WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Traffic Jam View Post
    What an ahole comment...makes me furious.
    Yeah, really. Pretty uncool.

The funny thing is, among hikers, there's very little modesty in my experience, which means this sort of peep-show isn't really a thing. Like, meh, a naked person, we're all naked out here.

Just keep in mind that what you do in a tent at night with a light on can let others who happen to wander by have a good idea what's going on. This applies to pretty much any kind of tent.
    Follow slogoen on Instagram.

Quote Originally Posted by Dogwood View Post
    Combined with Naked Fishing Day and Hike Naked Day I feel released from the confines of clothing. I'm taking UL to the next level. Sun Block not included.
    Trust me my friend, you want the sun block. I used to frequent a nude beach MANY years ago... still smile when I think of running into the young first time gents later on in the evenings. "I never burn" oh yeah you did!

My personal apologies to Traffic Jam and the forum for, even though my comments were intended in a tongue in cheek fashion, opened the door to my own and possibly others's inappropriate comments.

Quote Originally Posted by Dogwood View Post
    My personal apologies to Traffic Jam and the forum for, even though my comments were intended in a tongue in cheek fashion, opened the door to my own and possibly others's inappropriate comments.
    As most anybody would agree, you made a funny. So many people are searching for a means to be insulted. Our culture is falling prey to the politically correct posturing, give it a break.

Now, I am done, I too apologize and going to my safe space.

Stop intentionally triggering me.

I'm a little snowflake.

Journal Entries

Men being attracted to naked women, or attractive women, is quite literally the single most fundamental aspect of human existence and history. Quite bluntly, its what makes the world go round.

But dont dare mention it...
    Last edited by MuddyWaters; 04-05-2017 at 15:23.

Yes, but we don't want to be contributing to trail problems.

Journal Entries

In jest
    Not place for it, I agree
    I disagree with people angered by reality

Ive posted lots of factual info, deleted by mods in the name of not ruffling some xxxx's feathers.

People want to live in their fantasy worlds, and insist we dont infringe on it by mentioning reality.
    Last edited by MuddyWaters; 04-05-2017 at 15:40.

Quote Originally Posted by MuddyWaters View Post
    In jest
    Not place for it, I agree
    I disagree with people angered by reality
    My reality and yours vary greatly. Do you often get sexually harassed? Do you struggle with feelings of safety while hiking solo? Do people regard you as a piece of meat, measuring your worth by the size of your penis? Do you have daughters that hike that you worry about?

I got more respect the other day when sharing a shelter with a bunch of chain-smoking, jeans-wearing rednecks. I expect better from my fellow, male hikers.

Journal Entries

Men being attracted to naked women, or attractive women, is quite literally the single most fundamental aspect of human existence and history. Quite bluntly, its what makes the world go round.
    Over several years I've had a small flock of assorted poultry, mostly chickens, also guineas, ducks, wild turkeys. I don't mean to intentionally equate men to dumb birds (really I don't!) but I have observed numerous times the distinctly different and rarely varying behaviors/motivators of the genders. For the females, "There's the food. Let's eat." For the males, "Look at my pretty feathers. Let's ----."

Obviously people are more complex. Sometimes...

And to add in response to TJ's post:
    While some roosters politely strut around and woo the hens (as if she cares about his feathers ) others can be brutal, speeding like a bullet after the "object" - because that's all she is - and completely oblivious to her protests. That behavior gets the boy locked up.
    Last edited by illabelle; 04-05-2017 at 15:58.

Well in that case, I'd say Camo, no interior lights and a white noise generator, solar powered of course.

Journal Entries

My reality and yours vary greatly. Do you often get sexually harassed? Do you struggle with feelings of safety while hiking solo? Do people regard you as a piece of meat, measuring your worth by the size of your penis? Do you have daughters that hike that you worry about?

I got more respect the other day when sharing a shelter with a bunch of chain-smoking, jeans-wearing rednecks. I expect better from my fellow, male hikers.

I get it
    You appatently dont like the way the world is
    Or that your a woman in a male dominated world.

But heres the thing..it is what it is, and has been, since dawn of time . What is accomplished by putting head in sand and pretending its not?

Dont even talk sexism. Women measure worth by size of bank account today . The best provider isnt the best hunter, they are the highest paid.

Women want $, men want sex.

The first thing, very first thing, to go thru a mans mind when meets a woman is...would I..... Followed by...could I...... Should I is a different question, and not related at all to 1 and 2
    Last edited by MuddyWaters; 04-05-2017 at 18:02.

I get it

But heres the thing..it is what it is, and has been, since dawn of time . What is accomplished by putting head in sand and pretending its not?

Dont even talk sexism. Women measure worth by size of bank account today . The best provider isnt the best hunter, they are the highest paid.

