WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Quote Originally Posted by MuddyWaters View Post
    Op hasent been looking at chinese knockoffs apparently
    You can get one of them for a fraction of $200,
    I'd love some links to lighter, freestanding chinese knock-offs.

The 5+ lb ones I've seen didn't grab me, but I was probably looking in the wrong place.

And links were delivered. Thanks!

Ok. https://www.aliexpress.com/item/Natu...00023.8.u22BsI

1.8kg 3 Person 20D Silicone Fabric Double-layer Camping Tents NH Outdoor Tent ultralight 210T Plaid Fabric Tent

Four pounds (3.96).

Gray: 20D silicone ultralight three tents, Weight: 1.81kg (not including nail wind rope)

Orange and green: 210T lightweight three tents, Weight: 2.1kg (not including nail wind rope)

Two person

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/2016...00023.6.7YX8EP

Gray: 20D silicone ultralight Two tents, Weight: 1.24kg -- 2.7lb.

Look like BA clones.

Anyone with experience with this brand?

Quote Originally Posted by Offshore View Post
    I thought the same thing and had the chance to have a conversation about it with an REI corporate person at a preopening event at a new location a couple of years ago. This was shortly after the guarantee changed from forever to one year and seemed to coincide with the redesign of the Quarterdome line with much lighter materials. What I took from the conversation was that they were changing the direction for the REI brand from an "almost as good" value option to as good as the premium brands at a lower price. A couple of years later, you see it in their clothing and gear - lighter materials, better designs, etc. (The Quarterdomes were redesigned again this year and are a little lighter and the Flash line of packs has been refreshed - as two quick examples.)

As far as the warranty limiting their ability to use lighter materials and more innovative designs, it doesn't appear to be the case as they seem to be moving ahead with new products at a pretty fast pace. Besides, their warranty policy is very clear and specifically excludes normal wear and tear as well as damage due to misuse or accidents. You'll always have to deal with the customers with unreasonable expectations, but they evidently struck a balance. You also have to consider that performance materials are getting more and more mainstream, as they always have.

That is really neat.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
++ New Posts ++