WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 13 of 18 FirstFirst ... 3 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 ... LastLast
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Just Bill View Post
    I'm older than I smell.

Sigh... good for her. Seriously.

But if one of you is on instagram it would be a serious kindness to just tell he
    r that hitching DQ's her. As someone pointed out above- there's a decent chance it was more than one hitch if she's going with a low carry weight/frequent resupply strategy.

From a cynics point of view... if she pulled it off the controversy would generate PR... so carry on I guess.

From the more human side of things- its fairly cruel to let her keep slugging it out if she truly is a contender. If it's just going to be an admirable hike... my admiration is standing by at the ready. But if it's meant to be an FKT that dream is dead.
    Personally, I'd like to know weather she knew hitching DQs her and did it anyway or she did not know it. Both cases DQs her either for not knowing the self imposing rules or breaking them knowingly. If it is her personal challenge and achievement then it is her record not a FKT.

Popping the corn now... this is better than cable

I'm older than I smell.

Sigh... good for her. Seriously.

But if one of you is on instagram it would be a serious kindness to just tell her that hitching DQ's her. As someone pointed out above- there's a decent chance it was more than one hitch if she's going with a low carry weight/frequent resupply strategy.

From a cynics point of view... if she pulled it off the controversy would generate PR... so carry on I guess.

From the more human side of things- its fairly cruel to let her keep slugging it out if she truly is a contender. If it's just going to be an admirable hike... my admiration is standing by at the ready. But if it's meant to be an FKT that dream is dead.
    It should come from a serious authority on the matter.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Rmcpeak View Post
    It should come from a serious authority on the matter.

like the ones that come before?

Quote Originally Posted by kythruhiker View Post
    That'd be the best case scenario if she cares about actual besting Anish's FKT, which I'd assume she does based on the fact that she posted her intent on the FKT thread. Seems like she might have the legs for it, especially dealing with foot problems so early on. If she'd take a couple weeks to heal up after this shake down, she might have a legit chance.
    better still!
    trail name; "Heel Up"

Quote Originally Posted by kythruhiker View Post
    That'd be the best case scenario if she cares about actual besting Anish's FKT, which I'd assume she does based on the fact that she posted her intent on the FKT thread. Seems like she might have the legs for it, especially dealing with foot problems so early on. If she'd take a couple weeks to heal up after this shake down, she might have a legit chance.
    I don't think it would take a few weeks; wouldn't suggest it actually. If she is indeed hitting her stride then this truly could be a shakedown week and warm up. Maybe a true day off for travel only if feeling good, and a 10 or 20 to stay loose then back at it.
    That's assuming her feet are in better shape overall; which mileage might indicate they are. If her feet are shot... then a few weeks would be good but then the healing recovery cycle would kick in and she'd be starting over. If her feet are good to go I'd just bounce back to Springer and hit it.

Quote Originally Posted by chknfngrs View Post
    I'm following her Instagram feed but not sure I'd be the right entity to raise this
    Feel free to make me the bad guy if you prefer. Tell her there's a dude on WB who pretends to know what he's talking about and says she's wasting her time.
    She's welcome to contact me via the email in my signature directly if she'd like.

Seriously- this is motivated by respect for her as a person and for someone making an honest and potentially serious attempt. She aint no ninja.
    But I sure as hell don't want to see what happened to Joey happen again to anyone. FKT's are a competition against yourself- seeing people succeed is what it's about. The guidelines are not to keep people down, but to keep it clean.
    Nobody will take any joy in kicking the podium out from under her if she pulls it off... but those are the rules and the rules ain't personal. I will unhappily call for a DQ as enthusiastically as I will celebrate a clean FKT. I'd rather do the latter.

