WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Oh and back to the original topic...

I would love to have a duplex tent in the camo Cuben fiber. I generally wash up every night but leave my light off and try not to silhouette self in the sunset. I try not to notice people bathing out of curtesy, but some people I think are just exhibitionists!

Quote Originally Posted by kestral View Post
    Just a random thought...
    I used to be a fairly attractive, blue eyed blonde, slim solo hiker in my late teens to early twenties. I wasn't looking for romance. Every day I would plan approx mileage, water re supplies, food pickups just like the fellows. I also would give equal weight to no shelter near roads, avoid any alcohol or weed, immediately leave any campsite or shelter wher the guys would start to party with alcohol or weed- even if tent already set for nite, always sleep in tent- in a shelter guys just seem to want to protect which seemed to involve a "snuggle", never accept any type of"present" or shared food (guys actually were put out that I wouldn't put out after sharing jiffypop -I swear that's true!) never ever be in a situation where I was overnight with just me and one male- pack up and move. Sitting around the fire swapping lies at night? Guys would take as a come on. I wasn't flirting, just being not unfriendly . Even older gentlemen my dad and grandpas age would act inappropriately or aggressively. I met many fine men out there, but could I risk it for the one in fifty (twenty?) guy who would do me harm if he felt he could get away with it? I remember crying in my tent once because a guy was singing about all the sex stuff he was going to do to me, all while his friends laughed. They never touched me, I was too scared to come outside and pack up to leave. My last hike for many years. That was normal hiking in late 70s, early 80s. I was so jealous of the men who could just hike and hang out. I gave up hiking for many years.

Fast forward to now... yes there is more awareness of sexual harassment and that's a good thing. I am also now a 57yo kind of chubby gal with glasses who is off most guy's sexual radar, thank god! I can now be more of an equal and I enjoy hiking again.

Guys don't just assume gals "know you're joking" . We don't know you! And no I'm not a kill joy radical feminist. I just remember a lot of unnecessary second class citizen type stuff, a lot of precaution. A few close calls and one very bad incident. (No charges, no nothing. A girl by her self out alone? What a joke she even complained)

Things are much better now, let's continue the positive changes. Also, look out for the gals on the trail. Don't let men behaving badly just slide. Not getting involved can be taken as "well it must be ok nobody is complaining ".

Sorry, got on a bit of a rant there... just one hikers experience.
    Needed to be said. And guy's need to call each other out on locker room BS.
    You can walk in another person's shoes, but only with your feet

My apologies to Rush...I was wrrrr, wrrrrrrrooo, I was wrong!

I'd be a bit concerned about the security of my possessions if the tent is see-through enough that someone can tell from the outside whether it's occupied or not. If I'm off fetching water or answering nature's call, normally my zipped-up tent (with fly) doesn't demonstrate whether I'm in it or not. I don't think I'd like to indicate my presence/absence to passersby, much less get to issues of exhibitionism. Your tent is your only home on the AT, and you'd like it to be your portable sanctuary.

I'm going to drop trou as Nature's call dictates, plus I'll be in the altogether scrubbing up at the end of the day's hiking, and I can't guarantee that my chosen spots will be as out-of-the-way as intended. There's simply no guarantee of privacy when performing normally private acts near the Trail. I do trust (nearly all) through-hikers to avoid gawking if you can also see them. I'm not so sure people can resist temptation if they're not observable, however.

I think I'll be happier with sil-nylon than something more see-through. YMMV.

Quote Originally Posted by DownEaster View Post
    I'd be a bit concerned about the security of my possessions if the tent is see-through enough that someone can tell from the outside whether it's occupied or not. If I'm off fetching water or answering nature's call, normally my zipped-up tent (with fly) doesn't demonstrate whether I'm in it or not. I don't think I'd like to indicate my presence/absence to passersby, much less get to issues of exhibitionism. Your tent is your only home on the AT, and you'd like it to be your portable sanctuary.

I'm going to drop trou as Nature's call dictates, plus I'll be in the altogether scrubbing up at the end of the day's hiking, and I can't guarantee that my chosen spots will be as out-of-the-way as intended. There's simply no guarantee of privacy when performing normally private acts near the Trail. I do trust (nearly all) through-hikers to avoid gawking if you can also see them. I'm not so sure people can resist temptation if they're not observable, however.

I think I'll be happier with sil-nylon than something more see-through. YMMV.

