. This is a woman with many Sierra snow climbs under her belt.

So. Nobody has hiked from Campo, PCT Mile 0, to Warner Springs, PCT Mile 107-109?
    Not sure what the yellow blazing and road walking is all about in the first 110 miles.
    Jeff I think you're going to have to hike this section and report back. Or join Facebook. NOT!
    Wayne
    Eddie Valiant: "That lame-brain freeway idea could only be cooked up by a toon."
    https://wayne-ayearwithbigfootandbubba.blogspot.com
    FlickrMyBookTwitSpaceFace

or somebody's gonna have to tell me what's in that "class of 17 facebook" thing! ?
    well, I'm kinda leaning towards heading down and checking it out... I wouldn't be surprised to find a surprising amount of wet stuff even that far south...good news is I don't think I'll have to carry 7l of water this trip!

Have fun. I'm envious. You owe us a trip report.
    Wayne

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Eddie Valiant: "That lame-brain freeway idea could only be cooked up by a toon."
    https://wayne-ayearwithbigfootandbubba.blogspot.com
    FlickrMyBookTwitSpaceFace

The most recent water information can be found in the PCT Water report (PCTwater.com) The only place in that section that sees snow is Mt. Laguna. And currently, its melted off. So unless a new storm comes in, no snow. Currently, wild flowers are blooming so it should be really nice this week.

I just finished hiking this section. No snow, Lot's of water and fresh thru hikers!
    - Young Blood | AT2015 | PCT2016 | CDT2017

alright! sounds perfect!

except for all those thru-hikers...

At least those who follow won't have the "full privy" problem.

Quote Originally Posted by YoungBloodOnTrail View Post
    I just finished hiking this section. No snow, Lot's of water and fresh thru hikers!
    Hwy Youngblood, how many thru-hikers are we talkin about? Am I gonna be able to get a room at the lodge in Laguna, and a motel room n Julian?

Images

Quote Originally Posted by jefals View Post
    Hwy Youngblood, how many thru-hikers are we talkin about? Am I gonna be able to get a room at the lodge in Laguna, and a motel room n Julian?
    That's easy..... 50 a day.
    enemy of unnecessary but innovative trail invention gadgetry

Quote Originally Posted by Malto View Post
    Assuming permits.

Quote Originally Posted by AllDownhillFromHere View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Malto View Post
    Assuming permits.
    Yeah, I'm guessing you're right -- probably around 50 starting out each day. Even tho
    "assuming permits" could be a big assumption. And it's just one factor. For one thing, these are thru-hiker permits, which not everybody needs. Also, there could be some folks that got those permits then may have decided to postpone their start date - not wanting to hit the Sierras too early....
    What I'm really wondering -- is the laguna lodge gonna be full? And most important - Is there gonna be any pie left in Julian for me?! Will there be rooms there?

I'd call ahead for a reservation when you get a good idea when you'll need the room. You get periodic coverage while on the trail.

++ New Posts ++