Images

I don't think it would take a few weeks; wouldn't suggest it actually. If she is indeed hitting her stride then this truly could be a shakedown week and warm up. Maybe a true day off for travel only if feeling good, and a 10 or 20 to stay loose then back at it.
    That's assuming her feet are in better shape overall; which mileage might indicate they are. If her feet are shot... then a few weeks would be good but then the healing recovery cycle would kick in and she'd be starting over. If her feet are good to go I'd just bounce back to Springer and hit it.

Yeah, I agree, basing that few weeks on the pictures I saw of her feet the other day - looks like she may have had a pretty good infection going in a toe, but hard to really tell from the brief reports you can get on that Instant Gram thing. If they are already healing up and tolerable, then a day or two off she should be in prime shape to hit it hard again. Interesting to see how she proceeds, regardless.

I formally state my intentions here–as per the protocol established on the main page of this site–that I will be attempting to set a self-supported FKT on the Appalachian Trail beginning in early August.
    I have immense respect for the long line of people who have traveled this well-established and historical path in a quest to find their personal limits. In keeping with protocols established by them, and by myself on previous endeavors, I will travel in a self-supported manner.
    This means:
    Arranging for no pre-planned outside support at any time, and only accepting truly random acts of kindness (trail magic) that come my way.
    I will carry all of my own gear and supplies at all times (no "slackpacking" or "muling").
    I will walk into and out of resupply locations where I will purchase food and/or collect supply boxes that I have sent to myself.
    I will follow the Appalachian Trail and official relocations only (such as the detour around Falls Village, CT), no blue blaze or alternate routes.
    When I leave the trail for resupply purposes, I will rejoin the trail at the same location I left, leaving a continuous line of footprints the entire distance.
    Never accepting a ride in a vehicle for any reason.
    As always, I will respect the wilderness landscape, the lives that dwell therein, other trail users, and the generations of users that will follow by practicing Leave No Trace Ethics.
    Per the main page suggestions I will provide a way for the public to follow along with my progress at facebook.com/AnishHikes. Please understand that the posts made there are in NO WAY an invitation for anyone to attempt to help me, find me, join me, or otherwise take away from the nature of a thru-hiker's journey. They are intended to document only, as suggested by this site. I will carry a SPOT beacon, although for safety, its logs will not be publicly available in real time.

I hope in my endeavor to not only bring parity to the male and female self-supported records, but if possible lower it overall. These records are currently held by Mr. Kirk and Miss Thomas, both of whom I hold in very high esteem.

This is my second journey through these ancient mountains and I look forward once again to the joy, struggle, challenge, and beauty of a 2,000+ mi hike undertaken in pursuit of finding and expanding my personal limits.

Heather "Anish" Anderson

http://fastestknowntime.proboards.co...n-trail?page=3

I didn't even know there was a Dairy Queen on the trail

Feel free to copy and paste that to her feed or facey or whatever you like.
    Those are the standards she must follow to attempt to claim the self-supported FKT on the AT currently held by Heather Anderson.
    Nothing personal.

Taken at face value that appears to be the intention of her post on FKT http://fastestknowntime.proboards.co...n-trail?page=6

Hello fellow hikers!

I would like to announce my intention of breaking the FKT on a self-supported thru hike of the Appalachian Trail. The current record, set by Heather "Anish" Anderson, is 53 days 7 hours and 48 minutes. I will begin my trek in late April 2017 and plan to finish in the beginning of June 2017. I will have my DeLorme inReach Explorer with me to track my progress and will also be updating my Instagram account when service and time allow. You can follow along on Instagram kathrynmjones

I welcome all thoughts, comments, and advice from my fellow hikers and adventurers. Let me know if you'd like to join along for any portion of the trail. Thank you all for your support

See you on the trail!

Sincerely,
    Kathryn Jones

Quote Originally Posted by rocketsocks View Post
    I didn't even know there was a Dairy Queen on the trail
    Neither did I... but I could go for a blizzard now.
    How would one call for a dairy queen anyway? Or is that some version of those spouse calling competitions but held in Vermont or Wisconsin?

Now I want some Cabot extra sharp and a pint of ben and jerry's.