Over a Hammock, they can't tell whether your laying in the hammock or not. As a tent, they can't tell if you are laying flat or not. So concern about whether they can tell your presence/absence is not a major concern. Performing private acts can be done inconspicuously as well. However, if sil-nylon is the choice that meets your pro's vs the cons of it...great. For my hiking the Pros of CF outweigh the con's being discussed.
    "gbolt" on the Trail

I am Third

We are here to help one another along life's journey. Keep the Faith!

YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCik...NPHW7vu3vhRBGA

Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by rocketsocks View Post
    My apologies to Rush...I was wrrrr, wrrrrrrrooo, I was wrong!
    You took the chivalrous approach, and there's nothing wrong with that. Yes, it was a lewd (translate: every guy laughs and agrees at the bar) comment. But c'mon.. it was all Dogwood's fault! On my last lash I hiked with three women (57, 61, 66) for 80 or so miles and they were no saints!
    "Though I have lost the intimacy with the seasons since my hike, I retain the sense of perfect order, of graceful succession and surrender, and of the bold brilliance of fall leaves as they yield to death." - David Brill

Each has to be responsible for their own behavior. I said something I regretted for the exact consequences that followed. I own it. I was wrong! I will not excuse it. Lessons better learned. Can debate sexist cultural stigmas from all gender sides like this all day. Unless one's comments relates it to hiking it's not for this forum.

Sight privacy is not an issue as has been said multiple times in Dyneema Composite fabric tents.

Packs has a adequate run down on the topics:

Cuben Fiber is semi-transparent. In bright sunlight you can see a fuzzy silhouette of a person sitting inside the tent. You cannot see any details and it has a suitable amount of privacy for changing clothes etc. In lower light (such as in the evening or at night) you cannot see through at all. We also have thicker, darker Cuben Fiber material available as an upgrade that you can choose.

.51 oz/sqyd Standard Cuben Fiber Fabric

The default material choice on this tent is .51 oz/sqyd Cuben Fiber. It has high tensile strength and can handle strong winds, storms, and all the typical conditions a tent will be in. This is the weight I used on all my long distance hikes, and I've never had a problem with it becoming damaged. If it ever were to get punctured or torn, I know that I can fix it easily in the field with Cuben Fiber Repair Tape. A piece of matching repair tape is included with the tent.

The floor material on our tents is always thicker more puncture and abrasion resistant 1.0 oz/sqyd Cuben Fiber regardless of which tarp material you pick.

.67 oz/sqyd Camo Cuben Fiber Fabric

This material has the same Dyneema thread count as standard .51 oz/sqyd, but with a slightly thicker laminate with a Camo pattern on it. The Camo print brings the fabric weight to .67 oz/sqyd.

It blends in to nature well. It is darker, less transparent and offers more privacy. Cuben Fiber has a bit of a sheen to it when it is new, but it dulls down significantly with some use.

This video by John Abela shows the Opacity and Color of Camo Cuben Fiber.

This material is more expensive. It adds around 1.5 ounces (45 grams) to the weight of a Duplex.
    .74 oz/sqyd Spruce Green Cuben Fiber Material

This material has a higher Dyneema thread count which gives it a higher tear strength. The standard material is already difficult to tear, so in our opinion this weight is unnecessary. Some people like it for added peace of mind.

It is also a bit thicker and darker than the standard weight. It is less transparent and offers more privacy, but it is not as dark as camo.

It adds around 2.2 ounces (62 grams) to the weight of a Duplex.

Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Dogwood View Post
    Each has to be responsible for their own behavior. I said something I regretted for the exact consequences that followed. I own it. I was wrong! I will not excuse it. Lessons better learned. Can debate sexist cultural stigmas from all gender sides like this all day. Unless one's comments relates it to hiking it's not for this forum.

Sight privacy is not an issue as has been said multiple times in Dyneema Composite fabric tents.

Packs has a adequate run down on the topics:

Cuben Fiber is semi-transparent. In bright sunlight you can see a fuzzy silhouette of a person sitting inside the tent. You cannot see any details and it has a suitable amount of privacy for changing clothes etc. In lower light (such as in the evening or at night) you cannot see through at all. We also have thicker, darker Cuben Fiber material available as an upgrade that you can choose.