The first thing, very first thing, to go thru a mans mind when meets a woman is...would I..... Followed by...could I...... Should I is a different question, and not related at all to 1 and 2
    Dude, you're gross. I'm sure its just for effect, but it's still gross.
    You can walk in another person's shoes, but only with your feet

Let's keep things to hiking related topics and respecting everyone conscientiously rather than general cultural or societal stereotypes.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by devoidapop View Post
    Dude, you're gross. I'm sure its just for effect, but it's still gross.
    "Gross" isn't the word I would use, "archaic" and maybe "my reality is the only right one, all other views are fake news".

This thread brings a whole 'nother level to creepiness.... and the worst part, the original bawdy comment, which I normally might enjoy, had zero actual funniness to it, a real loser of a comment, downright weird.

Anyway, my $0.02 on the cuben thing, as others have said, nothing can be actually seen through the cuben, only shapes, but all that being said, if I ever bought another cuben tent, I'd probably opt for a darker shade and perhaps slightly heavier cuben, for daytime dimming when needed plus for longer life of the fabric. Basically I'd go with the 0.74 ounce/yard spruce green vs. the 0.51 white, which I have.

I get it

It's not that complicated. I merely want to feel safe when out hiking and not feel like men are watching me perform in a tent. The comment was out of line in this forum and I called him out. There ain't nothing wrong with that. And you are dead wrong about me...but hey, you're callin' it like you see it so it must ​be true.
    Last edited by Traffic Jam; 04-05-2017 at 19:19.

Journal Entries

It's not that complicated. I merely want to feel safe when out hiking and not feel like men are watching me perform in a tent. The comment was out of line in this forum and I called him out. There ain't nothing wrong with that. And you are dead wrong about me...but hey, you're callin' it like you see it so it must ​be true.

How and why does what some person say online, affect how you feel when hiking?
    My point is really..it shouldnt
    They arent connected
    The world out there is...what it is...what it always has been

Questionable to me to desire feedback in an artificially controlled environment where people must be politically correct and accept everyone unconditionally to bolster perceptions of your own safety or acceptance.

It might be out of place here, but its not exactly uncommon banter amongst men. Im all for people being accomodating and respectful. But getting angry because someone thinks it or says it? Better get angry at half the world, most of the time. Perhaps even be glad when a bit of reality seeps from under the false veneer created . That hint of reality might be helpful sometimes.
    Last edited by MuddyWaters; 04-05-2017 at 22:48.

How and why does what some person say online, affect how you feel when hiking?
    My point is really..it shouldnt
    They arent connected
    The world out there is...what it is...what it always has been

Questionable to me to desire feedback in an artificially controlled environment where people must be politically correct and accept everyone unconditionally to bolster perceptions of your own safety or acceptance.

It might be out of place here, but its not exactly uncommon banter amongst men. Im all for people being accomodating and respectful. But getting angry because someone thinks it or says it? Better get angry at half the world, most of the time. Perhaps even be glad when a bit of reality seeps from under the false veneer created . That hint of reality might be helpful sometimes.
    C'mon...even I know this ones a little creepy!

Just a random thought...
    I used to be a fairly attractive, blue eyed blonde, slim solo hiker in my late teens to early twenties. I wasn't looking for romance. Every day I would plan approx mileage, water re supplies, food pickups just like the fellows. I also would give equal weight to no shelter near roads, avoid any alcohol or weed, immediately leave any campsite or shelter wher the guys would start to party with alcohol or weed- even if tent already set for nite, always sleep in tent- in a shelter guys just seem to want to protect which seemed to involve a "snuggle", never accept any type of"present" or shared food (guys actually were put out that I wouldn't put out after sharing jiffypop -I swear that's true!) never ever be in a situation where I was overnight with just me and one male- pack up and move. Sitting around the fire swapping lies at night? Guys would take as a come on. I wasn't flirting, just being not unfriendly . Even older gentlemen my dad and grandpas age would act inappropriately or aggressively. I met many fine men out there, but could I risk it for the one in fifty (twenty?) guy who would do me harm if he felt he could get away with it? I remember crying in my tent once because a guy was singing about all the sex stuff he was going to do to me, all while his friends laughed. They never touched me, I was too scared to come outside and pack up to leave. My last hike for many years. That was normal hiking in late 70s, early 80s. I was so jealous of the men who could just hike and hang out. I gave up hiking for many years.

Fast forward to now... yes there is more awareness of sexual harassment and that's a good thing. I am also now a 57yo kind of chubby gal with glasses who is off most guy's sexual radar, thank god! I can now be more of an equal and I enjoy hiking again.

Guys don't just assume gals "know you're joking" . We don't know you! And no I'm not a kill joy radical feminist. I just remember a lot of unnecessary second class citizen type stuff, a lot of precaution. A few close calls and one very bad incident. (No charges, no nothing. A girl by her self out alone? What a joke she even complained)

Things are much better now, let's continue the positive changes. Also, look out for the gals on the trail. Don't let men behaving badly just slide. Not getting involved can be taken as "well it must be ok nobody is complaining ".

Sorry, got on a bit of a rant there... just one hikers experience.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
++ New Posts ++