All I know is do not eat the hot dogs at DQ. Else you gunna need that baphrum double quick yo.

Neither did I... but I could go for a blizzard now.
    How would one call for a dairy queen anyway? Or is that some version of those spouse calling competitions but held in Vermont or Wisconsin?

Now I want some Cabot extra sharp and a pint of ben and jerry's.

All I know is do not eat the hot dogs at DQ. Else you gunna need that baphrum double quick yo.
    the blizzards gonna come...call it a hunch. +1 on the no dq dogs.

Latest Instagram has her igoing to town for medical care for possible infection.

Not good... but a great chance to start over! Maybe the trail is looking out for her

Put up a post on FKT... though maybe moot for this one... hopefully we can get this cleaned up overall.

Quote Originally Posted by Southeast View Post
    Latest Instagram has her igoing to town for medical care for possible infection.

Complete with video from the bed of a pick-up.
    I sent a get well soon and start over message via Instagram. Probably the lamest thing I've done on the Internet.
    Oh well. Blame it on the Old Guy. I can take it.
    Wayne

Eddie Valiant: "That lame-brain freeway idea could only be cooked up by a toon."
    https://wayne-ayearwithbigfootandbubba.blogspot.com
    FlickrMyBookTwitSpaceFace

That's a Hardcore infection! Glad she's getting it taken care of. If she is able to continue it will be a mighty feat (sorry) to compete with Annish's time. And we'll have two rides to town to deal with.

Wouldn't just be FKT w rides?

Not good... but a great chance to start over! Maybe the trail is looking out for her

Put up a post on FKT... though maybe moot for this one... hopefully we can get this cleaned up overall.
    OK, I'll take the hit. I message her on Instagram. I'd want to know that there was a legit concern if I were her. Here's what I wrote:

Hardcore, you should be aware that there has been an ongoing conversation on Whiteblaze.net and now FKT proboards centered around the question as to whether your previous hitch into town and now today's would disqualify your hike as the self supported AT FKT. Your stated intent was to best Annish's record, but Annish did not at any time during her hike ride in a motor vehicle for any purpose. Please understand that there are many who support you and it has been suggested that, out of care for you, as a fellow hiker, you should be alerted to the concern about your hike from at least one group of knowledgeable and interested people.

Some have even wished that you would restart your hike because we are so confident in your ability to set a new self-supported FKT and we want there to be no controversy about your style.

Congratulations to you for making what was surely a very difficult decision to seek medical attention for your infected toe.

Good luck on getting back to the trail as safely and quickly as possible.

Quote Originally Posted by Venchka View Post
    Complete with video from the bed of a pick-up.
    I sent a get well soon and start over message via Instagram. Probably the lamest thing I've done on the Internet.
    Oh well. Blame it on the Old Guy. I can take it.
    Wayne

Hadn't seen that you'd done that. Glad we got it covered.

Quote Originally Posted by Rmcpeak View Post
    OK, I'll take the hit. I message her on Instagram. I'd want to know that there was a legit concern if I were her. Here's what I wrote:

Hardcore, you should be aware that there has been an ongoing conversation on Whiteblaze.net and now FKT proboards centered around the question as to whether your previous hitch into town and now today's would disqualify your hike as the self supported AT FKT. Your stated intent was to best Annish's record, but Annish did not at any time during her hike ride in a motor vehicle for any purpose. Please understand that there are many who support you and it has been suggested that, out of care for you, as a fellow hiker, you should be alerted to the concern about your hike from at least one group of knowledgeable and interested people.

Some have even wished that you would restart your hike because we are so confident in your ability to set a new self-supported FKT and we want there to be no controversy about your style.

Congratulations to you for making what was surely a very difficult decision to seek medical attention for your infected toe.

Good luck on getting back to the trail as safely and quickly as possible.
    Nicely written.

Page 13 of 18 FirstFirst ... 3 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 ... LastLast
++ New Posts ++