.51 oz/sqyd Standard Cuben Fiber Fabric

The default material choice on this tent is .51 oz/sqyd Cuben Fiber. It has high tensile strength and can handle strong winds, storms, and all the typical conditions a tent will be in. This is the weight I used on all my long distance hikes, and I've never had a problem with it becoming damaged. If it ever were to get punctured or torn, I know that I can fix it easily in the field with Cuben Fiber Repair Tape. A piece of matching repair tape is included with the tent.

The floor material on our tents is always thicker more puncture and abrasion resistant 1.0 oz/sqyd Cuben Fiber regardless of which tarp material you pick.

.67 oz/sqyd Camo Cuben Fiber Fabric

This material has the same Dyneema thread count as standard .51 oz/sqyd, but with a slightly thicker laminate with a Camo pattern on it. The Camo print brings the fabric weight to .67 oz/sqyd.

It blends in to nature well. It is darker, less transparent and offers more privacy. Cuben Fiber has a bit of a sheen to it when it is new, but it dulls down significantly with some use.

This video by John Abela shows the Opacity and Color of Camo Cuben Fiber.

This material is more expensive. It adds around 1.5 ounces (45 grams) to the weight of a Duplex.
    .74 oz/sqyd Spruce Green Cuben Fiber Material

This material has a higher Dyneema thread count which gives it a higher tear strength. The standard material is already difficult to tear, so in our opinion this weight is unnecessary. Some people like it for added peace of mind.

It is also a bit thicker and darker than the standard weight. It is less transparent and offers more privacy, but it is not as dark as camo.

It adds around 2.2 ounces (62 grams) to the weight of a Duplex.
    You are a beast!
    "Though I have lost the intimacy with the seasons since my hike, I retain the sense of perfect order, of graceful succession and surrender, and of the bold brilliance of fall leaves as they yield to death." - David Brill

Exhibitionists tent choice.

Enough hikers change in shelters that most probably dont worry about see thru tents too much. Its mostly just see something, verify that you are seeing, and turn around and give them some privacy. Ive had my junk checked out by enough young women, it makes me laugh. People look. No big deal. Damn Puritans ruining this country.

If you're that conscious change inside your sleeping bag or quilt...and turn out the lights at night when changing. Tents are just pieces of thin fabric. Time to move on.

Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by egilbe View Post
    . Damn Puritans ruining this country.
    Actually, puritans created this country

Journal Entries

I have observed over the years that guys that make sexual comments about women especially in front of them usually end up with ****ty type women themselves. I have thought about this a lot and the only conclusion I can make is these type of women are the only type that will tolerate this kind of behavior.
    Blackheart

Journal Entries

Oh I have a question for the guys. Would you like some guy talking like this in front of your mother, wife or daughter?
    Blackheart

This thread has been cleaned up to some degree, but not all comments have been removed.

I'm going to note a few things. Sexism is prohibited on the site. The user agreement for the site is located under Odds & Ends (near the top of the page) or follow the link in my signature. Voyeurism is illegal in some states, one of those is Georgia. Whether a tent is considered private in a legal sense I can't say. Most people do have an expectation of privacy when using one. You can see through glass but parking your eyeballs up against it for pruient purposes will likely get you in trouble in some jurisdictions. Sure everyone should expect some reductions in privacy but having somebody peeping in on another hiker is not acceptable. Laughing and kidding about it is going to make many women uncomfortable. Let's have the thread get back on track please.

Thank you.
    "Sleepy alligator in the noonday sun
    Sleepin by the river just like he usually done
    Call for his whisky
    He can call for his tea
    Call all he wanta but he can't call me..."
    Robert Hunter & Ron McKernan

Whiteblaze.net User Agreement.

For what it's worth to future readers with the same concerns as the OP, I camped a few nights ago using my .74 spruce green Duplex. For the sole purpose of this thread, I had my son play around with his flashlight while I watched from outside. I will offer that while I could see his outline if he was shining the bright light directly at himself, the weight fabric provides plenty of privacy and I would not worry about someone seeing me inside. If you want more security, Zpacks just added a double wall insert for this tent, to their website. I have one and it completely blocks out light top of the tent but, can't help with the sides. If you still aren't sure, I'd get the camo version...that's got to be even better than mine. Maybe Zpacks will have a black DCF in the future as an option.

thanks for the cleanup...as the OP it was not at all my intention with the question....

and thanks to jgillam for that report. That is the type of answer I was looking for!

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
++ New Posts ++