WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 18 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 12 ... LastLast
    Images

Her name comes up mostly as a writer with hiking/outdoor experience. I read a couple of her articles and she writes well. But nothing out there on her regarding LD hiking, speed hiking, ultrarunning, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by ScottS View Post
    No, she's not. I don't have the impression she will make it out of GA on pace if at all. She doesn't have any real hiking or running experience. It honestly takes someone that far removed to think they can do this without the background.
    But she posted on the FKT board so I posted here.
    Fair enough... Should be some more serious fun later this year I reckon.

Yar- not to hard to sit there with a calculator and start running some numbers... 4mph for 10 hours a day looks like a low bar to limbo your eddie bauer pack under... but that's where the fun of it is for all of us.

Best of luck to her and happy trails. You never know until you try.

Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by 4eyedbuzzard View Post
    You would sure think anyone attempting a FKT would go out of their way to know and abide by State and local rules affecting the AT, especially after the Jurek incident. And that their sponsors, if any, would also raise a red flag.
    With respect to the AT in VT are they really laws and rules, or just strongly worded (and well-reasoned) requests?

I am pretty sure it's the latter.

I agree with your larger point, however.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by rickb View Post
    With respect to the AT in VT are they really laws and rules, or just strongly worded (and well-reasoned) requests?

I am pretty sure it's the latter.

I agree with your larger point, however.
    I believe that they usually are strongly worded requests. But they could legally close the trail (s) as USFS did following hurricane Irene. I'd also suggest that locally any ranger, police, or park authority could order you off under their far reaching duty and authority to protect the trail. It becomes a judgment call by them at that point, and you'll never win that one in court.

Quote Originally Posted by 4eyedbuzzard View Post
    Karl, Anish, and others were all later in the year. JPD STARTED June 21 SOBO, which meant going through NH and VT in early July, not late May. There's a reason for that, and it's more footpath condition than anything else I believe. And they are the absolute best at what they do. That's why I question the timing.
    That reason might have as much to do with the fact that her husband is a school teacher and that is when he was available to support?

Quote Originally Posted by rickb View Post
    It is state law for trails on state land, mostly for the Mt Mansfield and Camels Hump area. Apparently the AT does cross some state land which might be subject to the mud season law. That point I'm not clear on. The GMC does very strongly request people stay off all trails during mud season, even if they are not subject to state law.
    Follow slogoen on Instagram.

Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Slo-go'en View Post
    It is state law for trails on state land, mostly for the Mt Mansfield and Camels Hump area. Apparently the AT does cross some state land which might be subject to the mud season law. That point I'm not clear on. The GMC does very strongly request people stay off all trails during mud season, even if they are not subject to state law.
    ...and if they ever stepped in the seemingly bottomless sodden muck hole, people would realize its for their own good as well as good of the trail.
    Last edited by MuddyWaters; 04-08-2017 at 12:55.

If Wildcard Ninja can do it, so can she! You just have to balance out your cigarette breaks.

Looks like she started from Springer today. According to her Instagram.

I wish her luck. I watched Annish very closely. This doesn't have the same feel. The hammock alone is a hint to me that she's in for a wee little wake-up call on the trail. I can't see an FKTer stringing up a hammock every night, nor lugging the extra weight.

The invite for people to "join along" in her post on the FKT board is another clue that she may not know what she's getting into. Annish was purposely vague about her location to avoid any friendly drags.

Furthermore, her Instagram post says she intends to live blog from the trail. When? On breaks? Or in the dark from a shelter after hiking 44 miles? C'mon.

I do my own little mini FKTs fairly frequently -- 60 miles in two days, stuff like that. I can tell you that I don't want to talk to anybody and I can't imagine hanging a hammock. It's more like collapse on the ground for a few hours. I'm usually hiking dark-to-dark, (like Kirk, JPD, and Annish did). I do this for 3-4-5 days at a time. A sub-60 thru hike is tantamount to a no-oxygen Everest summit, in my opinion. JPD, Kirk, and Annish are awe inspiring.

I sincerely wish this gal good luck! I'm rooting for you! Prove me wrong!

I can't imagine packing a tent like Anish did... to each their own. Relatively speaking her gear style isn't very spartan ultrarunner; more of an efficient LD hiker. So hard to say what's ideal other than to use the gear that makes you most comfortable.

Oddly... playing with some FKT minded Hammock kits...there is some potential in such a system but I agree you still need a pad for throw down convenience. But getting up outta the mud and catching a reliably solid nights sleep has some very tangible benefits too. If you're going to waste time sleeping; might as well make the most of it. With some practice it doesn't take much more, if any more, time to string up the hammock compared to looking for a clean spot or clearing a spot so you don't pop your pad on a pinecone.

Joey Camps had a pretty smooth system for updates... he spent some time getting his voice to text stuff to work on his fancy phone... so wasn't much more work that pressing send when he had a signal at a gas station stop or during a break. He kinda enjoyed the little mental break of it I believe. Not saying that's this gal's plan though.

But yar- best of luck indeed.

Is it just me or does she just need to start hiking already?! I'm ready to watch her fly by and it seems to be taking forever!!! Best of luck, does she have a Trail name?

Quote Originally Posted by Just Bill View Post
    I can't imagine packing a tent like Anish did...
    Even though that tent weighed only a pound, I was a bit surprised by it too. Kirk's bivy approach seems most efficient (and lightest) to me. Wouldn't one want/need a tarp with a hammock?

She fell 10 miles short of her goal day one. She hiked 39.

Quote Originally Posted by Nodust View Post
    She fell 10 miles short of her goal day one. She hiked 39.
    That's double, maybe treble, the average starting day for most.
    She gets my respect.
    Wayne

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Eddie Valiant: "That lame-brain freeway idea could only be cooked up by a toon."
    https://wayne-ayearwithbigfootandbubba.blogspot.com
    FlickrMyBookTwitSpaceFace

Quote Originally Posted by Venchka View Post
    She gets my respect.
    Maybe if you're out there doing a personal best or something, but not if you have corporate sponsors and declare an FKT attempt. That invites scrutiny. Looks like day one was a little bit of a wake-up call.

Did you get the mileage update from her Instagram feed or somewhere else?

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Venchka View Post
    That's double, maybe treble, the average starting day for most.
    She gets my respect.
    39 miles is about 31 miles farther than the average starter, methinks. When we ended last week at Woody Gap (sobo section from NC), the guy driving the shuttle from the Hiker Hostel saw a northbound hiker and was amazed that she had made it to Woody from Springer in two days - a total of 20 miles. Told her she was making really great time, compared to all the other hikers he has seen. I think the vast majority of starting hikers are going to Hawk Mtn on the first day.
    Ken B
    'Big Cranky'
    Our Long Trail journal

It is really hard for me to understand why world record hopefuls don't run a realistic test of their purely theoretical mileage plans. I would think the fact that the most experienced, most athletic hikers in history have never been that fast would be the first clue that it takes good genetics, experience, and very tough training to break established records like this.

I think part of the problem is many people are convinced that they can accomplish anything they set their minds to, and that simply isn't true.

The AT will crush one's ego very quickly; that is for sure.

Quote Originally Posted by Rmcpeak View Post
    Maybe if you're out there doing a personal best or something, but not if you have corporate sponsors and declare an FKT attempt. That invites scrutiny. Looks like day one was a little bit of a wake-up call.

Did you get the mileage update from her Instagram feed or somewhere else?
    That was from her Instagram. That's the only place I've seen anything about it.

Page 2 of 18 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 12 ... LastLast
++ New Posts ++