WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Default What do you bring into the tent at night when bears are active?

I'll be hiking the NJ section next August & may not have room to bring my pack inside the tent at night. Two of us will share a two man tent. I understand that bears are active in that area. Should I hang my pack at night along with the food? I also wonder if items like chap stick, toothpaste and lanolin are too yummy smelling to bring in the tent at night? What's the protocol? What would you do?

Journal Entries

Two person tent with two sharing the tent.... Hang the backpacks along with the food bags! You will appreciate the room in the tent and worry less about attracting the active bear population.

In addition to that and somewhat related, while hiking and staying in shelters in the GSMNP the park rangers strongly suggest hanging the packs and food bags.

Journal Entries

Well if you can't bring it in the tent with you, hanging is the best option. I keep all of the smell good stuff in Loksac Opsaks, (odor proof bags). My toilet kit is also in one, but I would keep that with me under your circumstances. I have a Ursack AllMitey Bear Bag that I lined with a extra large Opsak. YMMV
    Blackheart

Quote Originally Posted by LucyInColor View Post
    Should I hang my pack at night along with the food? I also wonder if items like chap stick, toothpaste and lanolin are too yummy smelling to bring in the tent at night? What's the protocol? What would you do?
    Everything that you would put on your person or in your mouth goes in your food bag. Don't forget to get empty food wrappers and crumbs out of your pack and into the trash bag inside the food bag.
    Wayne

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Eddie Valiant: "That lame-brain freeway idea could only be cooked up by a toon."
    https://wayne-ayearwithbigfootandbubba.blogspot.com
    FlickrMyBookTwitSpaceFace

Wanna-be hiker trash
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by LucyInColor View Post
    I'll be hiking the NJ section next August & may not have room to bring my pack inside the tent at night. Two of us will share a two man tent. I understand that bears are active in that area. Should I hang my pack at night along with the food? I also wonder if items like chap stick, toothpaste and lanolin are too yummy smelling to bring in the tent at night? What's the protocol? What would you do?

When I did NJ we each kept our packs in the vestibule of the tent which worked well for us. If this is not an option for you then I would recommend that you not just leave your pack lying around and instead secure it. For most of the NJ section you are required to stay at designated sites and the good news is that if I recall, every designated site has an excellent quality bear box (still bring supplies for a bear hang just in case). The exception is the few miles farthest South is part of Delaware Water Gap National Recreation Area, this section allows dispersed camping and therefore does not have bear boxes.

Quote Originally Posted by Venchka View Post
    Everything that you would put on your person or in your mouth goes in your food bag. Don't forget to get empty food wrappers and crumbs out of your pack and into the trash bag inside the food bag.
    Wayne

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    What Venchka said.

Since he mentioned it, in all of my time camping and backpacking the only animal damage I have sustained was when I accidentally left a Payday wrapper in my hipbelt pocket this summer and a mouse ate a hole through to get to it while I was sleeping at a shelter.
    Colorless green ideas sleep furiously.

Bears being active doesn't change what I bring into my shelter. The difference of being in bear territory or not being in bear territory changes that however.

I use my pack as support for my pillow...doesn't take up any more space and actually helps to stop things sliding around or falling off.

As far as what I bring into the tent...only my chapstick, everything else goes into the bear bag and hung...trash, food and toiletries.

We had a raccoon try to run off with the potty bag (zip lock with toilet paper, trowel & unscented hand sanitizer bagged individually). It never had anything that would have smelled edible in or near it. We were about a mile or so from a front country campground though, and I'm sure the raccoon had learned that zip locks = good things to eat. I'd say it was one disappointed critter - After tearing the bag open, it dropped it and ran off.

-FA

Images

I bring everything into my shelter if I have it set up. Most of my gear is somehow part of my sleep system except for my pot.
    enemy of unnecessary but innovative trail invention gadgetry

Wanna-be hiker trash
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Malto View Post
    I bring everything into my shelter if I have it set up. Most of my gear is somehow part of my sleep system except for my pot.

I'm honestly surprised that you haven't yet found a way to incorporate your cookpot into your shelter system.

Perhaps it could be used as a snowstake?
    Colorless green ideas sleep furiously.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Sarcasm the elf View Post
    I'm honestly surprised that you haven't yet found a way to incorporate your cookpot into your shelter system.

Perhaps it could be used as a snowstake?
    I tried it as part of my pillow. Titanium is not very soft and fluffy.
    enemy of unnecessary but innovative trail invention gadgetry

I keep everything in odor proof bags in my tent. Otherwise, i have my 9mm Ruger handy.

Images

while hiking and staying in shelters in the GSMNP the park rangers strongly suggest hanging the packs and food bags

its not a suggestion to hang the food bags in the Park----its a requirement......

I knew this would be an entertaining thread. Popcorn anyone?

Images

Popcorn anyone?

i think you have to hang that as well.......

Journal Entries
    Images

The best way to avoid bears and other critters is to avoid shelters and designated camp areas. You're not going to get rid of the smells that a bear's nose can pick up. It's all over you and you don't even know it.
    "Though I have lost the intimacy with the seasons since my hike, I retain the sense of perfect order, of graceful succession and surrender, and of the bold brilliance of fall leaves as they yield to death." - David Brill

Campfire smoke has been used to mask scent. It seems to work on certain animals.

Journal Entries

Tnhiker, is it required to hang the pack on bear cable in GSMNO?

Journal Entries

Sorry, GSMNP

Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Bluebird View Post
    Tnhiker, is it required to hang the pack on bear cable in GSMNO?
    No, it's not required, and a lot of the time there are no cables left if you show up late.
    "Though I have lost the intimacy with the seasons since my hike, I retain the sense of perfect order, of graceful succession and surrender, and of the bold brilliance of fall leaves as they yield to death." - David Brill

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
++ New Posts ++