WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Default cuben fiber privacy at night?

Was just about settled to get a BA copper spur to hike with to lighten the load form my REI half dome 2.
    But started looking at cuben fiber, z-pack etc....

some of the photos I see online make it seem that this stuff is very transparent.
    I know tgat weight of fabric matters, as does color....
    but i can't find any reference or pics on line regarding privacy at night.... as in with a light on inside the tent.

I wouldn't really care all that much when generally solo hiking, except I wouldn't want to be flashing others when inside the tent changing if I ever use the tent camping with the scout troop.... or in public campgrounds and such....

Journal Entries

Transparent enough that a full moon above treeline is like someone shining a flashlight in your face.....
    It can actually keep you awake

Images

Here's one video Zpacks links to on the DUplex page https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CxuBz0x9pmQ
    Another video review at https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eqnu-LAlH0A#t=2m29s

The camo seems a lot less revealing. Not just the color/transparency, but the camo pattern seems to break up visual lines better.

I'd say it's translucent, not transparent...enough to see shape but no detail, kinda like frosted glass.

Less true privacy for sure, but nothing that I would call visible. Shapes, vague at that, you can see, but nothing more. The moon can create problems at times but not a big deal for me.

I have a Duplex and the only times I even shut the doors is to change or if it is really raining. I generally camp a little ways away from others so it doesn't matter to me at all most of the time.

Quote Originally Posted by 4eyedbuzzard View Post
    Here's one video Zpacks links to on the DUplex page https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CxuBz0x9pmQ
    Another video review at https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eqnu-LAlH0A#t=2m29s

The camo seems a lot less revealing. Not just the color/transparency, but the camo pattern seems to break up visual lines better.
    Thanks
    I had actually already seen that first one in my search for night pictures.... and saw stills form that 2nd video or something just like it with a yellow pad....
    but both of these are daylight shots. Which make it seem pretty revealing with the non-camo version. I saw some different things that made it seem that the other colored ones would be between the camo and the 'silver' in terms of translucency....
    but I'm wondering about night time with a light on inside. If you can see through that well in the day, I'd think it would be more visible at night..... and I wonder how the camo version does at night (or the other colors, I really don't want camo)

Images

Hikers tend to be tired and sleep at night. Unless you plan to sit up reading for hours naked, I can't imagine it being a problem. I own 4 different colors of Cuben, and solo hike without fear of being seen.

yeah, it's no so much that type of use I'm concerned with regarding privacy. it's the potential of probably also using it say camping with the scout troop.... or camping in a public camp ground. Don't want to be accused of flashing a kid walking by, when I'm just changing clothes.....

Quote Originally Posted by blw2 View Post
    yeah, it's no so much that type of use I'm concerned with regarding privacy. it's the potential of probably also using it say camping with the scout troop.... or camping in a public camp ground. Don't want to be accused of flashing a kid walking by, when I'm just changing clothes.....
    It's not that see through. A silhouette will be seen but not detail. One would be able to tell if it was a male or female changing, but not details of the anatomy.

I have the spruce green Duplex and find that it's actually pretty good in terms of privacy.

Although more expensive, the Camouflage CF is not as translucent as the Regular. It breaks the lines of things from both outside looking in and inside looking out. Plus, it disappears when it matches it's surroundings!
    "gbolt" on the Trail

I am Third

We are here to help one another along life's journey. Keep the Faith!

YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCik...NPHW7vu3vhRBGA

I knew someone who worked at a commercial campground. He said while doing evening rounds, watching the silhouettes as couples went at it at night with a light on in the tent was entertaining.
    Follow slogoen on Instagram.

Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Slo-go'en View Post
    I knew someone who worked at a commercial campground. He said while doing evening rounds, watching the silhouettes as couples went at it at night with a light on in the tent was entertaining.
    Just what you need, a peeping tom at a campground.
    Blackheart

Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by jgillam View Post
    I have the spruce green Duplex and find that it's actually pretty good in terms of privacy.
    The camo version would blend into those leaves well. Looks like you two had a great camp.
    "Though I have lost the intimacy with the seasons since my hike, I retain the sense of perfect order, of graceful succession and surrender, and of the bold brilliance of fall leaves as they yield to death." - David Brill

I bought several cuben fiber tents specifically so I could silhouette my nakedness inside. It's been a great pink blazing ice breaker.

Combined with Naked Fishing Day and Hike Naked Day I feel released from the confines of clothing. I'm taking UL to the next level. Sun Block not included.

Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Dogwood View Post
    I bought several cuben fiber tents specifically so I could silhouette my nakedness inside. It's been a great pink blazing ice breaker.
    I'd throw in a few bucks to see a silhouette peep show through cuben fiber by a voluptuous female hiker.
    "Though I have lost the intimacy with the seasons since my hike, I retain the sense of perfect order, of graceful succession and surrender, and of the bold brilliance of fall leaves as they yield to death." - David Brill

Images

Quote Originally Posted by -Rush- View Post
    I'd throw in a few bucks to see a silhouette peep show through cuben fiber by a voluptuous female hiker.
    Certainly not of Mr. Wood

I saw a few blue ones at trail days and they are opaque. The natural color much more translucent but as has been said is more like frosted glass. You can't see details. I didn't like the way the natural didn't block much of the sun however. The few times I was in it when the sun was shining full onto the tent it was very bright and hard on the eyes.

Quote Originally Posted by -Rush- View Post
    What an ahole comment...makes me furious.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
++ New Posts ++